Thread: Resident Evil / Biohazard and JP systems in North America

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Resident Evil / Biohazard and JP systems in North America

Long story short I am a huge RE fan.

So much so that I am looking to get all the RE titles imported from Japan as they were originally before being edited and censored. And maybe this will open me up to more import gaming...

First and most important question: I know I'll need a Japanese system to play these so if I get say a Japanese Gamecube will I be able to just hook it up and play? I'm assuming that it being NTSC will mean it will work on my Canadian TV. Secondly, will I nead any kind of electrical adapter or do they have the same outlets/voltage/etc... in Japan?

Second question, does anyone here have any of the Biohazard titles? And if so without spoiling too much, would you say this is a worthy investment? (remember I AM a diehard fan) or in other words am I only gonna get a few extra cutscenes or a few seconds tagged onto some cutscenes? Cause from what I've heard there were a LOT of things changed when it was brought over here, such as zombie babies, gorier cutscenes, and general ultra-violence being toned down.
    But then I've heard a LOT of things that turn out to be just exaggerations!

And lastly, when Capcom re-released 2,3, and CV:X for the GCN, did they also do it overseas? cause if this does turn out to be something I'll do, for simplicity's sake I'd like to stick to getting the GCN titles, because thats where the core of the story is. Otherwise I'd be better off getting a Japanese PS2.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the Japanese Gamecube RE games, maybe you could get a FreeLoader disc or an Action Replay? If you wish to get a Japanese console, that's cool too. Not sure on the voltage issues, however.

There is a GC Biohazard collection sold in Japan with 0, 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica. How much it is, I do not know. Whether they are available separately, I do not know. Maybe someone better acquainted with GC imports and the Biohazard remakes can assist you.

The first one was completely redone. 2 and 3 got the high-res treatment, but not a whole lot else. However, this is coming from the American versions.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only got a few of the Japanese ones (Biohazard Dual Shock Director's Cut, Biohazard 3, and Biohazard: Code Veronica) and really, other than the intro to Dual Shock Director's Cut, I can't recall any real noticable changes.

though Dual Shock Director's Cut does have that neato second disc with all of the save files for Biohazard and Biohazard 2, which is sweet. The videos of the beta Biohazard 2 are also nice, if in a reduced resolution

I can see where you're coming from on your addicton and everything, but from a gaming perspective, you're not going to gain a whole hell of a lot out of getting the Japanese versions of the games.

T-T-T-TANGENT -> Does ANYONE have the E3 1997 video of Biohazard 2 / Resident Evil 2? It was up there with Metal Gear Solid for "Promo Video From E3 1997 I Most Want To See Again", but I can't seem to find it anywhere. An extremely cool Goon hooked me up with a high quality version of the Metal Gear Solid video, but Biohazard 2 eludes me

Riding the tangent train, does anyone have any decent screenshots or videos of Biohazard 0 from when it was an N64 title? Bonus points if someone digs up a prototype that actually boots.

On Topic -> Don't sweat the voltage issues. They're negligible. I've been running a SFami on 120 for damn near a decade and it still works dandy. PS2 and Dreamcast are still working as fine as ever, as is my Supergrafx...so yea.. don't worry about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx

T-T-T-TANGENT -> Does ANYONE have the E3 1997 video of Biohazard 2 / Resident Evil 2? It was up there with Metal Gear Solid for "Promo Video From E3 1997 I Most Want To See Again", but I can't seem to find it anywhere. An extremely cool Goon hooked me up with a high quality version of the Metal Gear Solid video, but Biohazard 2 eludes me

Riding the tangent train, does anyone have any decent screenshots or videos of Biohazard 0 from when it was an N64 title? Bonus points if someone digs up a prototype that actually boots.

There was some threds on this subject not so long ago, just do a search shouldn't be that hard to find.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Resident Evil / Biohazard and JP systems in North Americ

As far as I know, I think the only part that differs is as roushimsx mentions is on the intro to the director's cut. The NA version had that stuff left out even though it was a director's cut. I think its an omission was actually an error.

Voltage is nearly the same in Japan. 110 V. It will be fine. Might be cooler to get the PAL Resident Evil gamecube they had a few months ago and get the appropriate Freeloader program.

GC versions of the reissued games are okay. But RE3 on Dreamcast provides better extras and graphics are the same. I just dislike that controller for RE games.

You can get the Biohazard games for GC individually - the neat thing is that they come in much smaller cases - like the one the Game Boy player disc is in. Biohazard itself comes packed with a memory card. And you can get all 5 games (except RE4) in a special collector's set they issued a few years back. Not sure of the price on it though.

If you are going to import stuff though, you may be interested in getting Gun Survivor 2 - Code Veronica. This is the only RE game (except for that Biohazard NES homebrew/pirate) that wasn't released in North America. Of course this will require a modded PS2. You might want the PAL version so that you can play it in English. Resident Evil Survivor 2 - Code Veronica.

Storyline and gamewise, I don't think you really gain anything by playing the Japanese versions. You might learn some japanese while you're at it, but that's about it.
    Always looking for more SMS. And Resident Evil too.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If you get a Japanese Cube just use it with your US power supply. The beauty of the machine having an external transformer as opposed to internal on the PS2 and Xbox. The internal rating on all Cubes around the world is the same.

(I know several people here in the UK use a UK power supply with their import Cubes to avoid the whole stepdown issue)

I don't know of any direct differences between the JPN and US versions of the RE series on Cube, but naturally all the text will be in Japanese. The speech will still be in English.