Thread: PS2 Rumble feature not working?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Rumble feature not working?

I have 5 different dual shock controllers, and all of them have no rumble. I though maybe it was that all of them were broken, so when I bought my 5th brand new controller it STILL did not work. This makes certain games harder to play (like SOCOM, where hit detection from bullets is a must) So I came to the conclusion that it must be my system.

I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, and how you went about fixing this problem, or how might I fix it (controller input ports dirty?)

Thanks!

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a fuse on the motherboard that goes bad.

It's fairly common and not to hard to fix.

You can replace the fuse or some people just remove it and solder the 2 points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Take the PS2 apart.

2. Remove the Power Supply motherboard.

3. After removing the Power Supply Board, you will need to remove the metal shroud and expose the entire PS2 Motherboard.

4. Once you have done this look around the connector for the Power supply board on the PS2 mother board. You will see a number (maybe around 4 of them all located within 2 inches of the Power supply connector) of fuses with "S7" written on it.

5. The one you are looking for has the text "PS9" written on the motherboard next to it.

6. Check it with a multi-meter, for continuity, there will none. If you are not sure, you can check all of them, when the buzzing on multi-meter stops, that’s the one.

7. To repair it, use a strand of wire or a spare fuse from another PS2. Solder it on both sides of the fuse in order to close the connection.

8. Reassemble the PS2.

If you know what version moherboard you have I can put a picture of the motherboard up which shows where the fuse is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks. I have never soldered before, and do not know what a multi-meter is. A pic would be great! also is there a way to fix it without soldering, like the replacement you were talking about?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    ok thanks. I have never soldered before, and do not know what a multi-meter is. A pic would be great! also is there a way to fix it without soldering, like the replacement you were talking about?
    No you have to solder. A replacement fuse has to be soldered to the spot where the blown fuse is de-soldered from.

Here's a pic of the v4 motherboard. It's the PS9 fuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    And a multimeter is an instrument used to check voltage, amperage, and more in electronic devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So after wading around inside the hellish layout of the PS2 for a good 2 hours or so, and making numerous attempts at reassembly, my controllers finally vibrate again.

http://www.psrtech.co.uk/fuses.htm

There's some good board diagrams. If you have a v7 PS2 (like me), then you need to replace the PS7 fuse. The fuse on my board was much smaller than the one in the picture, but I just hotwired the solder points and everything seems okay.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some Rez. ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    The fuse on my board was much smaller than the one in the picture, but I just hotwired the solder points and everything seems okay.
    Fuses exist and are there for a reason. Figuring out where the problem is and doing a quick fix to collect data on seeing if you've addressed the problem is one thing - but fixing it correctly is another.

*looks over at Genny 2 PS plugged into JVC X'Eye* ..uh, nevermind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is NOT a fix for a soldering newbie no matter what anyone else in this thread says.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    This is NOT a fix for a soldering newbie no matter what anyone else in this thread says.
    I just re-read the ENTIRE thread and couldn't find ANYWHERE where anyone said this fix was for a newbie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's fairly common and not to hard to fix.
    Otherwise your help was more or less accurate, but too version specific to be useful to someone who does not know what a multimeter is, let alone how to remove and solder a replacement SMF.

This thread is a recipe for the thread starter to take a working PS2, and render it into a bag of parts.

He should get it repaired, or learn to live without rumble. If he takes it apart, my guess is he will end up having to buy a new one.

First, do no harm.

Anyway, your advice was accurate and more specific than what I gave, so kudos to you. My concern is that a general How to, for SMF replacement, is not what this poster really needs. Unless of course we don't care if he ends up with a useless bag of parts. I care.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might notice that I gave the "How To" BEFORE he mentioned he didn't know how to solder or what a multimeter is.

And the statement " It's fairly common and not to hard to fix. " automatically assumes that the user is familiar with electronics and soldering. I shouldn't have to clarify every time I make a statement that the statement only applies to certain people. That's what intelligent thought is for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair enough.

When I post, I assume that the person is not familiar with elecronics and soldering. More people are not familiar than are.

SMF soldering is at the very least intermediate level soldering, in my estimation. I see so much bad info on the boards, it's important to me that posters get as good info as possible. Your info was good, but IMO, only for those who could likely have figured it out themselves anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well heck , I'm not arguing with you here.

Just trying to help out people who ask questions. I guess I figure I'll give people the know-how and it's up to them to see if they want to try it.

Everyone has to start somewhere right? My first project was a micro F.M. transmitter with a huge soldering gun and a massive roll of solder. Messed that one up real good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend not to brag about the failed attempts.