Thread: MSX Computers

Insert Coin (Level 0) Contrabassoon86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MSX Computers

Hello Import thread again,

I got my Sharp x68000 questions answered, and I want to know all about the MSX brand computers. I know they were released in Japan and Europe, but is all msx software compatable with all regions. Can you you play msx games on a msx2 machine? How much does a msx2 cost, where can I get one, and with what peripherals does it need to be operational?
    I love buying stuff now, that I could never afford in the past!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.rinkya.com you can find a msx console cheap on their auctions direct from japan but its the shipping that really gets ya.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

here's a post I did on other forum some time ago and the related replies...

hope it helps mate!

----

MSX was similar concept as 3DO in gaming console..
    it was design specification that any company can produce - after paying the privilege of coz...

it was upgraded to MSX2, MSX2+ and then MSX2+ Turbo being the last incarnation.
    Not only M$ Japan but also ASCII was involved in as well from memory.

I used to have MSX2+ made by Daewoo - yep the same Korean company who made several carts before went belly up. Sadly when I left home I sold the lot to a mate of mine since I figured I won't do anything with pasocom anymore...

last I heard ASCII in Japan has developed one chip MSX and planned to expand it to MSX2 compatible in near future...

I wouldn't mind to get MSX2+ again just for Konami SD Snatcher... oh well...

---

MSX was an 8-bit micro computer system designed by Microsoft of Japan and released in the early 80s. It uses a special MS Basic, later version also were compatible to Digital's CP/M 80 DOS.

Basically, the system was Japan's take on 8-bit home micro computers such as C=64, Sinclair Spectrum, etc. The Japanese were reluctant to go into micro computing at first but on the other hand couldn't really afford to just stand on the side and watch Commodore, Sinclair and Apple making tons of money. As a consequence, the MSX and following machines were very popular in Japan.

A lot of Japanese software companies supported the MSX, and not only game developers I might add since the system also was used in office environments.

One of the most famous MSX games was the original Metal Gear which came out in 1987.

A standard MSX system isn't really a collectible, but some games are worth playing. There are MSX emulators around which you could use to get an impression about the system... graphics aren't all that hot, and the sound... well, let's just say, nothing beats ol' C=64 SID.

---

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd been contemplating getting a MSX, until I looked at the charges (mostly for shipping).

I really just wanted one to play Castlevania and Metal Gear 2. Maybe one day when I can get one for cheap, and also find the games I wanted with it. :\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've thought about getting an MSX2 or MSX2+ myself, but for shipping reasons, waiting until one pops up on eBay within the US or Canada. Wonder what it'd be like to play such classics as Dragon Quest, DQ II, and Final Fantasy on that MSX... But as dj898 said, the carts should be compatible.

Speaking of which (and not meaning to thread-jack), anyone here know where I can pick up an MSX Final Fantasy? Last one I saw on eBay was a nice while ago (3 years or so...went for just shy of $300).
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

probably in Japan and in Korea since MSX was fairly popular in those countries back then... hell I even remember the hype M$ and ASCII were generating in 80s...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is it just me or is dj898 rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i like video games

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its called having a job. You should try getting one.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Late to the party again, but the MSX was an attempt Sony spearheaded to get into the market. Sunk, as usual, by NEC's dominance of the industry.