Thread: Good Scrabble video games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good Scrabble video games

I was wondering if any of you DPers could help me out (especially those of you who live in the UK)--I've been wanting to pick up a good version of Scrabble (i.e. one that is more or less just like the board game) in video game form, but have heard bad things about those that exist. The only ones currently available seem to be Scrabble Blast on GBA (which, by all accounts, is a total prostitution of the Scrabble name) and Scrabble Junior on GBA, which is packaged with Boggle and Sorry! or some crap.

What I am especially curious about are the PSX version, and the UK-only GBC and GBA versions, all of which are just entitled "Scrabble," if I'm not mistaken. Are any of these good representations of what it is like to play the board game? Also, there's Super Scrabble on plain old Gameboy, but I have a feeling that that one sucks, too.

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played the GBA version for a good while now, but it's a pretty good incarnation of the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the Gameboy Colour Scrabble which I believe is supposed to be a better version than the GBA one, due to the GBC version allowing saving your progress. I bought a copy a few months ago, but I've yet to try it.

I've got vague recollections of a discussion about which version was best over at the Rllmuk forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS(X) version is very well done, a faithful representation of the classic board game.

It keeps track of the top (5?) high scores for the different game versions (Normal, Solitaire, Tournament), 8 skill levels, a huge built-in dictionary (Merriam Webster 3rd Edition), menus w/ word definitions & hints, & music plays during the game, kind of generic tunes.

A neat thing about it is if you're stuck, you can ask for a hint & the game lists the top 5 highest scoring words you could make w/ your letters, & it will show/place it for you on the board. You can cheat through the whole game this way! (But I never have.)

Also you can put in a word, & if it's in the game's dictionary, it defines it, otherwise it's invalid & cant be used. At higher diff. levels the computer "Maven1" uses words I've never heard of. Several I wrote down:

acerb, fleam, fug, zori, quod, drogue, dozy, yodh, gox, yaff, ganef, sopite- these are all words in the game!

Some seem questionable, as they sound/have foreign roots. But definitely a great game if you're at all into Scrabble, as you seem to be. I assume you're in the UK, so the dictionary is probably different...

Oh, & 1 to 4 players too.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."