Thread: Colecovision RF signal improvement

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Colecovision RF signal improvement

I'm guessing Omnedon can handle this one. My CV has a crappy RF output; fuzzy display. When I shake around the RF cable at the back of the CV it seems loose and really effects the display. What can I do to improve/fix this? Also, the CV will not take a RCA cable as a replacement for the phono cable. Is it just because the center pin is too long? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Firstly.. has your CV been opened? Is the RF sheild soldered back in, or just snapped in? I find CV's really bitchy about that.

Secondly.. I find RCA cables introduce a lot of interference. RF cables all the way, and crappy dollar store ones suck big time. Actually the only "good" ones I seem to find are with old systems. Anyone know of a good place to get a "real RF Cable"?

Your RF out could be in rough shape. They can be soldered out and back in. I've done it once (half of it actually).

I'd look at your cable first (try another and isolate), and then the Rf shielding of the CV inside it. If you put it in wrong you can short the mobo, and get a black screen. Guess why I know that?

All I know is from trail and error. Anyone else with some ideas, I'd love to hear 'em too. A Nice clear picture from an RF is a great thing to achieve.

That said, I think I'd like to try that RCA out mod. That would be cool. I've got to try it on my spare Atari Jr first. I'm loathe to mess with the Sunnyvale Sixer.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Careful with that AV mod for the Coleco, I've already killed one Coleco like that. It looked great for about 2 minutes before I shorted and killed the entire board, tho.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to use a "direct connect" cable for my older systems. What I do is use my RCA cable and place an F connector on the end of the RCA cable (you don't modify the cable at all, this is just a connector that changes the RCA cable end into a coaxial cable end) and then you plug it directly into your coaxial input on your TV. It works great, no interference and is a cheap solution. (Can buy them for under a buck). Any questions or interested in this? Just PM me for more info.

Hope this helps

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    I like to use a "direct connect" cable for my older systems. What I do is use my RCA cable and place an F connector on the end of the RCA cable (you don't modify the cable at all, this is just a connector that changes the RCA cable end into a coaxial cable end) and then you plug it directly into your coaxial input on your TV. It works great, no interference and is a cheap solution. (Can buy them for under a buck). Any questions or interested in this? Just PM me for more info.

Hope this helps

Danny
    I second this! Radio Shack carries these things, and you'll never have to worry about it crapping out on you again!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can also buy them at www.mcmelectronics.com

The part number is: 27-460

I bought in bulk on this item so if anyone needs one, let me know, I will hook you up!

Danny