Thread: Retain the Collection or Swap the Crumby Games?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Retain the Collection or Swap the Crumby Games?

So what sort of collector are you? (1) The kind that keeps every game s/he collects, (2) the kind that keeps everything except when a good trade comes along, (3) the kind that gets rid of the "boring" and crumby games s/he's collected, (4) or the kind that trades/sells as soon as the game is finished?

Myself, I'd be option two, but I wish I could bring myself to be option three.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

heh. Just so you know, the word you're looking for is "crummy." "Crumby" would seem to describe a game covered in bread crumbs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

For awhile it was 1, but finally I realized that it was just a waste of space to own some of these games.

My goal is to sell 2-300 games

No one needs 2-3 copys of corpse killer on different systems... you keep the best version! <_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually get rid of $hit games. Even if I have to give them away.
    I just hate looking at a bad game setting on my shelf

Although I rarely pick up truly bad games but sometimes I slip and find a game that got bad to mediocre reviews for around $5.99-$10.00 and decide to give it a chance if it truly does suck Ill trade it,sell it , give it away or trash it.

If its a least a decent game I usually keep it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep everything that I don''t have a double of. Once I get 2 of something (only happens if I buy a big lot of games, and there happens to be a game I allready had) I try to sell it right away for cheap. I don't have room in my collection for multiples of certain games... I've got enough as it is.
    However, I may trade some games that I'm not interested in for games that I am interested in. For instance, I had about 100 complete Genesis games at one point, but I don't really like/care about Genesis (or anything Sega for that matter). But a friend of mine does, so we would constantly be trading complete Genesis games for loose NES/SNES/N64 games I needed.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, the paring down that I've done this year would make a collector shit. It just dawned on me one day that I had massive amounts of potential money tied up in software for systems that I had no desire to "collect" for.

I pared my Genny library down until it now holds the big gotta-have titles. No small titles. Same for DC. I dumped my PS2 and library altogether.

I've always collected the N64.....clean completes only. One day I looked at the big wall of yellow box ends and decided that I no longer saw the point in collecting the entire library. Out came a big box, in went all of the lesser commons and titles that I wouldn't play, I got some good money, and I now own a great library of all of my favorite N64 games.

Next up? I've pretty much decided that I want a PSP since I'll get lots of use out of it. I look over at my Xbox library and I see stuff like Jade Empire, Doom 3 etc.....all finished to the end credits. Jade Empire was a glorious game that I played straight through to completion.....but it sits on a shelf now. WILL I one day start a new character and play the game again? Most likely not. Wouldn't it be wiser to trade it in while it still retains decent value and put it towards my PSP venture?

It's funny. I joined DP because I was a collector......or was I merely a hoarder? As I said, I've pared my collection down substantially until I now own all of my most favorite games for several systems both retro and modern. I've become more of a gamer now. A gamer of new and old games. Which is why I'm here.

I guess that I'll still hoard NES because at 50 cents to a few dollars a cart, it doesn't come close to breaking the bank.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I began as a 1. Then, became a 2. I'm pushing myself to becoming a 3 very shortly. I'll never be a 4, though.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Deffinitely 1. Too many times in the past I've regretted trading something off, so I find its safer to save everything. I figure if you trade something in and get 20-50% of what they consider its value to be, you end up devaluing your collection in the long run. Of course, this only works since I hardly ever buy new and rarely pay over $10 for a game. Besides, having hundreds of random games is fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

3) I have no problem trading or selling stuff off that I don't think I'll play. I have no complete collections (unless you count animal crossing cards ) but am trying for a complete set of games by Treasure... I can see myself maybe going for a Zelda set as well down the road...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

No doubt about it, I'm a 1. Whenever people suggest that I sell the games I have already beaten, I just think to myself, "I might want to play that game again one day (Even if it wasn't exactly a great game in the first place). The thing is, I actually do replay a lot of games if I have nothing else to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am definately a 1. At one point, I was going to my local game shop and buying nothing but complete, mint sports games. I did actually play every single game that I bought. Some of the sports game I will still play, but would have rather had them complete. In my opinion, the best basketball game ever is Kobe Bryant Courtside for n64. I don't buy many sports games for the newer systems, but I did buy Rugby for PS2.

It is pretty rare that I trade games with somebody where I have only 1 copy of the game. Usually if somebody can make it worth my while for me to give up my copy of a game, I will do it. Other than that, I keep every single game that I buy