Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I become featured "Collector" in game mag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How do I become featured "Collector" in game mag

What do you have to do to be featured as a certain game mag's monthly collector?

I regularly read "Games tm", and every month they have a different collector, with a short Q&A section, and a load of pics of the collector's collection...

This month they have upgraded the section to a double page spread (Which is nice)

However, a majority of collector's they tend to feature have a load of crap. And so many of them tend to waffle on about how they scour car boot sales and the pre-owned sections of GameStation etc... It gets a bit boring after a while to be honest...

The people they feature may have decent collections, but they are all teh same ~ Ie, a shed load of NES carts, a few rarities like Radiant Silvergun, and then they show off their Neo Geo AES collection... Boooorrrriiiiiinnnnggggg. Every. Single. Month.

Pah, and this month the guy goes on about how he found a 32X copy of Primal Rage for a few quid... He then wasted no time in quoting Anagrama's auction which sold for over £300 recently...

Have they never heard of variety? Where do they find these so called "Collector's" anyway?

I would sure like to feature as their featured collector one month, and show them what a real collection consists of! And I think I have worked a hell of a lot harder to aquire some of the rarities that I own, more than just pot-luck at some car boot sale...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The guy who edits the GamesTM Retro section posts on a few UK gaming sites, and was asking for volunteers to be part of it recently.

And to be honest, I'd be much more interested in reading about the stuff that people have found and gathered in the wild, rather than some rich kid who buys anything he wants but refuses to actually open or play any of his games. But maybe that's just me...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    And to be honest, I'd be much more interested in reading about the stuff that people have found and gathered in the wild, rather than some rich kid who buys anything he wants but refuses to actually open or play any of his games. But maybe that's just me...
    You're not alone. I like hearing about a person that gets lucky and finds an R10 for 25 cents or some other insanely low price. Then again, I like seeing people's collections with a lot of rare and interesting stuff in them also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djb1986
    You're not alone. I like hearing about a person that gets lucky and finds an R10 for 25 cents or some other insanely low price. Then again, I like seeing people's collections with a lot of rare and interesting stuff in them also.
    I'm interested in hearing what both types of people have to say. The only thing that bugs me (like Gemini-Phoenix said) is that it is very similar from week-to-week. I love hearing about storys of people finding an R10 for a buck, but I also love hearing about a guy spending $4000 for an NWC cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I & several people here got into Tips & Tricks thanks to Joe Santulli (who runs this site!) I sent him some pix of my collection w/ a few blurbs about its highlights & BAM! A few months later I was published! I thought it was pretty cool, others I know/showed- somewhat less so.

Maybe he's still doing it using pix from the Collectors' Page?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BURN! Damn that was Hot!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    I & several people here got into Tips & Tricks thanks to Joe Santulli (who runs this site!) I sent him some pix of my collection w/ a few blurbs about its highlights & BAM! A few months later I was published! I thought it was pretty cool, others I know/showed- somewhat less so.

Maybe he's still doing it using pix from the Collectors' Page?
    No , joe no longer runs that column.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize
    BURN! Damn that was Hot!
    Yes, but I asked for that I suppose, and is the same response I have gotten over at Games Tm... Still, it was to be expected.

Personally, i'd like to hear stories about people who have been after their own personal grails for years, and finally get one, at a huge cost though...

Or stories about how people have had to go to extraordinary lengths to aquire something, Ie, travelling halfway across the country to collect something which they want really badly; Or having to bypass a few federal laws in order to aquire a piece of hardware that technically they shouldn't have imported...

I want to read stories where people have an especially rare game (Ie, Primal Rage 32x) and have perhaps gone to huge lengths to preserve the condition of that particular game...

I'm also interested in people who have similar collections to mine, where they have rare games in even rarer condition (Ie, Sealed) and how they treasure them above anything else they own as they know they are irreplaceable...

Reading articles where people drone on about how they have this and that Japanese import, or how they paid £50 for an AES game that is worth £250 is boring, and the story is repetative after reading it month after month, albeit from different peoples perspectives...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about you take some pics of your collection so we can see what your on about?

Or do a room of doom using the gallery feature.

We hear you bragging but we never see what you have, come on dont be shy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by importaku
    How about you take some pics of your collection so we can see what your on about?

Or do a room of doom using the gallery feature.

We hear you bragging but we never see what you have, come on dont be shy.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58239

I have pictures, but not doing a Room Of Doom until I actually have a room to show. Everything is all boxed up at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really I think its based on your collections uniqueness. Big thanks to zmeston for landing me a spot n the VideoGameCollector magazine #4. He said he just really liked the way my collection looked and it caught his eye.

Now my collection isnt overflowing with games, and I dont own many rarities, but I arange and display it in my own unique way.

I just got a NeoGeo AES, new shelving, more games, and alot more systems after I submited the info and pics for the magazine, but it is still my collection.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy who edits the GamesTM Retro section posts on a few UK gaming sites, and was asking for volunteers to be part of it recently.

Oh Anagrama, where would this world be without you?

In the pooper of course.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you probbaly have to spread'em to get your collection in a mag

or be friends with the guy that "interviews" the spreaders

NEXT?
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've found that it's helpful to take a picture of yourself wearing shades (indoors, of course) and wearing a power glove.

The sheer coolth eminating from such a photo never ceases to open doors in the gaming media world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    I've found that it's helpful to take a picture of yourself wearing shades (indoors, of course) and wearing a power glove.

The sheer coolth eminating from such a photo never ceases to open doors in the gaming media world.
    Lol, know what you mean just by viewing a few pics in the "Room Of Doom" area!

It also helps to have an AES and a bunch of really stupidly rare games (Like NWC or Primal Rage...) ~ And I guess it also helps to actually have things on shelves, rather than in box's in a spare room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Did someone say shades and a Power Glove?

Gemini, start with the DP WIRE! I love that section of the newsletter...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

so you showed us a couple pics of the supposedly sealed games you have, yeah *supposedly*, youre the guy trying to fence that resealed tomba for like 6months already.

just cause people dont wanna and have no reason to pay ludicrouse prices for sealed stuff (that they wanna play, not masterbate to) doesnt make their collection any better or worse than yours (just like have a MIB/CIB is any better than loose -- something that i was in a very heated debate over some time back).

games are meant to be played, if you want yours to remain unopened, fine, but dont throw a hissy fit when a "GAMING" magazine features actual GAMERS over somebody who pays insane amounts for stuff he wont even use/open. when theres a magazine called "shiny sealed box collector", im sure youll make the front cover.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Though I left the magazine back in January, Tips & Tricks still run "Room of Doom" photos every month. Send your pictures in to the magazine. I just talked to the editor-in-chief this weekend at CGE - they're always Jonesin' for new pictures.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never did understand some people's critical view of collecting sealed games. That's like criticizing a guy because he'd rather have a mint Mickey Mantle than one that was ran through bicycle spokes "like it was supposed to".

I understand the appeal of both sides...
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames
    I never did understand some people's critical view of collecting sealed games. That's like criticizing a guy because he'd rather have a mint Mickey Mantle than one that was ran through bicycle spokes "like it was supposed to".

I understand the appeal of both sides...
    I don't think that's the same at all. You can enjoy the perfect baseball card more than the bicycle spoke card. The purpose of the card is to show you a picture of a baseball player. The purpose of a game is for it to be played. Now I don't care a lick if someone wants to collect sealed games, whatever floats your boat and all, but to me, that's like Buying a DVD and never watching it or buying a ham sammitch and never eating it.