Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you see the 5th generation XBOX in "The Island"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did you see the 5th generation XBOX in "The Island"

There is a new movie that has been out for awhile in Theaters, starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johannson or however their names are spelled.

It's called "The Island" and it's kinda a modern day interpretation of "Logan's Run" except it's about cloning.

Anyways, in this movie, they show the 5th generation XBOX technology.

Michael Bay, the director of the movie actually went to Microsoft and asked them what will games be like in 20 years, and what you see in the movie is their interpretation of that.

The movie shows Obi Wan and the Blonde chick playing some type of boxing/fighting type game, and it's pretty interesting to see if that type of thing is in our future.

I saw this movie quite awhile ago, and I thought that somebody might have mentioned the fact that it shows what I feel is the most realistic guess as to what the future of gaming might be like, but I don't think anybody here has brought this up yet.

So I figured I would mention it.

Also, if you like Sci Fi movies, then I think you will enjoy this movie. I was a big fan of Logan's Run when I was a little kid, and this is like a remake, except with more realistic themes to it. I thought it was pretty good, and raised alot of very interesting questions.

Of course the main reason I have this in the video game forum is for the scene that shows a future XBOX, and a glimpse at one possible future of gaming.

By the way, Microsoft payed less than $500,000 for that advertising, which turns out to be smart on their part, considering the movie has done pretty crappy at the box office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just so you know, "The Island" is a rip-off of a cheesey movie from the 70s called "Parts: The Clonus Horror."(It can be seen in an episode of MST3k) The plot is exactly the same, and it's not credited as a remake. The director of the original is filing a lawsuit, I hope he wins.

EDIT:
    " On Monday, August 8, Robert S. Fiveson and Myrl A. Schreibman, producers of PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR (seen in episode 811) filed suit in New York claiming DreamWorks and Warner Bros. cribbed their movie for The Island. In addition to unspecified financial compensation, Fiveson and Schreibman want The Island withdrawn from theaters and any further release barred, reports Daily Variety.

The copyright infringement suit lists 90 instances where the movies are identical. DreamWorks released a statement Tuesday saying, "'The Island' does not infringe on anyone's copyrights." Warner said it does not comment on pending litigation."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, The Island wasn't very original. Much like how Equilibrium was essentially a Farenheit 451 rip off, The first half of The Island is essentially THX 1138, all the way down to using the same. fucking. shots.

But i still loved it.

Even with all of the blatant advertising. I normally don't complain about it because I think it adds to the immersion and realisim in movies, but they went totally overboard in The Island. MSN Search booths, Aqufina and Xbox commercials within a few seconds of each other, etc. My favorite was probably when Ewen McGreggor was at the guy's house and the shot starts off with a close up on the beer bottle's label before the hand comes in and picks it up from outside the frame.

so yea, while I loved the movie, I'm not too sad that it bombed in theaters. They probably made enough money advertising other peoples' products in it that they broke even pretty quickly...heh...

TANGENT: I wish Treyarch had done a game based on the movie, similar to what they did for Spiderman and Minority Report. Those guys rock

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 5

All this is is a DDR pad combined with an Eyetoy and plugged into a front (holographic) projector instead of a TV.

Thought it was pretty cool in the movie but there were no backgrounds, just the fighters, and it looked like way to much excercise for the average, or even above average, gamer.

Trebuken

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Xbox 5

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    All this is is a DDR pad combined with an Eyetoy and plugged into a front (holographic) projector instead of a TV.

Thought it was pretty cool in the movie but there were no backgrounds, just the fighters, and it looked like way to much excercise for the average, or even above average, gamer.

Trebuken
    Not if the above average gamer in question plays DDR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Xbox 5

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Not if the above average gamer in question plays DDR.
    I guess it depends on if the person in question is a "bar grabber" or not

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose I should go and see that flick now before it gets yanked just so I can say I've seen it.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats pretty interesting. I find the fact that they actually researched what gaming would (or could) be like 20 years from now very cool. I do find it weird that Microsoft had to pay for this 'advertising' though. Did they say that it was an Xbox? If They did, I guess I could understand, but if not then I don't see why they would pay for it.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Thats pretty interesting. I find the fact that they actually researched what gaming would (or could) be like 20 years from now very cool. I do find it weird that Microsoft had to pay for this 'advertising' though. Did they say that it was an Xbox? If They did, I guess I could understand, but if not then I don't see why they would pay for it.
    Yes, they did. There were XBOX and MSN logos all over the movie. Other rampant advertising in the movie included Puma, Aquafina, Speedo, Michelob and Aliied Cab. I know there were more, but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ever see the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "The 6th Day"? It's about cloning and this made me think about it.

The interactive technology in this movie, or rather what an evolution of video games could be, is what will likely become reality. Arnold's buddy in the movie has a holographic girlfriend that uses a special chair to interact with. Now, if interactive projections actually get made you know that this sort of program will be the best selling. Who wants to simulate getting shot? In Star Trek they have the super-awesome holodecks, how would anything productive ever get done?

As for future advertising, "The 6th Day" features the XFL quite prominently in the beginning. I don't know much about football, but I know that XFL isn't still around. "Blade Runner" has an awesome neon Atari sign, but you never see anyone playing one.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow...I didn't realize tha this movie basiacally ripped off two seperate movies. Weird... I need to see those 2 flicks now.

When I saw it in the theater, it was actually a pretty good movie and worth seeing. I know cloning people for parts isn't the most original idea, but they did a good job with it.

Oh, and did they actually say that was a Gen 5 XBox? Considering the time setting of the movie, I would have thought it was like 13th gen or something (was it the 2060s? I forget.).

-ROb
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it was like 2015 or 2020, somewhere in that period.

Yes, they did. There were XBOX and MSN logos all over the movie. Other rampant advertising in the movie included Puma, Aquafina, Speedo, Michelob and Aliied Cab. I know there were more, but I can't think of them right now.
    Most of the cars were Dodges. The placement didn't really make sense in the underground "lair", but overall the movie was a decent matinee IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSN
    Ever see the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "The 6th Day"? It's about cloning and this made me think about it.

The interactive technology in this movie, or rather what an evolution of video games could be, is what will likely become reality. Arnold's buddy in the movie has a holographic girlfriend that uses a special chair to interact with. Now, if interactive projections actually get made you know that this sort of program will be the best selling. Who wants to simulate getting shot? In Star Trek they have the super-awesome holodecks, how would anything productive ever get done?

As for future advertising, "The 6th Day" features the XFL quite prominently in the beginning. I don't know much about football, but I know that XFL isn't still around. "Blade Runner" has an awesome neon Atari sign, but you never see anyone playing one.
    I've always said that the holodeck would be mankind's last invention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    TANGENT: I wish Treyarch had done a game based on the movie, similar to what they did for Spiderman and Minority Report. Those guys rock
    Um, have you played Minority Report? The reviews were absolutely abysmal (though some thought that the publisher should be blamed for imposing unreasonable time constraints).

Anyway, there's already a thread about this movie in the Sci-Fi forum. I thought it was rather more subtle in some ways than other movies of this sort, perhaps because of the nice Hans Zimmer music.

So, will Jack Thompson start suing Microsoft to prevent them from realizing their dreams of ultra-violence after he sees this movie? (Wait, if he actually saw this movie that would imply he was in touch with reality.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Um, have you played Minority Report? The reviews were absolutely abysmal (though some thought that the publisher should be blamed for imposing unreasonable time constraints).
    Oh yes, i LOVED the game. There were a few bad levels in there (defending the door in the Mall midway through the game was a pain in the ass and probably the hardest level in the game), but overall I felt it was a hella fun 3d beat 'em up. Being really loosly based on the source material gave them a nice sci fi setting and some neat devices (the jet pack was good fun), while the fighting system was like an update to Die Hard Arcade taken to 11. Ragdoll physics were a blast to play with , and simple words can't describe the joy of chucking someone through 3 panes of glass and watching the body tumble 4 floors down.

But hey, reviewers were also savage in regards to Sub Rebellion and ChoroQ (ChoroQ HG4), both of which are games I dearly love as well

Back to the topic though, this movie can't come out on DVD soon enough. Someone is going to do the no-advertising edit of the movie, and then it'll kick even more ass. Looked like most of the stuff could have been cut out really easily since the scenes were pretty isolated (gotta clip out a little side story part to fully get rid of the Xbox deal, but it shouldn't be hard).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the island... i heard of that movie. haven't seen it yet. heard good reviews on that movie. the previews looks great. well maybe i should go watch it and see how good it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Sorry, I just gotta step in and defend Minority Report too.. it was a really fun game. Any game where I can pretty much destroy any object in the level is alright with me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious
    Sorry, I just gotta step in and defend Minority Report too.. it was a really fun game. Any game where I can pretty much destroy any object in the level is alright with me!
    I haven't played the console version yet, but the GBA Minority Report was pretty much horrible. And I'm pretty generous when rating games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    I haven't played the console version yet, but the GBA Minority Report was pretty much horrible. And I'm pretty generous when rating games.
    In general, it's fair to say that if a game is licensed and on GBA, it's going to be horrible.

There's a few exceptions to the rule here and there... Everything or Nothing on GBA was actually pretty good, for instance....but yea...the GBA is a wasteland of second rate piss poor licensed titles with the occasional good title here and there .

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The world's longest informercial, the movie was called.

I'm sure there've been longer.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."