Thread: Need help burning DC Squares

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help burning DC Squares

After playing DC Squares at ECGXPO over the weekend, I decided I wanted to download and have this game.

I expected it to be pretty simple to get - after all, the developer offers it as a free (as in beer) download.

But I've been completely unable to get the game from my PC to my Dreamcast.

One download is called a CD Image download. If I take that image file (a .cdi) and burn it to a CD using Discjuggler, I get a CD that I can use to play the game in Windows, Linux, or a Mac.

Then there is a download that is labelled as the Dreamcast version. This is NOT an image file, unfortunately; rather, it is a collection of files. I tried burning these files to a CD and closing the session - this disc wouldn't boot in my Dreamcast either.

I tried running the program SELFBOOT.EXE against that directory - it complained that there was no IP.BIN file, and quit.

Have any of you downloaded and burned DC Squares ? If not, are you adept at burning discs of any other homebrew Dreamcast games, and may be able to give me some pointers?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you try popping that disc that you burned with Disc Juggler into your Dreamcast? They were handing out free copies at the show (why didn't you grab one? :P ), and the guy told me that it'll work in Windows, Linux, Mac, and of course the Dreamcast. And it was one single disc, so that sounds like the image that you downloaded.

I haven't gotten a chance to try out the disc that I got, but it should work.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure. I think I tried that, but at some point during the course of the night one of my Dreamcasts stopped spinning up altogether and I went to a different DC. Later the first DC started spinning again.

So, I don't know for certain whether or not I tried that particular disc on a working DC. I'll give that a try tonight.

As for the free discs - when I first saw that DC Squares was a freebie, I'd already taken a handful of DC Freebies from the table a little to the left, hadn't yet tried DC Squares, and didn't want to be greedy. By the time I actually tried the game out, none were left. Which was disappointing, because I'd have liked to have the fancy full color case and label.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No luck - if I put the disc in with the PC versions of the game, the DC just spins the disc in vain, never loading anything.

If I boot with the Utopia disc, and then put the DC Squares disc in, the DC Squares game is again not recognized.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to post a question to the DC community's forums, and take my lumps when they point out the help/tutorial info plastered all over the place (that, btw, isn't managing to help me in this case).

If any of you have managed to download DC Squares and burn it to a CD-R, I'm anxious to hear how you did it.
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK - night 3 was the charm. I got it working.

NUTSHELL:
    1) The DC download is a set of plain files, and isn't self-bootable.
    2) You must install and use SELFBOOT.EXE and run it against the directory of DCSquares files.
    3) The directory doesn't include an IP.BIN file. I needed to download one and place it in the same directory as the rest of the files. I found one at http://www.dchomebrew.org/selfboot.shtml (also the source of the solution I'm summarizing here).
    4) SELFBOOT.EXE consistently complained and bombed out on me originally. It doesn't like directory paths with spaces. Once I moved my DC Squares directory to a simple path with no spaces ( C:\DCSQUARES ), SELFBOOT.EXE ran without a hitch.

Now, off to take care of some work obligations, and then to play the new game!
    My Resume
    My Blog