View Poll Results: Is a Seller Responsible to Refund a Buyer if Their Item is Lost in Transit?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's not the buyer's responsibility. The seller is responsible to deliver whether insurance is purchased on not.

2 11.11%
  • No. If the seller can prove that the item was shipped and the buyer chose to not purcahse optional insurance then its the buyer's problem.

16 88.89%

Thread: PayPal Chargebacks for Lost Items - A Poll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PayPal Chargebacks for Lost Items - A Poll

It seems like there's always a story going on here about a seller that hasn't received an item that they purchased and the conversation always seems to lead towards filing a PayPal complaint.

What I'd like to know Is if everyone thinks that its necessarily fair to automatically expect the seller to refund a payment when an item is legitimately lost in shipping and the seller didn't purchase the optional insurance

Actually, the same can be asked whether it's fair to give someone a negative feedback if an item is lost in transit.

Again, this is all based on the fact that the seller can provide a tracking number or delivery confirmation number to prove that the item was actually shipped.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how can a seller leave tracking etc? in the uk, this kinda thing is not done, and the buyer does not want to pay extra for it, it only seems to be asked for when the buyer is from malaysia or far afield. The point here is that, PAYPAL is fine, but if you have something to sell that is worth over £30 then get a po order or cheque, or is that check...........i don't know, and i don't care .

me auctions (nice condition orig gameboy)
    http://video-games.search.ebay.co.uk...assZsaltymavis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biscuitbrain
    how can a seller leave tracking etc? in the uk, this kinda thing is not done, and the buyer does not want to pay extra for it,
    I'm not familiar with you can or can't be done in the UK but the fact that a buyer doesn't want to pay extra for the insurance is really my point. To me it takes a lot of balls for a buyer to decline the optional insurance but then expect to be protected anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i voted Yes, only because that is the way i would handle it!

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    To me it takes a lot of balls for a buyer to decline the optional insurance but then expect to be protected anyways.
    Agreed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I'm not familiar with you can or can't be done in the UK but the fact that a buyer doesn't want to pay extra for the insurance is really my point. To me it takes a lot of balls for a buyer to decline the optional insurance but then expect to be protected anyways.
    My additional problem with the system is that even if the buyer does opt for the insurance, there is nothing to ensure that they co-operate with the process of filing the claim.

It is not possible to obtain a payout on the insurance in the UK without the co-operation of the buyer, therefore it is perfectly possible for them to pay for the insurance, file a chargeback through Paypal and yet not assist with the insurance claim. Net result - seller loses out.

(N.B. it should also be noted that in the UK there are numerous services that include insurance, but do not provide online tracking, which is the only sort that Paypal recognise).

I voted no.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous