Thread: PSP Game/Firmware Compatibility List

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP Game/Firmware Compatibility List

If anybody knows or has imported PoPoLoCrois, does it require a firmware update from 1.50? Does anybody know concerning The Legend of Heroes and any firmware requirements? I don't want to waste $40 on a game that forces me to update my firmware, thus eliminating the emulation potentials of the PSP. Unless I want to wait for someone to hack newer firmware versions, I might need to invest in a second PSP--maybe one of those aesthetically pleasing white ones.

In light of PoPoLoCrois and The Legend of Heroes (among numerous new releases) coming out for the PSP in only a few weeks, I thought we might populate this thread with individual reports concerning each PSP game and the minimum firmware required for it (i.e., does the game force you to update your firmware from 1.50). A friend of mine erroneously updated his firmware to play the new arcade classics game released for the PSP and lost the ability to run home-brew, and I don't want to make a similar mistake. This thread should make an excellent resource for those who love the PSP's emulation capabilities, but still look forward to playing the new releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good question. I just was looking for a list like this the other day. This should be moved to the video game forum.

I don't know what firmware PoPoLoCrois uses, but I know that there is a homebrew app that will trick the games into thinking that you are using firmware higher than 1.5. I haven't tried it myself yet (don't have any games that require it) but I hear it works pretty well and you should be able to play any game with it. I think you can get it at www.wab.com.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: PSP Game/Firmware Compatibility List

I believe Namco Museum Battle Collection was the first North American PSP release to require 1.52 firmware, and every release since then has also required 1.52. I know for certain that the NA version of PoPoLo needs 1.52.

And the homebrew app that fools a 1.0/1.5 PSP into thinking it's a 1.52 or 2.00 PSP, while allowing you to continue running 'brews and emus, indeed works.

-- Z.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

All the version exploit does is change the string text that shows in your "system info" screen to whatever version it needs to be. But that's all the games are checking for at the moment, so it's all that's needed.

No game actually uses anything that the newer firmwire installs on the PSP. Or more precisely there is nothing game related installed so far with the firmware updates.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I know for certain that the NA version of PoPoLo needs 1.52.
    How did you find out the NA version of PoPoLo needs 1.52?

By the way, Namco Battle Museum is the game with which my friend messed up his PSP's emulating capabilities.

I look forward into studying this WAB technique further. Does anyone know if it is a permanent change to the PSP (at least in the text) and if any ramifications happen thereafter because of it (e.g., not being able to update the PSP's firmware at a later date, the PSP exploding, etc.)? By not permanent I mean I can change my PSP back to displaying 1.50 in the event it causes something to go awry.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have an older game just swap the games before the psp loads the games. WOrks like magic.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by legzelda
    How did you find out the NA version of PoPoLo needs 1.52?
    I got a review copy that required me to gamble on the pseudo-update program or buy a second PSP. :)

I look forward into studying this WAB technique further. Does anyone know if it is a permanent change to the PSP (at least in the text) and if any ramifications happen thereafter because of it (e.g., not being able to update the PSP's firmware at a later date, the PSP exploding, etc.)? By not permanent I mean I can change my PSP back to displaying 1.50 in the event it causes something to go awry.
    It's not a permanent change. The program allows you to restore your PSP version number to 1.0 or 1.50, so you can legitimately update your firmware later.

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a review copy that required me to gamble on the pseudo-update program or buy a second PSP.
    How did you manage to get a review copy? Lucky . . . I really look forward to this game (although I picked up the PSP on launch day, it will be the first game I buy). I assume the WAB method worked for PoPoLo, then? What encouraging news!

It's not a permanent change. The program allows you to restore your PSP version number to 1.0 or 1.50, so you can legitimately update your firmware later.
    Even more good news! I will have to give this method a gander when I pick up PoPoLoCrois.

Thanks for your help.