Thread: Question about an "Asia" PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about an "Asia" PS2

Alright, I've broken down. I need to finally have the experience of playing import games. All the lovely shmups being released left and right is why I've made this decision. The PS2 is like the 2nd coming of the Saturn in reguards to this genre, but I'm not missing out this time!

I narrowed my choices down to a U.S. PS2 (slim) with a Swap Magic 3 and slide tool or a Japanese PS2 (slim). I think I'll pass on the Swap Magic 3 because I really don't understand it (I'm not a technical person). The whole slide tool thing is what is confusing me as I don't know what items I need to use in conjuction with the Swap Disks. So I think I'll spend the extra $$ for a Japanese PS2.

My question is about the region of a specific PS2 listed on:

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav...c5b198f13f7bb9

The second one listed on that page is the cheapest, so naturally it is the one I wan't. But it is listed as an "Asia" PS2 instead of Japanese NTSC. Will this particular console play Japanese PS2 games out of the box? Also, does it use the same power supply as the Japanese ones (which can be used in the U.S.)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, read the description.

Asian version, unmodified running Japanese & Asian version games only!

Does not play PAL or USA games

NTSC J

AC Adaptor 110V/240V Multivolt (works worldwide)
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops, now I feel dumb. Oh well, I guess there is no need for this topic then, unless someone with a slim PS2 and a Swap Magic 3 would like to fill me in on that method?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Screw the swap magic. Last I checked, you couldn't play Black Label in Dodonpachi Daioujou or play Psyvariar Complete with a swap disc (or at least the process was needlessly complex). Stick with the japanese/asian PS2.

Also, when you import, pick up the asian releases if possible. They're the same as the japanese releases but contain an additional instruction leaflet that has instructions in english and chinese (in addition to the japanese instruction book). And they're cheaper (normally ~$15-$20). Korean releases are also awesome for extra free stuff.

Korean Gradius V comes with a little history of Vic Viper book (....in Korean) and a bonus DVD, for instance. Korean Katamari Damacy came with a little umbrellea.

p.s. As much as I loved my Saturn for shmups (Rayforce!), I think the PS2 has by now surpassed it with its PS2 original titles and backwards compatibility with PS1 games (Dodonpachi Daioujou! GDarius!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, I did notice some cheaper versions of shmups listed at play-asia.com that were Korean versions. They work fine on Japanese consoles too?

There are technically four different regions I think. US NTSC, PAL, Japanese NTSC (which includes Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other places like Korea?) and then the Chinese NTSC. Do chinese versions really work on Japanese PS2 consoles or would I have to get a Hong Kong one?

Meh, I'm getting too paranoid. I'm the question king!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

in terms of region PS2 has these.

NTSC-U
    NTSC-J
    PAL

there are several countries fall in each category... - i.e. NTSC-U refers to USA/Canada/etc while PAL refers to pretty much whole Europe and some South Pacific inc. AU/NZ... NTSC-J for Japan/South East Asia/China and etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you dj898. I believe my reign of questions is finally over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    Japanese NTSC (which includes Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other places like Korea?)
    Hong Kong is PAL. NTSC-J refers to Japan only - other Asian regions get 'Asian' releases.
    And there's other worldwide regions you're missing too - Brazil (PAL-M), Argentina/Uraguay (PAL-N), South Africa (PAL-?) etc. Dunno if they all get PS2 games or not though

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

if you look at Asian release they all show NTSC-J as the region coding. So yes All Asian/Korea/Japanese release will work on PS2 with NTSC-J region (this refers to Japanese PS2 as well as Korean and Asian PS2. not sure about HK though as haven't seen one perfonally)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[quote="anagrama"]

And there's other worldwide regions you're missing too - Brazil (PAL-M), Argentina/Uraguay (PAL-N), South Africa (PAL-?) etc. Dunno if they all get PS2 games or not though
    they are all fall under PAL. they are just small variation of PAL.
    Don't confuse the region coding with the broadcast standard...

when I say NTSC-J/ NTSC-U/PAL think of them as region code 1,2, 3, 4 of DVD if you like...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PAL-M & PAL-N are substantially different to the Euro/Aus ones (PAL-I/PAL-G etc). They're both 60Hz for a start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, all I know now is that an Asian or Korean title will work fine on a Japanese PS2. Thats wonderful news for me too, since it seems that in some instances, Asian or Korean releases are cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, all I know now is that an Asian or Korean title will work fine on a Japanese PS2. Thats wonderful news for me too, since it seems that in some instances, Asian or Korean releases are cheaper!
    Don't forget those bonuses with the Korean releases! The two soundtracks and the tin case for Guilty Gear XX Reload! The umbrella for Katamari Damacy! The art book for Gradius V!

I didn't feel like taking it in the ass on a copy of Psyvariar Complete (and I didn't feel like buying the individual games), so I ended up getting the Korean version of that. Yum indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I have aquired another question or two after reading comments from purchasers of the Asian PS2 at Play-Asia.com.

It sounds like the 110V-240V adaptor (yes I know it can technically be used safely on a U.S. outlet) does not fit into U.S. outlets due to the different size of the plug. So this means I'll have to pick up some sort of convertor so the plug can fit into it right?

Well, what if I put in the extra $20 and get a Ceramic white Japanese PS2. I'm pretty sure Japanese electronics use the same shaped cord prongs as the U.S. does. I just need a confirmation on that question.

I hate buying things and then finding out I need to buy more things to make it work.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

you should be able to pick up plug adaptor for $2 from travel shops...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Hong Kong is PAL. NTSC-J refers to Japan only - other Asian regions get 'Asian' releases.
    Not necessarily true. I have a few Asian releases (Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy, Ninja Gaiden, Magatama all come to mind) that are labeled NTSC-J. They are the asian versions and not import Japanese versions since they have a set of Chinese instructions.

Likewise, my Deus Ex: Invisible War is the Asian release, but is strictly labeled NTSC. I don't think there's a real hard and fast rule reagrding any labeling on the cases.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Japanese release - NTSC-J
    Asian release - NTSC-J
    Korean release - NTSC-J
    HK release (?) - PAL
    Europe release - PAL
    AUS/NZ release - PAL
    American/Candian release - NTSC (NTSC-U)
    South American release - PAL

PS2 console hardware comes in three flavours - NTSC-J, NTSC-U, and PAL.

As long as the release shows NTSC-J any PS2 with NTSC-J will be able to play and so on.

Region specific release has no bearing on the PS2 console's region setting. It's the resgion coding of the release that has to match with consoles'.

There are PS2TEST and PS2TOOL that have no region coding of their own so will play all releases...

hope this settles...

p.s. for power rating, as long as PSU shows 100-240 VAC you can get cheap plug adaptor for your country's wall plug. But if the PSU is only for 100-120VAC you cannot use in the country where 220/240 VAC and will require the transformer/step-down adaptor to convert 220/240 VAC into 100/110 VAC before you plug in the console...