Thread: ATTN: CIB NES and N64 Collectors...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ATTN: CIB NES and N64 Collectors...

I have a growing N64 and NES collection and I am trying to decide on how to organize, store, and display everything. I was wondering if most you actually keep the carts in their boxes and keep them shelved that way, or do you keep the carts in plastic cases (or loose) and keep the boxes stored or displayed seperately? I would like to keep the carts in their original boxes, but I'm afraid that games being taken out and put in over and over, would create too much wear and tear on the box. Most of you know how much the box and manual can increase the value, so I obviously want to keep the boxes in their current condition. What do you guys think?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't play my boxed games that often, so they don't take that much wear and tear. I do have some loose carts stored in those beautiful plastic N64 cases....they were awesome when they were available.

Go to a local movie rental place and see if they have rental cases...or store the N64 carts in old Genesis sports cases. They'll fit with a bit of exacto knife modding.

Don't forget.....N64 boxes are designed to be opened from the red side only. If you see anyone opening them from the yellow side, stab 'em in the eyes with a fork.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

If it's a game I don't play very often, I just keep it in the box. Otherwise, the cart just sits out on my shelf.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't keep any games in their boxes for systems that had cardboard boxes. Plastic cases are a different story entirely, since they are durable.

As for organization, for my NES collection I arrange carts alphabetically by publisher. I do the same for the boxes on the shelf, but I take it a step further and keep similar box designs together. So, for example, all silver-box Konami games are lined up together, the way God intended.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some awesome ideas. Thanks guys! Anyone else have any input?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect boxed N64 games, and I always keep them in their boxes on my shelves. I don't think that pulling the game out would do much damage to the box (or cart/tray/anything) for you to worry about, espessially if you don't play them very much. Plus, N64 games look super sleek when they're all boxed and on a shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default keep them im their boxes

I keep all of my games in their boxes. I dont think about the wear and tear as it pains me. I just try to be as careful as possible. I kind of look at it this way...you probably are going to play the more common popular games anyways...stuff that is easier to find!.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep my boxes and carts separate. I opened one of my N64 boxes just a couple of times and a tab broke off, and that's why. I made a special wooden box for cartridges and they fit perfectly with a millimetre of clearance.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Well, with all my CIB SNES games, I keep them all in their boxes because I don't play them that often, and most of them are RPG's. So when I'm playing through one of them, I'll leave it in the SNES but when I finish it goes back in the box.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usally I Keep some of my N64 games in there boxes.The ones that i dont have a box for i keep them in a file cabnet. Usally I get the boxes for everything NES,SNES,GENESIS ETC (Expecialy CDS) but if there is no box or it cant be found easly i put them in a file cabnet in static proof bags
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default This is a problem...

I have a near complete US collection of N64 (little bragging...missing Worms Armageddon), and only have about 25 boxes. I have been debating whether or not to pursue the boxes, since they are tough to find, and cost almost as much as the game did (on ebay). Here's the alternative...

http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchan...egory_Code=VHS

There was a group of people around here who were scanning all the N64 games and formatting them to fit in these cases....

The link that I had has gone dead, but they had nearly a third of the boxes online last time I found them.

Storing loose N64 carts suckes, they don't fit in anything, and are to small for shelves; also the label is a bad spot (needs a p-touch machine).

Only other idea is to buy the bunches of the original Nintendo storage cases off ebay (lots of shipping charges).

Actually, there was one more idea someone had. They bought some sort of plastic sleeves (like for CD's or someting, and hung them on a wall. Looked OK for a small collection...

Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    If it's a game I don't play very often, I just keep it in the box. Otherwise, the cart just sits out on my shelf.
    same, except the carts are in a plastic containrt thing, not on a shelf