Thread: Are you in it for non-Nostalgic, non-collecting reasons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Default Are you in it for non-Nostalgic, non-collecting reasons?

Okay, out of the bajillion posts here on DP only 329 mention the word "nostalgia", but it "feels" like I encounter the word a lot.

Is there anyone here retrogaming for non-nostalgic reasons? I don't mean doing it because you like collecting things either. I'm talking about "gamers" playing "retrogames" for the sake of playing games.

I think I'm doing it for the opposite reason of Nostalgia.

I'm playing the games from 20+ years ago because I didn't get to play 95% of them. Before the year 2000 I had experienced two dozen VCS games, about a dozen Commodore 64 games, two NES games and that's IT. The early 90s brought me to PC gaming and I played lots and lots of those, but console games? No more than what I mentioned above until 2000 when I got a Playstaion.

Sure, when I first started Retrogaming, it was to play Adventure again. Yes, there was nostalgia, but mostly it was because I loved the game. Now, 95% of the Retrogames I will ever play, I'll be playing them for the first time and loving it. (except for the RCA Studio II games. Yuck.)

Is there anyone else out their playing for the sheer thrill of exploration? of discovering a fun game you'd never played before? or even the thrill of discovering a bad game that you'd never played before.

I guess it could be called curiosity. Is there anyone out there Retrogaming because of curiosity?
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I'm split on the issue.

I play TG-16, SMS, PONG and other stuff i didn't have a change to play before just to see what the games are like, but i play NES, SNES and so on games to recapture my youth which i guess would mean i play for for nostalgic reasons.

But I'm also a collector and i'll buy anything i don't have that looks good or is rare so i guess i'm probably not the kind of guy you're thinking about. I love the history of gaming. I love the fun of classic games i've never played. Oh i don't know what to say, so i'll say i'm not like you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 years ago, this little obsession of mine started when I played Star Control 2 for 3DO. I started collecting to answer a single question, "What else have I been missing?" Sure I collect games I've played as a kid and even put priority on those titles. But honestly is pretty rare that I play a game I've already beaten. There are exceptions, but 90% of my gaming is on game that are new to me. Basically, I'm going to agree with Njiska except for his closing statement. I think we are more alike than different.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do it just to play good games. Maybe if I find a good collecting deal I'll jump on it, but that would require money and the time to search through endless pawns (and I have neither).
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    5 years ago, this little obsession of mine started when I played Star Control 2 for 3DO. I started collecting to answer a single question, "What else have I been missing?" Sure I collect games I've played as a kid and even put priority on those titles. But honestly is pretty rare that I play a game I've already beaten. There are exceptions, but 90% of my gaming is on game that are new to me. Basically, I'm going to agree with Njiska except for his closing statement. I think we are more alike than different.
    Yeah i'm still not sure if i am alike or not. I choose to say not because i chose to take the side of caution.

Oh and 3DO Rules. Star Control 2 is a must own.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

A little bit of both. Games that I played the hell out of I'm going back to latch onto and hold for a collection, but there's also a wealth of games I missed when I was a kid simply because I never knew about them, or never had enough money to buy them.

I'm about to start Lufia for SNES because I only made it about halfway through the game when my game was erased whenever it came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Well, for the most part I don't collect for nostalgia-not like I was even around for the pre-83 stuff. For me it's always been a fascination with the games and how they're still fun.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I bailed on console gaming (in favor of computer stuffs) from "the crash" until the PlayStation era, my collection of games from the interim is entirely based on "ooh, me heard that's a good ones". So I guess I'm another curiosity-based collector WRT that period.

For 2600-era stuff, though, it's nostalgia; it's most assuredly not because the gr4f1x roXx0r!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How old the game is, I still play it.
    Highlights like a sealed Sapphire are untouched of course.

I'd like to get my hands on a japanese vectrex, but they're so expensive
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!