Thread: Video Game Robbery

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game Robbery

Mods feel free to move

One of the worst things to happen to a gamer besides losing the use of ones hands has occurred to me. After returning from work yesterday I came home to find that my place had been broken into and all my systems that were under the TV were gone and many but not all of my games and about $50 in change.

Stuff gone includes

Modded X box with expanded harddrive
    PS2
    Gamecube
    Dreamcast
    neo fami
    NGPC
    SNES
    NES
    Genesis (ver. 3)

On the plus side all my artwork and books were fine as well as my PC which has all my grad school stuff on it.

Worst of all my cat was traumatized and was super scarred, he is better now. I have no clue what was done to him since he is such a super friendly cat. Hopefully the police will catch the guy(s) but I am not holding my breath.

If anyone knows of someone selling or has a modded x box with expanded hard drive and roms for a good price let me know. The X box was what I am most sad at losing; I even bought it from a fellow DPer.

Thanks and watch your stuff!
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry to hear that :/
    ------------------------------

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you have any homeowners/renters insurance on your stuff?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Been there....

Several years ago I had my (then new) Dreamcast stoien (they left the games next to it), as well as my PC and a box of misc. retro games. Called the police, they came, flashed there flashlight around looking for potential prints and generally did not care much; they took a report which they showed little interest in until they learned I was uninsured (this made it clear it was not some type of insurance fraud. They theif was obviously from our maintenance department, or connected to it (they entered with a key) yet nothing ever happened. Case was sent to a detective, who sent me a generic letter, and whom I never heard from again.

Now I am insured and prepared to properly show my insurance company the replacement value of everything I need to.

Burglary is croossing a line but messing with the pets crosses a second line that I personally would be afraid what I would do to someone...

(Any of your neighbors obviously on drugs? check them out...most burglaries are drug related).

Sorry they got you; personally, I was miserable, and anxious for weeks when I got hit. I was also suspicious of everyone...

Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Milwaukee sucks...plain and simple.

Obviously, people can have their house broken into anywhere, but in Milwaukee it's almost a guarantee...no change that...it's a 100% frickin guarantee. I could write a 5 page post citing example after example of people I know getting their cars and houses burglarized.

My advice is to hit the resale shops...the ones that don't require an ID to sell stuff to. You may find everything right at one place.

And one more thing...renters insurance is virtually worthless without receipts, pictures, and a police report.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn that sux We installed housealarm today acctualy. I dont know what I would do if all my games were stolen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Man, talk about suckage. Hope you find the bastards and they get what they deserve. Thisk ind of thing makes me worried about my stuff, and man I hate that. "The world is a safe place" my ass. If someone stole any of stuff, I know I'd try my best to hunt them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had lent out my launch day SNES with Super Mario All-Stars to a family friend, only to have it stolen by some drug-addled asshole. It cost me my We Love Katamari fund and then some to replace, due to SNES stuff maintaining its value and the fact that prolonged exposure to eBay turns even the nicest people into greedy douchebags.

Not as bad as your situation, but it still hurt. My SNES is probably sitting at a local pawn shop with a $70 price tag on it.

Drugs are another enemy of the common gamer, as people who are addicted to them will steal your shit before you have time to blink.

I feel for you, man.
    Sailorneorune
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you have alarm in your house btw?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    My advice is to hit the resale shops...the ones that don't require an ID to sell stuff to. You may find everything right at one place.
    I second that. In fact, you'll want to talk to the clerk in each store and give them a list of what was taken (along with any registration numbers, if you have them) with your phone number and if they're gamers, they'll be more than happy to help.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    Check out eBay too, see if you can find any of your stuff being sold at that location.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I do have insurance and will be calling tomorrow or Monday if they are not open on the weekend.

Also my cat is doing much better, which is good. I think they kicked him across the room since he is so friendly and probably was getting in the way.

Also I do not have an alarm.

I am just glad that my other stuff that is really important to me such as my artwork and historical stuff from my European travels is fine.

Phillip K. Dick

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be killing someone right now if that happened and installing an alarm system. Plus if you wanted even more install security cameras and motion sensers. Sorry to hear about this man ill keep my eyes on the web and ebay.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Glad to hear your cat is doing fine, poor fellah.

BTW, do you live in a house or apartment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Listwan
    Also my cat is doing much better, which is good. I think they kicked him across the room since he is so friendly and probably was getting in the way.
    If someone stole my game stuff, I'd be pretty pissed. If someone kicked my cat, I'd pummel the unholy shit out of them and give them a very deep understanding of the word "pain". There's just some things you don't do, and fucking with a weaker creature that's just trying to be nice is one of them.

On a tangent, this DID remind me of Sudden Impact (Clint Eastwood movie; the 4th Dirty Harry movie) where he comes back from the fairgrounds to find Horus dead in his apartment. Clint, in his typical badass hoarse voice says, "Horus!" and then Clint's dog hobbles into view, suggesting that whoever killed Horus fucked with Clint's dog. The facial expression that Clint gives combined with his low growl make me laugh every time. Dark comedy gold, right there. Highly recommended series (though The Dead Pool is a piece of crap, even if it is the only sequel to even try to relate to the earlier movies). Bloodwork was another good one, and I consider that Dirty Harry 5 even if he didn't play Harry Calahan.

Back on topic, my playstation and all of my games got stolen back in ~96. We kept the games in a cd binder and the cases in a box in the basement...so I still have some long boxes for games I don't even own anymore (though other games I've picked up loose over the years). While I realize Tekken isn't that great of a game anymore, I really did love playing it in arcades back then and I was pretty damn excited to get it for Christmas that year

Too Long; Didn't Read: Game theft sucks, but animal abuse is fucked up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am deeply sorry to hear that this happened to you. Someone stealing your games is bullshit, but the fact that they may have hurt an animal such as a cat really gets to me. I would love to get together with you tot rack these people down, I would beat them unmerciful just for even thinking of hurting an innocent animal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

its probably someone you know in the neighborhood.

Think about who you might have mentioned all the video game stuff you have too.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I'm very sorry to hear that. Thats why I don't think I'll take all my systems with me if I choose to transfer to Uni of Houston. I don't trust places where your rent etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not anyone from the my hood that I know of. Seeing as how the only people I talk to around here are in their 40s+ and anyone younger around here has not been in my place and I have not mentioned anything that is in here to them.

Yeah I am pissed and wish I could kick someones ass, but I also realise that me finding who did it is probably not going to happen. The police did get some prints, but I am not optimistic. I told my students about this (I am a special edu. teacher) and they all had the same responses that you guys have given.

I also live in a house, I have been living here over a year now, during the summer I bought the house.

On the plus side all my classict gaming stuff which is in my closet was left untouched since it is in boxes : )

I will keep you guys updated.

Phillip K. Dick

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hope the prints gives results on who did it. Good that they didnt take your games in the closet. I have acctualy a few games in the safe hehe. There was some free space so why not put some rare games in there