Thread: CR2016 VS CR2032

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CR2016 VS CR2032

Ok i just cracked open my Sega CD and found out that i has a CR2016 rechargeable battery. Thinking that most all computers use a CR2032 i went and bought 2 CR2032 Lithium batterys. So heres the question whats the differerence between them and can i use a CR2032 on the Sega CD.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, neither of those are rechargable... but the real difference is the height and capacity. The 2016 is 1.6mm (hence the 16), and the 2032 is 3.2mm (again, 32). The capacity on the 2016 is only 80mAh, and the 2032 is 200mAh. They are both 3V batteries. So if you replace it with a 2032 it will work fine, and will last longer, but you need to make sure that it will actually fit in the battery holder since it's twice as thick.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    First, neither of those are rechargable...
    Okay, so shouldn't that = no right off the bat? Won't the SCD attempt to recharge the standard lithium button cel and thereby cause it to possibly burst or leak? I have a Dreamcast with this same problem, the internal rechargable lithium cel will no longer hold a charge. I was going to replace it with a normal 2032 until I remembered it was rechargable and held off.

In fact if I remember correctly Sega actually hardwired the cel to the controller board in the Dreamcast so it couldn't be removed, if it died they wanted you to send your console to Sega.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "CR" button batteries are almost never rechargable. You are confusing them with "lithium-ion" or "lithium-polymer" rechargable batteries. They are different beasts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know anything about a Sega CD... I'm only referring to what I know about the batteries. If he removed a CR2016, then the CR2032 will work fine, assuming it fits. The CR2016 isn't rechargable either, so the system must not be trying to recharge it. If you're trying to replace a rechargable battery with a lithium, you can put a diode in to keep it from trying to recharge.

DogP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Okay, so shouldn't that = no right off the bat? Won't the SCD attempt to recharge the standard lithium button cel and thereby cause it to possibly burst or leak? I have a Dreamcast with this same problem, the internal rechargable lithium cel will no longer hold a charge. I was going to replace it with a normal 2032 until I remembered it was rechargable and held off.

In fact if I remember correctly Sega actually hardwired the cel to the controller board in the Dreamcast so it couldn't be removed, if it died they wanted you to send your console to Sega.
    From Sega of America website:

Dreamcast uses an internal rechargeable battery to store its settings. Dreamcast should be turned on for at least two hours to initially charge the battery. The rechargeable battery should then last for 20 days when Dreamcast isn't being used.

The rechargeable battery in Dreamcast isn't a user-serviceable part. To have the battery replaced, follow the directions for Repairs before sending or bringing Dreamcast to an authorized Sega repair center.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly

From Sega of America website:

Dreamcast uses an internal rechargeable battery to store its settings. Dreamcast should be turned on for at least two hours to initially charge the battery. The rechargeable battery should then last for 20 days when Dreamcast isn't being used.

The rechargeable battery in Dreamcast isn't a user-serviceable part. To have the battery replaced, follow the directions for Repairs before sending or bringing Dreamcast to an authorized Sega repair center.
    Um, okay I know that. You basically repeated everything I said by quoting the SoA official stance.

What I was saying is that the rechargable battery has gone bad in one of my many DC's (they WILL go bad over time, rechargables don't last forever), and was pointing out that you can't simply replace the cel with a standard CR2032. So if the SCD battery is indeed rechargable, then "CR2016 vs CR2032" shouldn't even be an issue since it will try to charge either, causing possible damage to the battery - unless you modify the feedback circuit as DogP noted.

And "authorized Sega repair center" ha, they won't work on your DC's. And the "no user-serviceable parts" crap concerns everything, they just don't want a lawsuit if you fry your ass replacing a power supply or laser assembly.

Why they hell couldn't they just keep it simple like with the Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if the SCD battery is indeed rechargable, then "CR2016 vs CR2032" shouldn't even be an issue since it will try to charge either, causing possible damage to the battery - unless you modify the feedback circuit as DogP noted.
    If a CR2016 was used in the Sega CD (which alec006 said he pulled out), then it is NOT rechargable, so physical size is all that you have to worry about.

DogP

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was hard to pull out,they sodered it down , at least i had a soder and soder sucker. Thanks for all the help guys.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a quickie to remeber the cr2032 with factory ears (found on most gameconsoles) are rechargable the standard cr2032 that you find at your local dealer or your local PC aint. as the battery in a PC only keeps the cmos chip alive it doesnt need that much power and can last years without replacement, also note that once power is resumed the circuit is cut out.
    Broken? fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No... none of the CR2032's are rechargable... whether they have ears or not. The ears are just that... ears. The computer battery does the same thing as the cartridge battery... keeps the chip powered so it can keep doing what it's doing, whether that is keeping a clock running, or holding the data on an SRAM chip. They made the PC batteries without ears because they wanted them to be replacable if they die... with a cartridge, they don't expect you to replace the battery (they want you to send it in for repair, which is why they put the security bits on).

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

No... none of the CR2032's are rechargable... whether they have ears or not. The ears are just that... ears. The computer battery does the same thing as the cartridge battery... keeps the chip powered so it can keep doing what it's doing, whether that is keeping a clock running, or holding the data on an SRAM chip. They made the PC batteries without ears because they wanted them to be replacable if they die... with a cartridge, they don't expect you to replace the battery (they want you to send it in for repair, which is why they put the security bits on).

DogP
    Yup, if a 2032 cel is rechargable it'll usually say "RECHARGABLE" on the positive side of the cel itself.