View Poll Results: Was Metal Gear Solid 2 a necessary addition to the Metal Gear storyline?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

10 35.71%
  • YES

18 64.29%

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 2 was it REALLY necessary?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear Solid 2 was it REALLY necessary?

Heres my rant:

MGS2 is a waste of time when put into the overall perspective of the WHOLE MG series.

At the end of MGS2 you are told that the whole damn thing was basically just an excorsise of sorts for the sissy-boy RAIDEN

First off the storyline copies the original MGS "SHADOW MOSES incident" storyline almost down to the letter hell they even tell you this at the end of the game and the man himself Hideo Kojima has stated the very same thing.

The only REAL true revelation or NEW element that was added to the Metal Gear methos was the convoluted PATRIOTS storyline/arc thing wich was far better explained in MGS3.

In fact I think MGS2 is a damn good game but completely unecessary in the overall aspect of the Metal Gear storyline.
    It added very little to the series.

In fact a a gamer has to only play MGS3 (the first) and MGS (or Twin Snakes GC) to get the whole MGS storyline so far! including the original NES and MSX versions of course but those arent really part of the "solid' storyline.

So my question to you is WAS METAL GEAR SOLID 2:SONS OF LIBERTY A NECESSARY ADDTITION TO THE METAL GEAR STORYLINE?

I THINK NOT

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only recently picked up Metal Gear 2 for my Xbox....because it was only $5 Canadian for a new sealed copy. I had skipped it because the press didn't seem too enthused about it.

Best Metal Gear game in my opinion? Metal Gear Acid.......no question about it. Now that I've played it, I feel that Metal Gear always SHOULD have been turn based. I can hardly wait for the new one.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It will always looked at as the 'bastard child' of the series, but I will always go on record saying that I enjoyed it-regardless of who I was playing as.

After a while, the story moved to the odd side, but Kojima knows what he's doing, and there certainly was a purpose for setting up MGS2 the way he did.

Besides, if the story wasn't what it was, we wouldn't have been able to hear about the Colonel's out of body experiences, or his need for scissors.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the game when I got it, and I still do. I know there are alot of people who complain about the fact that you're Raiden through most of the game, but I thought he was a pretty good character. He's young, and more agile than Snake. I would even think that after Snake's days are up (as it seems to be heading in that direction), that he would make the good replacement. I loved his dodging, you know, the cartwheel-type flip thing? That was an awesome move I'm not sure if it was an absolutely necessary game as far as storyline, but it was great none-the-less.

As far as the first two Metal Gears go, they are definitely part of the Solid storyline. It's quite obvious they are part of it actually, or else Grey Fox wouldn't be in the games and the fact that he and Snake fought in a mine field wouldn't be present. There's also all this about Big Boss and what have you. I'm actually hoping that in MGS4, you're Big Boss and you're retrieving the Metal Gear plans for whatever government, and then decides to keep it for himself.... enter Metal Gear 1. Anyway, that's off-topic.

Did I like MGS2? Yes. Did I like the storyline? Yes. Does it stand out as having to have existed? Maybe not, but I'm glad I spent each penny that I did on it Good topic, by the way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MGS2 was not so much a GAME as it was a ridiculously long MOVIE with short gameplay-esque features. It's almost as if they were in there to tease us - this is what you COULD have been playing if we hadn't decided to turn it into an hours long cutscene fest! I agree, it added nothing to the series that you can't get from the other games.

It's fun to watch/play through though, as long as you have quite a bit of free time on your hands. Just don't expect the greatest game experience of your life, because it simply isn't. The story gets highly convoluted and difficult to piece together, and obviously suffers from some language barriers through the translation as well. Kojima certainly doesn't deserve to be worshipped as if the game was shat out as solid gold.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MGS2 remains my favorite Metal Gear Game, personally, even after having played through MGS3.

It basically played like the original MGS, same brand of sneaking (which is very different from what you get in MGS3, for isntance) but with great innovations, like the First Person mode, etc... I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of the MGS3 gameplay, I was more in that one for the storyline.

I also feel like MGS3 is more of the un-needed one. MGS3 could have just been a couple of brief flashback story-moments in MGS4. I was very disappointed when I found out that MGS3 was not going to continue forward with the Patriots/Ocelot storyline and instead was going back in time as a prequel.

MGS4 will make up for all of it though, and I plan to re-play the entire series just before I get my copy

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

MGS2 has good solid gameplay, the only problem is that it's over shadowed by the long cutscenes.

HOWEVER, the game gives us lots on important information and sets up Guns of the Patriots. Don't claim that it's irrelevant until after MGS4 is out.

MGS2 also served as a test for new gameplay. MGS3 would not be what it is today without MGS2. The game is great is just doesn't have the right balence of gameplay and cutscenes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

MGS2 has plenty of Gameplay, excellent replay value and an overall good story. Sure some cut scenes may be long but most people exagerate about them. Thanks to those idiots , games like MGS3 lacked in explaining the back ground history of your enemies which made them seem pretty bland compared to the enimies from MGS1 and 2.

This game came out back in 2001, and still looks excellent today as well as gameplay wise. If your going to critize a game for "too many" cut scenes, don't complain NEXT GEN , when games barely have any and have weak endings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember when MGS2 totally rocked my pants off?

Oh, I do.

And if you say MGS2 DID not have good gameplay, then you are on crack. When it came out, it totally ramped up the playability of the first MGS. First-Person Shooting was huge. Hold-Ups = Fantastic. The roll was solid, same with hanging over ledges.

And the story, was absolutely crazy and absurd, yet to me it was a fun romp. The entire game pretty much showcased how badass Snake was as well. Anyways, people always bitch about the plot, but it was different, and well, Kojima is different, so it did not surprise me.

Well, except for the whole Vamp nailing Fortune's dad, and then nailing her. That was just weird.

EDIT -
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    Sure some cut scenes may be long but most people exagerate about them. Thanks to those idiots , games like MGS3 lacked in explaining the back ground history of your enemies which made them seem pretty bland compared to the enimies from MGS1 and 2.
    MGS3 is godlike, but that was the one thing in the game that kinda let me down. Stupid whiners.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 was it REALLY necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Heres my rant:

MGS2 is a waste of time when put into the overall perspective of the WHOLE MG series.

At the end of MGS2 you are told that the whole damn thing was basically just an excorsise of sorts for the sissy-boy RAIDEN

First off the storyline copies the original MGS "SHADOW MOSES incident" storyline almost down to the letter hell they even tell you this at the end of the game and the man himself Hideo Kojima has stated the very same thing.

The only REAL true revelation or NEW element that was added to the Metal Gear methos was the convoluted PATRIOTS storyline/arc thing wich was far better explained in MGS3.

In fact I think MGS2 is a damn good game but completely unecessary in the overall aspect of the Metal Gear storyline.
    It added very little to the series.

In fact a a gamer has to only play MGS3 (the first) and MGS (or Twin Snakes GC) to get the whole MGS storyline so far! including the original NES and MSX versions of course but those arent really part of the "solid' storyline.

So my question to you is WAS METAL GEAR SOLID 2:SONS OF LIBERTY A NECESSARY ADDTITION TO THE METAL GEAR STORYLINE?

I THINK NOT
    Congratulations! You missed the entire goddamn point.

I mean, really. That takes some talent. I haven't seen something go this far over somebody's head since the guy saying that MGS3 should've ended after the Shagohod, thus omitting the entire Boss storyline, and had more EVA nudity.

Eat cartwheels suckas!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes indeed, it was necesary, not just for the storyline, but for me too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I loved MGS2, even though I admit that the plot was... screwy. Then I read this article, and in an oxymoronic way, its screwiness made sense. Take a look 'ere: http://www.insertcredit.com/features/dreaming2/

And IMO, Raiden is underrated. Granted, nobody can quite fill Solid Snake's shoes, but this bit of the article puts things into perspective:

In Metal Gear Solid 2, we see a guy who's a loner in a different way. Yes, Snake is always there -- and maybe it was Kojima’s intention to make Snake even more beloved by not letting us control him. Maybe it was Kojima’s intention to make us feel the great difference between the two characters. Snake is a hardened military stereotype. Raiden is just a guy.
    And for the record, I'm a slight tad more partial to the cartwheel as opposed to the roll. There, I said it.

Raiden does get minus points for the whole nudity thing, though. :P
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 2 cents? No, it added NOTHING to the storyline, obviously.
    Was it an enjoyable game, with good gameplay/grpahics/sound/blah blah? Yes, UNTIL the 2nd or 3rd plot twist, and then things went WAY downhill. I remember being at what I THOUGHT was the final boss battle, and then him stating the stunning "this is a simulation" thing, and thinking how stupid it was, THEN I had to go into downtown japan and fight him on a rooftop and he was some type of robot-esque fighting guy, and then I watched 30 minutes of live footgae of people walking around, and it said game over.

Top that off with playing as a sissy-boy surfer the entire game, and it left a VERY BAD taste in my mouth.

I'll admit though, if it had just ENDED when it should have, how it should have, it would have been a great by-line of the series.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5