Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Hawk on the GameCube... worth a try?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tony Hawk on the GameCube... worth a try?

A long time ago, I bought THUG for my Xbox considering I had enjoyed all of the previous incarnations of it. Unfortunately, my copy doesn't quite work right, and I'm not willing to format my hard drive (and lost a ton of my 5 million game saves) to fix it. (For more info on this, look up "THUG = BUG" and you'll see...)

Anyway, today at Toys R Us, I picked up THUG for the GameCube for $10.00. I want to give it a shot, but I'm worried about the controller. How do the Tony Hawk games play on the GameCube? Should I crack it open and go for it, or return it and seek to spend my $10.00 elsewhere?
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only THPS GC game I've played 3, and I love it. I think the control is good it on. So THUG would be probably be just as good.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, horribly. As an owner of all three current gen consoles the GCN controller has never felt right with a lot of games for me and some of the worst were the TH games. I played the hell out of all of them... on all systems. I'm a huge fan and whenever any of them would end up on sale I'd just have to get them (even if I owned the same game twice for the other two systems). So I played THPS 3, 4, and the THUG games for GCN. Some of the control fluidity that I had on the Xbox was lost and after an hour or two I found that I was losing the ability to play due to comfort issues.

I guess it'll depend on the individual and the fact that I spent so much time on THPS and THPS 2 on Dreamcast, then THPS2x for Xbox and so on and so forth could have given me a bias towards that style of control... but it can't be all of it. I just don't think it works vert well on the GCN controller - it never at all felt right.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

On the other hand I've never had a problem playing Tony Hawk (and I own 3, 4 and Underground currently) on the Cube. And I've played the PS1 and PS2 versions as well.

All that it took for me to get used to were the analog shoulders on the Cube pad and getting them pressed properly.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you learned how to play Tony Hawk on the Dreamcast, then you shouldn't have any problem adapting to the Cube controls.

If you learned TH on the PlayStation, then it's like relearning the control scheme all over again...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Tony Hawk 4 played excellent on the GameCube. Easily the most enjoyable game in the series for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony Hawk, I think, works surprsingly well on the GCN controller, and only takes a little bit to learn. I was always able to switch between PS2 and GCN tony hawk games with little to no problem, so I don't think you should have much of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

All of the Tony Hawk games are good, no matter what system. I played THUG for 'Cube a while back and it works just fine.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    The only THPS GC game I've played 3, and I love it. I think the control is good it on. So THUG would be probably be just as good.
    Same here, but if I recall I think some of the balance cheat codes that were available for the PS2 were not on the Gamecube

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by EricRyan34
    All of the Tony Hawk games are good, no matter what system. I played THUG for 'Cube a while back and it works just fine.
    Agreed. I've played TH on the Playstation, Dreamcast, Cube, PC...never had a problem adjusting to the controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only major difference I can think of with the GC version is that the Z button is mapped to the Run Out move, which is a little awkward. I think Spine Transfer is just L + R, so that's pretty workable. The analog stick feels a hell of a lot better than playing it with a Dual Shock, that's for sure.

Honestly though, I can't think of a THPS/THUG game I've played with outright bad control. Even the PSP THUG2 controls well enough, despite the PSP's horrible d-pad and lack of buttons and sticks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I learned the controls to THPS on the PS back in the day, and I haven't had one bit of problems adjusting to the GC controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't have any problems playing any of the THPS games on the Gamecube. Infact, it is the system of choice for me when it comes to these games. I really like the Gamecube controller though. Some people have issues adjusting to controllers that aren't the PS2 controller, so if you are one of those people then it probably won't work out for you.

Trade List: http://gametz.com/user/Atarian75.html
    Last Game Finished: Earth Defense Force 2017 on Normal. 5/27/2009

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not worth bothering if you are used to playing with an Xbox or PlayStation pad, as the controls will just infuriate you.

I get all confuzzled with the Cube pad when playing Tony Hawk. The button configuration makes it next to impossible to do tricks you would easially do using anothr style pad, and those horrible clicky triggers are annoying and make it hard to ollie / nollie Etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I can only play it well with a Playstation Pad but go ahead if you want

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hunh. I'm a little interested now about how / why people have said Playstation / Xbox is hard to convert from, but it is like the Dreamcast. I have 2X, 3 and 4 (and a not-really-working THUG) on the Xbox, and really liked 2X and the little I saw of THUG (3 and 4 are kinda "eh" for me), but I originally learned how to play on the Dreamcast, and I saw no change from one to the other.

At this point, I think I'll try it instead of returning it and just see how it goes.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GC controller is the best for the Tony Hawk games, it fits your hand well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played THPS on all of the current systems, and I've never found the control scheme to be all that different on any of them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony Hawk games are some of the only games i refuse to play on anything except Playstation consoles...others in that list are SSX...NBA Street...and other games where playin on Xbox or GCN you miss out because there are less buttons...less buttons = less tricks = less fun
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default Re: Tony Hawk on the GameCube... worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    A long time ago, I bought THUG for my Xbox considering I had enjoyed all of the previous incarnations of it. Unfortunately, my copy doesn't quite work right, and I'm not willing to format my hard drive (and lost a ton of my 5 million game saves) to fix it. (For more info on this, look up "THUG = BUG" and you'll see...)

Anyway, today at Toys R Us, I picked up THUG for the GameCube for $10.00. I want to give it a shot, but I'm worried about the controller. How do the Tony Hawk games play on the GameCube? Should I crack it open and go for it, or return it and seek to spend my $10.00 elsewhere?
    Ah, THUG=BUG, my topic if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, the only way to fix that was through calling MS and after them beating around the bush for 15-20 minutes, giving me the code that wipes the HD. Luckily for me I didn't have anything I didn't mind losing, but it's a hassle regardless.

As for the situation at hand, if it's a huge problem, get a GCN~Ps2 adapter and be on your merry way. Check the used accessories at GS/EB. I got mine for $5.