Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What company should i join when Im in video games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LOB3
    PSN
    GoldyK
    3DS Friend
    0817-3747-2478
    Steam
    segarocks30

Default What company should i join when Im in video games?

What gaming company do you suggest for me to got to when I get older and be joined in the video game industry? Anybody who has worked in the industry please share your experience with me so i know what it is like.Even the question which company treats their employees the best?
    Dance Dance Toejam and Earl!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What company should i join when Im in video games?

Quote Originally Posted by segarocks30
    What gaming company do you suggest for me to got to when I get older and be joined in the video game industry? Anybody who has worked in the industry please share your experience with me so i know what it is like.Even the question which company treats their employees the best?
    EA treats their employees really well, nice pay for overtime, good labor conditions, etc. Yes, EA is the horse to bet on. Why, in fact why don't you got o EA now? Yes, I'm sure people on this forum would appreciate your help in the game industry.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fairchild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I say go with the one that actually offers you a job. What makes you think you have your pick of the litter?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mythicon. Their style seems to be right up your alley.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK...first off...you've got an interesting outline there. Now you need to get some code going. If you haven't already, bone up on your math and computer science skills - otherwise you stand a good chance of never getting off the launch pad. Start keeping an eye on the road ahead, as in toward college courses, etc.; look for schools with game design programs. There are some out there.

Also, there are developer conferences and so on (I think one of our own forum members went to one recently); see about attending those. Make contacts. Network. Get your name out there. You're young, but if you're willing to learn, and you're determined, and you can show that without appearing to be...well...too ankle-biter-like...you can make it happen.

You're not going to get this game made next week, but if you're determined enough to stick with it, next decade is a real possibility.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    Make contacts. Network. Get your name out there.
    PDF that's the single greatest advice you can give anyone in the entertainment business.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo
    I say go with the one taht actually offers tou a job. What makes you think you have your pick of the litter?
    I was thinking along the same lines. I mean apply at any video game job. It's not easy getting a job at one of those big companies.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I was picking on the wrong guy.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be serious here for a few seconds...

You should look for the people nearest to you that interest you, unless you're willing to relocate. That's a HUGE decision, so take it seriously.

In the meantime, work on building up something. And when I say that, I mean go out and write your own stuff. Code a system that has been hacked, like the PSP or Dreamcast and get something decent working. Don't make a port or an emulator -- companies want to see something original, not someone taking their work and illegally putting it somewhere else. But if you can show up with a halfway decent game for the PSP that showcases new ideas, a lot of companies will know your for real.

And screw any thoughts of the gaming world being nice to work in. You have to put in mega hours to get stuff out on time, in often times as-bad-as-EA conditions. Sadly, it is part of the job.

If you're thinking about it but aren't completely sure, go out and start reading books. I'd suggest Masters of DOOM, as well as Dungeons and Dreamers to get yourself started. They show what the industry is pretty well. Then look online for information. When I was 12, I wanted to be a programmer very badly. But after researching and getting screwed in the industry by the time I was 18, I decided that I would rather not work for someone else. Don't set our sites and close your mind to other opportunities.

And good luck.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but do you realize how many thousands (or millions) of people there are that want to do the same thing as you?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

..and afterwards, I would reconsider and look to the telemarketing industry.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My advice (and this is from someone who's working on a game design degree as we speak):

Don't worry about what company you're going to work for yet. In fact, don't do it at all. There's no way to plan that sort of thing, and the only thing you can do is work hard enough so that when the time comes, you'll have all kinds of offers and jobs. If you truly want to get into the industry, get a degree and go from there. But I assure you that no company is gonna let you in based solely on your desire and passion for games (though that certainly won't hurt you at all in the end).

To summarize, best of luck to you. But be aware that it's a LOT of hard work.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Me thinks you're probably too young and too naive to be thinking of such things just yet. Do you even know a lick of code?

It almost turns my stomach to see all these kids saying "I'm going to work in the video game industry!" It's the equivalent of kids saying "I'm going to be a rock star!" You can't take it seriously. And this is coming from someone who IS working on getting into the industry, but I know what I'm doing. I know that despite all the hard work and unpleasant details, there's no field that would suit me better. I'm also quite a ways into the process of getting a degree in computer science, and I'm a skilled writer, which can help if I ever want to get into gaming journalism. I get practice from working on game reviews and FAQs, and I do translating work and slowly pick up more and more Japanese in case I'd like to get into localization (but I'd need some extensive college education in Japanese for that). I've already put a mountain of work into this goal, so I'm no daydreaming kid.

Of course, there are companies that I secretly wish I could work for, but in the end, I know I'll eventually move back to my home state, Washington, where opportunities abound, at least as far as the selection of companies go.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I don't know if I'm taking your post the wrong way or something, but I doubt very much you'll be able to go out there and pick which company you get to work for. I myself am going into a Game Art and Design program next month, and I can honestly not see myself doing anything else. As long as I am doing what i love (making games), and I have enough money to survive, I dont really care who I work for, I just want to be a part of the industry, and maybe one day I'll have a choice of who I want to work for. But if your serious about making games...just do whatever it takes...its just like any other job in the end.
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fpstream
    EA treats their employees really well, nice pay for overtime, good labor conditions, etc. Yes, EA is the horse to bet on. Why, in fact why don't you got o EA now? Yes, I'm sure people on this forum would appreciate your help in the game industry.
    a buddy of mine worked at EA for a bit, he said it was one of the worst job experiences of his life. if i were going to go into the game industry, i would probably go with a good american company like bungie or something.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you ever replied to one of your own threads?

I'd have to say, how about concentrate on getting a degree first, then, when you get multiple offers pouring in from all the places you apply to, bump this post.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

The best advice I can give you (both smart-ass and genuine):

Pay attention in school.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

If you don't want to be a code-monkey that burns out of the industry in five years like everybody else, then I'd suggest working for a real software company and then making your demos on the side as you get experience.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken
    Quote Originally Posted by fpstream
    a buddy of mine worked at EA for a bit, he said it was one of the worst job experiences of his life. if i were going to go into the game industry, i would probably go with a good american company like bungie or something.
    That was sarcasm, EA treats their employees horribly.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton