Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HUGE Best Buy game sale, starts Monday 9-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEST BUY BLOWS CHUNKS!

I was the first one there when it opened up this morning. I rush towards the game section and not a single game is on sale. With much searching, I found a couple games (literally 2 out of 20) that I actually wanted that were supposed to be on sale. Well, after getting the run around from several employees, (There was not a single employee manning the entire media department - perhaps to avoid my question) I finally got someone who was willing to send another employee to the video game department. She knew nothing about the sale (though I saw another employee whisper something to her - yes I'm paranoid) and when she scanned the items they were at regular price. She flipped through an advertisement and pointed out some new game coming out but said it didn't show any sales. I said I heard about it from other people including employees on the internet (Yes I know how reliable an internet source typically is). Her excuse was that not all Best Buys participate in the same sales. Ok, I'm done ranting.

Oh and to all those complaining about finding nothing but Rocky and Driver (2 games on my list), you suck big time.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eh. big letdown. the new store (first time there) i went to day didn't have anything i wanted, even if the sale had been in effect. i did manage to pick up an interesting japanese DVD though. i hope the lucky ones that can grab great deals on stuff like growlancer - get a couple more than you actually need. if the sale fades out without any of us getting a copy, i don't mind throwing you an extra few bucks for your effort in locating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just got back from the best buy sort of close to my job

and there was already some on in the isle with a print out of the list

they had only a few titles and only 2 i wanted - outlaw golf 2 rang up as 9.99 so i left it
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't expecting much as I usually miss out big on these sales.

Here's what I got:

Catwoman Xbox - $.99
    Max Payne 2 Xbox - $9.99
    Grand Theft Auto GBA - $9.99 (got 2)
    Doom 3 Xbox Guide - $.01 (got 2)

They had maybe 5 more titles on the list, but they all read and rang up for $9.99 and not the supposive $4.99.

I just ordered 6 games online...a few of the $4.99 titles are still available...that is until bestbuy emails me saying they canceled my order :/

In the end I can't say I'm thrilled with the results, but since this was bestbuy, it was actually better than I expected.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    just got back, empty handed. They had a few of the games on the list, but they all scanned at full price . They all looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I heard Harvest Moon was $4.99
    You had to talk to a manager or someone who could check into it for you if that happened (or if this happens to anyone else from here out).The employees had received this list only this morning so you'll need to speak with someone to get the right prices.
    Yep, I second that. I was at two Best Buys on Sunday evening just to check out what they had in store. One employee (who made a reasonable impression and could be talked to openly) had no idea about the sale, another one came by and knew already about it becasue it was in BBs system.

The latter one advised me to buy the games already on Sunday evening and return with the unopened games today -- BB will match the price difference and reimburse the money on the credit card. So the sale was over for me on Sunday evening already.

Online I ordered additionally thirteen games at 4am this morning, among them Tron, Harry Potter, Nascar 2005, and MK: Collector's edition. The games had the sales price, unfortunately Harvest Moon and Crash Nitro were already sold out.

So far I got a message that items are backordered for only two games -- Yager (.99) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (4.99). Everything else seemed to go through.

It was a great sale, most of the games I wanted I got actually -- Otogi 2, Tak 2, Ty 2, Dynasty Warriors 4, Spyro, Nascar 2005....and overall three games for .99 each.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe we were the victims of Ye old bait and swicth. I'm sure they followed the sucessful circuit city clearance closely.
    and seen that it created alot of traffic.

I'm am just suprised that I didn't see any of the games on the list at the store or in the computers in back room stock no ds gamecube xbox or ps2.
    Okay I'll give them midway arcade but no paper mario?
    I bet that if I was there looking for a tv I would see all the games on the list. I have a gut feeling we were played.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Luck for me either. I walked into the store where i was passed by sumone with a list he was folding up, i assumed the same one i had in my pocket. Found some dorky employee who told me all the people kame early in the morning and got all they had, i looked for paper mario 2 jus to make shurr kause i actually wanted that game, and i couldnt find anything. :{ oh well, thanks for the list, I should of done my part and woke up early this morning. I live in louisivlle by the way, i went to the one on Shelbyville road by the mall, jus to save sum people some trouble.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My two local BB's had quite a few games from the list, but nothing I was really after. I might check another one or two later today, but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm telling you those Best Buy employees knew about the sale. Paper Mario 2 had to be hidden out back somewhere and it was no coincidence that they had nobody in the vicinity of the video game section so they wouldnt have to answer any questions. I have had it up to here with that pos store. All they do is complain in the media about people who come in for sales anyway.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    I just got back from a local Best Buy here in Phoenix and came away with two Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (NDS) for $9.99 each.

They had no Zoo Keeper's though. The only other game that I was really looking for that they didn't have was Excitibike (GBA). Oh well, I'm a happy camper! Thanks to whoever got this list up (and of course, the organizer of the list!)
    Hey philo, did you pick those up at paradise valley by any chance? I remember seeing they had 2 copies. Might you be interested in hooking a local friend up ;D? That would save me a hell of a lot of gas for one of the only games I want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

guess i'll beat the dead horse some more. best buy was the worse waste of time for me. harldy saw anything worth picking up let alone something for .99

all i wanted was a few game boy advance games for the kids. blah, blah never going in there again
    http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&o...it&&lid=100018 wanna check my stuff out.......holla

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I grabbed me Mr. Driller DS.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Blech. That was a bust. I walked in at about 2:30 and they had a handful of games on a table near the front door. Nothing of note except for some crap sports titles, and I couldn't find anything from the list on the shelf. I also got the impression that some of the employees stashed the good stuff in the back, cause I know they had at least five copies of Paper Mario 2 last week.

I just ended up getting Killer7 for $20 (after coupon and gift card), so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got back from my Best Buy. Not much there either, but I did manage to find one thing I wanted:

Grand Theft Auto Advance (GBA) - $9.99

I didn't leave the store empty-handed, so I'm happy.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    I just got back from a local Best Buy here in Phoenix and came away with two Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (NDS) for $9.99 each.

They had no Zoo Keeper's though. The only other game that I was really looking for that they didn't have was Excitibike (GBA). Oh well, I'm a happy camper! Thanks to whoever got this list up (and of course, the organizer of the list!)
    Hey philo, did you pick those up at paradise valley by any chance? I remember seeing they had 2 copies. Might you be interested in hooking a local friend up ;D? That would save me a hell of a lot of gas for one of the only games I want.
    I went to a Best Buy at Thunderbird and I-17 area. I actually already have the other Mr. Driller on ebay...thought I might be able to turn it around for a little profit, making the Driller game I bought for myself even cheaper.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't even bother with the B&M stores because I know for a fact that there are a TON of people that are on cheapassgamer.com & fatwallet.com where this deal was posted, and who were already talking about going. So I stuck to online.

This is what I have CONFIRMED shipped so far:

Legend of Zelda : 4 swords - $9.99
    Mr. Driller - DS - $9.99
    Zoo Keeper - DS - $9.99
    Simpsons Road Rage - XBOX - $4.99

Here is "Backordered" aka "Most likely going to be cancelled"

Grownlanser Generations - PS 2 - $9.99
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War - XBOX -$4.99
    Rocky - PS2 - $0.99

And here is what is still "In Process"

Lord of the Rings: Third Age - Cube - $4.99
    Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Cube - $9.99

Keep in mind every game still gets $1.99 shipping tacked on, but it's still a great deal to me. Especially considering the stuff I REALLY wanted was confirmed shipped already. I can't complain about this deal one bit. Oh FYI, I ordered all of these at 6am EST. (For those interested)
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    Blech. That was a bust.
    If I didn't find one copy of Bard's Tale for Xbox, it would be total for me. What a waste. It didn't even look like the employees nabbed titles, because there were zero empty spaces. A little bothered that Bard's Tale cost me $10 though.

3 stores - West Paterson, NJ - Paramus, NJ - Garden State Plaza, NJ - all empty.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Man, you guys are doing nothing but validating my decision not to go hogwild for these bargain wild goose chases anymore. I mean, it suck for you all who are driving all over town to come up with nothing, but that's exactly why I don't go in for these sales anymore.

First off, these sales are always designed to clear out the old stock, so most of the titles in lists like these are titles I haven't seen in a store in ages. Second, I can't compete with the pros. The Greek guy who runs the only indie stores in town always beats me to these things (I've seen him there before, plus both his shops are stone's throw from BB, Circuit City and TRU) to say nothing of the flea market guys and the eBayers.

Third, as seems to be a growing problem, none of us can compete with managers, blueshirts and anyone else "on the inside." Like many of you, I'm highly skeptical about how much of this stuff doesn't end up in the back, waiting for someone's shift to end. Yeah, I know policy should prevent this, but like it does.

However, there is the forth point, which is a double edged sword. Rarely on these lists are there any titles I find it worth my time to actually run all over town wasting gas and time trying to track down. Sure, there's a couple of things I wouldn't mind stumbling over, but chances are I could pick up some used copies and the difference in price would be more than worth the effort I saved running around to Best Buys all over the city and turning up nothing.

I'm not quite cynical enough to suggest a bait and switch. Was this even an "official" list? Was it printed in an ad? Or was this just another thing floating on the Internet? Man, if I was a store, I'd anomously "leak" stuff like this all the time because they don't have anything official to honor and it always gets people in the store. I really think BB has better things to do than that, but that's just my twisted little mind at work.

Anyway, good luck bargain hunters. I think the odds are against you, but I also know the seductive power of the chase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nes
    Ok. This took a longass time so don't say I never do anything for you. If you want to thank me, donate some meseta.
    Thanks for doing that NES! Very helpful indeed!
    I went today and so far went to two Best Buys. I got, so far:

XBOX:
    Bard's Tale - 4.99
    Capcom Fighting Evolution - 4.99

Nintendo DS:
    Zoo Keeper - 9.99

Gamecube:
    Call of Duty: Finest Hour - 9.99
    Tak 2: Staff of Dreams - 4.99

I plan on going to 3 more Best Buys some time tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

The one guy working there saw I had picked up Driller, and told me I was the 8th guy to come in that day looking for clearanced stuff. I guess they do this all the time(which I was aware of-10 dollar Xevious for gba says so), but really, most of the stuff that is on clearance was all sold off months ago. Which is, of course, why the remnants are on clearance.

Not really a bait and switch, just your standard clearing of stock.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives