Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart getting games in late?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wal-Mart getting games in late?

I was in my local Wal-Mart yesterday to get a GameCube memory card and I noticed something interesting..
    They have a small sign listing upcoming games,but every game they have isn`t coming to Wal-Mart until three or four days after they are released.
    For example..
    WWE Day of Reckoning 2 and Mario Baseball-Ships August 29th,in store September 1st
    Scooby-Doo Unmasked-Ships September 12th,in store September 15th
    They are also not getting Nintendogs until this Thursday..two days after it`s nationwide release.

It really caught me off guard because they usually get games the day after their release.So,I was wondering if anyone else`s Wal-Marts are like this,or maybe someone who works at a Wal-Mart can tell me why there`s been a change?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably because the manufacturers and wholesalers know that Wal Mart can't be trusted not to break street date. Mine tends to toss stuff on the shelf as soon as they get it, regardless of the release date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wal-Mart is my area has always been one of the last places to receive new games. Always has been and probably always will be.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Default Re: Wal-Mart getting games in late?

Quote Originally Posted by DJBoy416
    Ships August 29th
    You do understand the concept of shipping, right? As much as stores would like the games immediately, if Game Maker X ships on the release date, you can be certain that most stores won't be getting the game until after that date.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monkey Butt

Doesn't really matter, Wallmart is still the closest place to get games for millions of people. It is in evey hick town and is a large retailer that has so income that a day or two late on a game release date makes little difference. x_x
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

the real questions should be:

a) why the hell were you in WallMart
    and
    b) why the hell would you buy/play WWE Day of Reckoning 2,
    Scooby-Doo Unmasked and Nintendogs anyway? especially the day they come out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

and
    Because they have everything, at a lower price.

And I bought Nintendogs there monday morning as the UPS man came in and delivered the package. Your WalMart might not have Nintendogs, but mine definitely does.

Snoopy, my beagle, has learned four voice commands and won first plce in the Obedience Competitions Beginner level. ALso, one of my neighbors stopped me while I was giving him a walk, and reminded me to obet litter laws. Apparently I'm supposed to pickup after my dog in this town. Screw that Matthew guy though, he plays his music too loud.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

and
    Day of Reckoning 2 is the only game out of those I`m getting.I just noticed the later in store dates for the other games and thought it was strange they were getting them days after when Wal-Mart usually gets them the very next day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    No, they don't. When it comes to Wal-Mart, they carry only what their arch-conservative policies dictate. And if you dare to talk trash about Wal-Mart (like Cheryl Crow did in one of her CDs), prepare to never see your stuff in a Wal-Mart ever again.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    No, they don't. When it comes to Wal-Mart, they carry only what their arch-conservative policies dictate. And if you dare to talk trash about Wal-Mart (like Cheryl Crow did in one of her CDs), prepare to never see your stuff in a Wal-Mart ever again.
    Firstly its Sheryl Crow, and Yes Wal*Mart carries hers AND Eminems cd's currently, both online AND in B+M stores. (both people that have gone after Wal*Mart). The Ultra-conservative practices have taken big steps back and their biggest remanints of that are the fact that they carry clean cd's over edited ones (when published by the record company, not because Wal*Mart dictates what should be clean and such). If the RIAA actually spent a little time and made the Parental Advisory mean something (with a rating system like Video games) Wal*Mart would carry them. They carry all the movies un-edited and even most of the 'Unrated' cuts because theres reasons on the back of the movie those get rated the way they do.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I hate Wal-Mart for that reason. I went like last Thurs. or Fri. to get Sonice Gems and they didn't have it. What amazed me more was the fact they had the new Hello Kitty game. How many people(excluding collector) will by that?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    What amazed me more was the fact they had the new Hello Kitty game. How many people(excluding collector) will by that?
    Hello Kitty Deathmatch is finally out? Sweet!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    What amazed me more was the fact they had the new Hello Kitty game. How many people(excluding collector) will by that?
    Hello Kitty Deathmatch is finally out? Sweet!
    Yeah, my Wal Mart only had 4 copys though(they probably already sold the rest) so you better get a copy soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if its just in my area or not but Wat*Mart's videogame prices always seem to be on the high side to me. I'm almost always find that games are cheaper at Best Buy or EBWorld.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, Walmart probably uses ground shipping for everything, whereas video game and many electronics specialty retailers next-day air most of their stuff to put it out that much sooner. The costs wouldn't be worth it to Walmart, seeing how it eats into that piss poor margin a single video game has in the first place. However, places like Best Buy and EBGames, who can pimp the hell out of a strategy guide or an extra used game, which Walmart doesn't leave any shelf space for, can turn that $50 game with $4 margin into a $75-100 sale with $20-40 margin.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

If you believe Wal-Mart has the lowest prices then you are falling directly into their brainwashing. Wal-Mart is VERY expensive on video games especially in areas where there is little or no competition. My Wal-Mart still wants $49.99 for games like Fantavision and Frequency. It's fucking rediculous the prices they ask for games that were clearenced at comparable retailers years ago. The problem is that Joe Six-Pack and Nascar Nate don't really keep up with price drops and such. Wal-Mart caters to uneducated consumers and that is the lowest common denominator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I don't need to hop on the Wal-Mart hatetrain, I've been shoveling coal in that bastard for years, but one thing to realize is this:

Specialty stores will almost always get the goods first. For instance, if you want a CD that's not a huge release that week, it often takes retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City until Wednesday or Thursday to get them, whereas your local record shop (be it something small and independently owned, or something like Tower Records, FYE and what-have-you) should have it first day. Same with games. EB and Gamestop will almost always beat CC or BB to the shelves.

Someone earlier mentioned that Wal-Mart and larger retailers can't be bothered with street dates, and that's an excellent point. Especially when the warehouses ship out new releases mixed in with replenishment stock. That puts the burden on the low-pay employees to know everything coming out that week and pick it out of the dozen or so boxes received almost daily. Then, when they can't meet that stupid criteria, they have to be the ones that look stupid when their computers come up with a street date prompt and they can't sell what the customer has brought them.

Shop locally whenever possible, and if not locally, then at least specialty. In the end it ensures you get what you want when you want it, even if you have to pay an extra dollar or two for it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol what i dont get is why any of you know that walmart has sheryl crow and eminem cds, and games like wwe and nintendogs.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    Lol what i dont get is why any of you know that walmart has sheryl crow and eminem cds, and games like wwe and nintendogs.
    I worked for their primary Music and Movie merchandiser for the last 18 months (Anderson Merchandisers). It was my job to know what was in MY music runs at all times (my company sent in the product and I stocked it), and I could tell you... for both of my stores everything that was in them. Thats how I know. And while cleaning up my deptartment its not like its hard for me to look over at the game cabinets and see whats in there at any given time.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with whoever said it really just comes down to the fact that a lot of Wal*Marts have broken street dates in the past, and not giving them the games right away is the way to punish them for that. I saw Halo 2 prepped at a bunch of local stores two weeks in advance, but they kept street date -- meaning they didn't sell the game until it was supposed to be released. I would assume Wal*Mart just broke that rule, so now "ships on [date]" really means that is when the games will be shipped to them.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333