Thread: PSX Memory card reading as PocketStation on PS2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSX Memory card reading as PocketStation on PS2

I have a Performance Brand memory card for Playstation consoles. When I insert it in my PS2, it reads as a pocket station. I do not know why this is happening. I tried in it in a friend's PS2 and it still reads PocketStation. I do not even own a pocket station. Was this card formatted wrong from the factory? Or was it made this way? If anyone else has had anything like this happen or is it just me? Any thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Part of a post I made in a thread concerning damage done to a PS2's memory card slot (physical damage as in the third party card was too thick)...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    ...Those MadCatz PS1 cards would have to be jammed into the PS2 cart slot and would be a bitch to insert and remove, my guess is they slightly altered the memory card connection areas. (they also would always be seen by the PS2 browser as PocketStations) ...
    Yes, some third party unlicensed PS1 memory cards are read as PocketStations. Nothing wrong with the card other than it being unlicensed and I've never heard any reason why they come up as this. The card being incorrectly formatted is impossible or it wouldn't work. It will save and load PS1 game saves fine, it just shows up as a PocketStation in the PS2 browser. Honestly now that PS1 memory cards are so cheap used I'd replace any third party PS1 memory cards with official Sony ones, since, quoting my post in that other thread again...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    ...Moral of the story: spend the extra $5 and keep it first party when it comes to memory cards, even if third party stuff is licensed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the reason to the pocketstation is quite simple they missread the data when they used a logicanalyser or did it bad in thier replica Microprocessor that emulates the PS2 orignal memorycard chipset. Some units are more picky then otherones.
    Broken? fix it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeiruKoji View Post
    I have a Performance Brand memory card for Playstation consoles. When I insert it in my PS2, it reads as a pocket station. I do not know why this is happening. I tried in it in a friend's PS2 and it still reads PocketStation. I do not even own a pocket station. Was this card formatted wrong from the factory? Or was it made this way? If anyone else has had anything like this happen or is it just me? Any thoughts.

..hi may I ask a favor pls.
    can I have that memory card?
    you see I believe I have more use for it, being a pocket station memory card.
    if you agree, ill tell you the reason as part of it.

how about it.

-woou

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

well thats not sketchy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol yeah I know. I have a memory cards like this I found in a thrift but god knows where it is now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its just a request for a card,anyones like this one, if your willing to part with it.
    my offer still stands.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Yes, some third party unlicensed PS1 memory cards are read as PocketStations. Nothing wrong with the card other than it being unlicensed and I've never heard any reason why they come up as this. The card being incorrectly formatted is impossible or it wouldn't work. It will save and load PS1 game saves fine, it just shows up as a PocketStation in the PS2 browser. Honestly now that PS1 memory cards are so cheap used I'd replace any third party PS1 memory cards with official Sony ones, since, quoting my post in that other thread again...
    A bit of an old thread but I just tested a PS1 card in a PS2 now and it came up as a PocketStation, only the card was an official Playstation memory card. When I get a chance I'll try it out in a real PS1 console just to see if it can be read properly. Glad to find this thread as I thought the card was broken.

Also tried out a Gameshark card and an Interact card but they weren't recognized by the console. Are they broken or do they only work with the matching discs?