Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video game "geek" on MTV's "Room Raiders"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like finances were more of a problem than age...
    The guy I got my Odyssey2 from for example... he bought it pretty close to launch, 1977 I think he said. He was 42 at the time... some would say that is too old to be into video games but he kept the thing and played it while taking care of it for nearly 30 years before passing it my way. Here's to 30 more!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The question we have to ask is.. what kind of desparate person has to go onto tv to get a date.

Dont know what the fuss is about really. Been single is great you can do what you want & buy what you like without been questioned & nagged ever 10 seconds that you bought another game

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say, if I was actually in a serious relationship with someone that I loved, and the games were a problem, then they would be gone in a second.

They're just not that important to me. Just like smoking (I smoke like I play games. Occasionally, and for light enjoyment). If they are that important to you, then I guess you shouldn't someone dictate how you live your life .. but for me, they are a low priority.

If it was my books, however ... that would be a different matter!

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    I have to say, if I was actually in a serious relationship with someone that I loved, and the games were a problem, then they would be gone in a second.

They're just not that important to me. Just like smoking (I smoke like I play games. Occasionally, and for light enjoyment). If they are that important to you, then I guess you shouldn't someone dictate how you live your life .. but for me, they are a low priority.

Vroomfunkel
    Yeah, but if she actually loved you, then the games shouldn't be a problem.

I mean, if two people love each other, truly, their hobbies shouldn't have to be sacrificed.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox

I mean, if two people love each other, truly, their hobbies shouldn't have to be sacrificed.
    I agree. When I moved here and started dating my girlfriend she hadn't played a video game for a long while as it was not a big thing to her (as well as she couldn't afford to.) I arrived with a Sony Playstation and like 7 games. One NES later (donated by her brother who had had it boxed up in a closet) and the process began. Now we have 9 systems, 3 handhelds, 4 TV Games, and 200+ games!! Oh, and she's obsessed with Animal Crossing.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another shallow dating program...

I am a female gamer (shock and amazement! well, not really... someone should be able to figure that out from my username.) and have been for 17 years.

The surprise and utter bullshit over girls playing games bothers me, needless to say. If I had a dollar for every time someone has said "OMG a girl who plays games!!!1" in recent weeks, I could afford Radiant Silvergun.

I have an Atari 2600 (one of the woodgrain models), an NES frontloader, a Super NES model 1, a Genesis model 2, a PSone, a big fat PS2, a digital AV out capable Gamecube, a version 1 Dreamcast, and a cobalt GBA SP. I play all of my systems on occasion, and am on a Dreamcast and Game Boy kick at the moment. Favorite games: Mortal Kombat (II and Deception especially), Katamari Damacy, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, and The Legend of Zelda (personal favorite is Ocarina, and I am still bummed over the Twilight Princess delay).

All in all, this odd fantasy and fascination over girls who play games should not be that big of an issue, but it seems that will be the case for a long time.

Guys, fill me in on the girl gamer fascination if you please. I'm off to play Capcom vs. SNK.

-Sailorneorune-

P.S. Yes, I do have a boyfriend, and I can destroy him at Super Smash Bros. Melee. :P
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monkey Butt

So does your boyfriend like games, or does he take on the typical girl roll in thinking that you are wasting your time?
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel

Vroomfunkel

EXACTLY! But to a lot of girls that doesn't even matter, it's just your "cool factor" that matters.

I personally would not stop doing what I love doing just because someone else doesn't like that, what next? Can't choose your own clothes anymore?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll say that when in a relationship if you care for one another then what someone does as a hobby is a non-issue.

However, this entire topic is based upon some crappy and shallow show that appears on a crappy and shallow channel that still has the nerve to call itself "MUSIC" TV.

I think "Beavis and Butthead" is the only thing that network did right during the 1990's...aside from maybe "Unplugged".

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet that guy posts here.

...anyways, there was one Room Raiders where the girl didn't choose one guy because he had some action figures and said "Toys are lame!" When the guys went through her room they found a bunch of stuffed animals in her closet, haha...
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    You know, I hate to be negative. Yet NES isn't the only greatest original system. Sure it was impressive. Yet show me a Neo Geo AES, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari 5200, Gemini Coleco, and INTV 3....then we'll talk...and say "WTFBBQ!? ASL!!"

I just get sick of the kids acting like NES is the only oldest system out there...I love my NES, yet we all know other systems that are true trophies
    It may surprise you to know that the average guy on the street does NOT (gasp!) actively collect old videogames! Furthermore, it may further surprise you to learn that most people of my generation had an NES, were too old for that other stuff, and too poor to own a Neo Geo when they were kids!

Shocking but true!
    I'm speaking about the "average" person who thinks NES is the only thing out there.

Yet, i think you forgot about the other systems I have mentioned, Mr. Too Poor to Own a Neo.

I think it may further surprise to you that nobody could afford one back then! SHOCKING BUT TRUE!

Yet, it may surprise you more, that you missed the point. SHOCKING BUT TRUE!

Oh did I mention Shocking but true? Because it is!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Monkey Butt

Quote Originally Posted by rpepper9
    So does your boyfriend like games, or does he take on the typical girl roll in thinking that you are wasting your time?
    No, actually, we play cooperatively and against each other all the time. We like a lot of the same games, but have differing opinions of games like GTA (liked Vice City, didn't care for San Andreas, btw). We both play fighters and RPGs most of the time.

I just happen to be much better with games like SSBM and Katamari Damacy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my girlfriend in envious of my games!!in fact, she has wanted a nes for a while(used to have one, it broke) so, even though her b-day i almost 2 months away, i already found one, and im picking up a few games for it.

"And shepards we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power from hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patri et Fili Spiritu Sancte"

drwily008: A kodiak bear bent on world domination.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

You guys are all dorks!1! HAH HAH! Losers!!11!

(looks back at thousands of games)

Fuck.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The show was staged, the girls were stupid and yet another insult to female gamers, and you all now know that I am a Katamari fan.

/na na nanana na na na
    nana na na na na na...

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Couples that game together stay together. Unfortunately, all too often once a guy has a steady relationship he begins to neglect his woman and pay more attention to his games. DO NOT TAKE YOUR RELATIONSHIP FOR GRANTED. Wine her and dine her, get her so drunk she passes out and then play your games just do not let them become a priority over her. Unless of course you are trying to get rid of her...then this approach works quite well.

Of course if your ball and chain likes to play as much or more than you, you my friend are golden and I envy you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluteg
    If a chick doesn't pick a guy because of his video games, that is very sad on her part. Personally I feel if she is going to be so superficious that she denies a date to a guy because of a hobby that doesn't show much of her intelligence. She should stay in the clubs getting fucked by some stranger every night because that is all she is worth and deserves with an attitude like that.
    I totally agree with this. There's so many people that collect video games or play them in their free time, but that doesn't mean they are boring, lame, or non-adventurous people that do nothing else with their lives.

Example:
    My last girlfriend that I dated for over 3 years thought video games were more important to me than her, and yet I'm the one buying cheep 2-7$ classic games and taking her to 50$ dinners a week AND she played my games. Women like that are the real gnorant useless people that bitch because they don't understand hobbies.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount
    I think its kind of dumb trying to find someone exactly like yourself.

If it's involving ethnic or religious similarities, then it's far from dumb. In those cases, it's probably by far the best option. But as far as hobbies and shit like that...agreed. You don't want to be there trying to outdo/impress each other in the hobby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW...I could see a person having a problem with a partner's gaming IF it was in excess. Meaning they live together/married and one is spending all the money on games when they should be using that money for food or bills. Priorities. Also, if a hobby is say, doing illicit drugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    You guys are all dorks!1! HAH HAH! Losers!!11!

(looks back at thousands of games)

Fuck.

-Rob
    x_x