Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumines or Meteos?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lumines or Meteos?

Well, I had a quick check and found that there has not yet been a poll of which Q Entertainment puzzler you prefer. I've seen plenty of posts in other topics about it so, I thought starting a poll would be a good idea.

Before I express my views, I have to say this is NOT a PSP vs DS thread. (although it'll probably turn into one) The Poll is about which game you prefer, not which portable you prefer. We all have a prefered handheld, I know i certainly do, but please keep it to yourself for the moment. So please, lets focus on the games at hand.

Right, anyway, I voted Meteos. Although I loved Lumines, I thought it was fantastic and its my favourite PSP game so far, I feel Meteos has more to offer. More game modes, a lot more litttle features. Juat an overall better gaming experience.

My opinion has only changed over the past few days though. Thats because I had the Japanese version of Meteos and found it very hard to play, so I prefered Lumines. But my US copy of Meteos arrived and now I'm hooked.

So in coclusion, as much as I love Lumines, Meteos just offers me more. So Meteos it is.

What are your thoughts?

Joe.
    Xbox Live Tag - GunstarHeroUK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

Lumines. Music + puzzler = sexy. This is the title I am buying a PSP for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lumines. I actually lost most interest in Meteos and actually spent more time playing Zoo Keeper.So my vote is to Lumines. I can pick that one up and play it any time. Just as good as Tetris.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Well i'll be the first to step up to the plate for Meteos. I've played both and while Lumines is damn sexy, and i mean the Rez kind of damn sexy, i'm giving the nod to Meteos for one reason, the touch control. With puzzlers like Meteos (and Zoo Keeper the poor bastards Bejeweled ) i have aways wanted something like mouse control. The touch screen gave me just that. I'll admit that some times it's hard to hit the block you want with the stock stylus, but damn it, it's still solid control.

Both games are near flawless in my opinion and both are incredibly entertaining, but my vote goes to Meteos, just because of control. If it wasn't for that i couldn't decide.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lumines definetly. Actaully made me think if it challenged Tetris. Still need that 999,999.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lumines draws me in, sorta like a trance. Meteos is good but I dont get drawn it, it just relies on solid gameplay while lumines has both solid gameplay and addictive trance mode

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Anyone else find it interesting that a bunch of you have posted supporting Lumines (i'm the only one supporting Meteos) yet the poll tells a vastly different story.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

well i'lll vote and explain why for Meteos. I never played Lumines since i dont have a psp nor do i really care with its current and planned library but i will tell you why i love Meteos. Depth. I have not planned a puzzler the amount of depth Meteos offers. Each planet(stage) is completely different from the others: having their own gravity, speed of propulsion and play area size.

Unlocking a lot of stuff within Meteos is thoughtful proccess. lets say to make/unlock a planet you need 100 more pieces electricity, you have to remember what planets have it and try to shoot up as much electricity into the sky as possible, which will add itself to your current amount of it.

Also i have never played a puzzler that has such a perculiarly epic story and opening movie to prove it. Planets are exploding, meteors are crashing down, and planets' inhabitants are trying to survive the evil planet Meteos' destruction. if that isnt epic for a puzzler i dont know what is.

The varying graphics and sound are also a great touch. each planet really has its own identity to it outside of how they play.

all i have to is if you dont pick it up now make sure you grab it in the future.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Anyone else find it interesting that a bunch of you have posted supporting Lumines (i'm the only one supporting Meteos) yet the poll tells a vastly different story.
    I'm guessing that more people own DSes than PSPs, for one thing.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I'm guessing that more people own DSes than PSPs, for one thing.

Chris
    No, i know why Meteos is winning the poll. I'm just wondering why there's hardly any support for it posted in the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with Gunstar_Hero. Meteos has more to offer IMO. Though Lumines is still a kickin' game with great music.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Meteos has the cool unlockables, but it's easy to exploit.

I prefer Lumines gameplay, and that's what's important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lumines

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. Just the usual pro-Nintendo, anti-Sony sentiment of the forums.

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to go with Meteos. It's pretty addictive, and the music is really entertaining. Besides, what's more satisfying than destroying another planet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

or maybe it's because people want to vote without giving a reason why. I know that I do that with 90% of the polls - vote then leave.

And on a side note I voted for Meteos, it's just a great game and the stylus really adds to it as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

-- Z.
    Nothing wrong with that. Sony is an arrogant company that deserves the hatred it receives. But I would hope that atleast some of us can look past the system and look at the game itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm. If we were to start harping on every company that was arrogant or made foolish decisions, we'd be spending our whole lives complaining about capitalism. Thank you, but no, I'd much rather play some good videogames.

I don't know why everything always has to be so competitive between different game machines. I wouldn't compare Lumines and Meteos to each other; I'd much rather compare them to the boring-as-hell, cookie-cutter, lifeless console games of today. Why the heck can't anybody else make a real videogame anymore, instead of the latest rendition of The Matrrix performed by puppets?

Small, auteur game studios are rapidly becoming extinct, and with them are flowing so much of the vitality this pop art medium needs. We don't need to be playing one off against the other - especially two games from the same studio. Wouldn't it be much better to praise Q Entertainment for revitilizing the puzzle game?

Lumines and Meteos are both outstanding games. Do whatever you can to get them in as many hands as possible. Get your friends away from the overpriced leftovers - hey, it's Mailbu Stacy with a new hat! - and show them what videogames are supposed to be about.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    Hmm. If we were to start harping on every company that was arrogant or made foolish decisions, we'd be spending our whole lives complaining about capitalism. Thank you, but no, I'd much rather play some good videogames.

I don't know why everything always has to be so competitive between different game machines. I wouldn't compare Lumines and Meteos to each other; I'd much rather compare them to the boring-as-hell, cookie-cutter, lifeless console games of today. Why the heck can't anybody else make a real videogame anymore, instead of the latest rendition of The Matrrix performed by puppets?

Small, auteur game studios are rapidly becoming extinct, and with them are flowing so much of the vitality this pop art medium needs. We don't need to be playing one off against the other - especially two games from the same studio. Wouldn't it be much better to praise Q Entertainment for revitilizing the puzzle game?

Lumines and Meteos are both outstanding games. Do whatever you can to get them in as many hands as possible. Get your friends away from the overpriced leftovers - hey, it's Mailbu Stacy with a new hat! - and show them what videogames are supposed to be about.
    Get off your soap box. Nobody is trying to start a system feud here and we are all praising Q Entertainment for their excellent work. Nobody is saying anything bad about either game. They're both stellar. This is a thread about personal preference though and there is nothing wrong with that. It's like asking some one if the prefer SMB3 or Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

And the sales and reviews of Meteos and Lumines are showing the pubishers that we do appreciate it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

-- Z.
    Nothing wrong with that. Sony is an arrogant company that deserves the hatred it receives. But I would hope that atleast some of us can look past the system and look at the game itself.
    Nintendo was as arrogant in its late-'80s heyday as Sony has ever been, and it's at least as deserving of hatred. Its lockout technology and licensing/manufacturing fees fueled the lack of originality in the modern console-game biz, its censorship of game content fueled mainstream opinion that video games are strictly for kids, etc., etc.

But anyhoo. I favor Lumines because its design isn't broken. Meteos apologists claim that random scribbling doesn't work well at higher levels of play, but that it works at all--and it works very well against most CPU and human opponents--is a fatal flaw.

I assume that Meteos (and Nanostray) apologists are DS fans trying to convince themselves that an average/flawed game is a great one, for no other reason than they're rooting for the manufacturer of its host hardware.

-- Z.