Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever considered "Selling up"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Anyone ever considered "Selling up"

Anyone ever considered selling everything (Game collection) and buying something else, like a mortgage for a house or maybe a car of soem description? Ever think that you could perhaps be putting your money to a better use?

I often have these sorts of thoughts whenever I am ill. I lay there in bed and think to myself "Why do I bother" ~ But then I get better and I realise it's just crazy talk! Lol.

But, some people do have these momentary lapses of clarity, when they realise that maybe they have spent far too much on collecting games, and feel they could perhaps have put that money to better use.

Some people I know have sold up everything in the past to focus on their familty or to buy the sports car they always dreamt of. One person I know sold everything to fund a six month trip around the world!!!

Thing is, each and every one of them regrets doing so. Sure, they needed the money to fund somthing else (And a family is a good enough excuse I guess, especially if a baby is due) but they all resent having to part with what they loved the most.

Most of them have since started buying back some of their favourite games they previously got rid of.

Basically, would you rather starve yourself when you could easially sell a game or two, or would you sell your entire collection to buy the Ferrari you always wanted? Would you sell your stuff if a GF / BF or spouse told you to?

I have always vowed never to get rid of my collection ~ For any reason ~ Ok, I sell the odd game here and there which I have previously bought on eBay and arrived damaged, but they technically aren't part of my collection. I'd never sell teh whole lot though, or even split it to get some "Quick cash" - I would rather work for my cash than sell my belongings.

What makes it even harder is, a lot of my collection I would never be able to find again, in the condition I have it in. Not without paying big bucks at least, and that's if I ever came across it again. A lot of my collection now has sentimental value, and I have gone to some extreme lengths to obtain certain items ~ I#ve already made a lot of acrifices to obtain them, and ain't going to be giving them up so easially

Mind you, IF you did so, just think what you'd be able to buy with all that change!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been doing this very slowly for about a year now, and will likely need another year to finally get rid of everything. Outside of keeping the consoles and games I actually want to play, it's all going. Why? So that I don't have to touch my real income to support my arcade hobby, which is vastly more important to me.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would for a house but never a car. cars go down in value to fast.

But I don't need to do that. If I had to sell my collection to make a house payment of put food on the table I would.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I'll take the Kevin Smith answer. I'll sell my collection if i absouletly have to, say to finance something, but as soon as i can i'm buying it back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of coarse I have thought about it, but those thoughts are usually followed by "only if I need alot of money to put a down-payment on a house."
    I don't think I could justify letting all that time collecting going down the drain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Actually, I have been thinking about this.

I'm in college, Need money, can't rationalize some games I have, Want cool ones to enjoy,....what would be the problem? But then, you get that itch..........

Well, If anyone wanted some Genesis rarities like Warsong, zero: kamikaze squirrel, or Madden 93 championship edition for genesis, which I DO have and AM considering selling/trading, I wouldn't mind, i think. It may give me the opporitunity to get more NES games (only at 250).

Selling it all completely? yeah, sure. But would anyone buy ALL of my stuff? Most of the time, to get the most of your money, you gotta piece it out one by one. I just don't know if I'd want to make that many pains in my ass right now.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I think you read my mind Gemini-Phoenix, about your thread! I personally have never really thought about selling my collection, maybe sometimes thought about selling some of it but never everything, but have wondered if anyone else on here has thought of it.

Now, my collection is no where near the size of some of you guys on here, but I do own alot of rare, higher priced items. Like my sealed games collection. While I don't have huge amounts of sealed games, I do have rare ones like Zelda 1 + 2 GOLD versions, for instance. I like outdoor stuff, so have thought about selling a fews things to either get an ATV, Motorcycle, stuff like that. While my collection would never get me a new car, I still wouldn't trade my collection for a car anyways. I can however see how someone might sell their entire collections for a new car, house, baby coming, etc.

While I do think about sometimes selling a few items, which I do now and then to buy other things, granted they are ALWAYS video game related, I would never sell my entire collection. (Who knows though, that could change in one, two, maybe even 30 years) But who knows??

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liquidate stuff for "quick cash" and then re-buy all the time, and the actual "collection" is typically dwarfed by the inventory of stuff bought somewhere or other at a substantial discount purely for the purposes of resale, an inventory which is constantly rotating.

The only reason I can do this is because my collecting tastes don't tend to be anything particularly un-attainable. I'd never have an M2 console or a copy of Stadium Events...just not my style. Anything I sell I can usually re-buy very easily later.

The exception to this is when I sold off a bunch of things I had purchased while in Japan, I regret EVERY BIT of that. I didn't get as much as I wanted for any of it, it had sentimental value since it was from an actual trip, and a lot of it was genuinely rare gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Of coarse I have thought about it, but those thoughts are usually followed by "only if I need alot of money to put a down-payment on a house."
    I don't think I could justify letting all that time collecting going down the drain.
    See, I would do whatever I could to wait and save the money rather than selling it to buy a new house. But, granted, I am one of those people who will be making a choice revolving around video games when I do buy a house. What I mean is I will need a couple rooms JUST for my video games. I am lucky enough to have a girlfroend of 4 years, future wife, that won't care if I use a few rooms when we finally can get a house. Actually, she is also a gamer too.
    Yes, I am that obsessed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I am currently in a situation like Gemini said, but only out of desperation.

Actually last week was the worst week I've ever had. My dad had a stroke, someone tried to rape my girlfriend, and I totaled my car. Now the insurance will not pay for it because I hit a deer and it sat outside through Rita so all the blood on the side was washed off. Now there is no proof and to top it all off I had $2,000 worth of car audio equipment stolen at the fucking wrecker service place. But they are not liable because the have a small sign in back that nobody knows about except them that says "not resposible for damage or loss due to theft or fires"

So basically I have to sell my collection or not have any transportation. As it is by the time I get enough for a vehicle I'll have to drop my college classes because I will have missed too damn much to fucking pass. So thats more money I am out of.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

NO and.......Yes..
    I'll never sell most of stuff in my collection,I never even consisder it......but somethings in my collection I have decided to sell..Stuff I can obtain again,and have no use for right now.
    Mainly Arcade items(not MVS or Cabs)that sit on the shelf and never get played..Stuff I thought about puttng in Arcade cabinets(bought empty) in the future that I'll never do..

I've sold off several Arcade items to buy Pocket Bikes and equipement...(.Arcade items from my collection)
    The Pocket Bikes I ride/race and work on a lot....As to the sold Arcade items,they just sit..
    .................................................. ...........................
    My Cabs,Game collection/systems,VB Display Unit I'll never sell..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my complete US/EUR SNES collection (all games with boxes, manuals, inserts, the whole shebang, and all hardware variations and just about every accessory on the planet) to get the money to finish paying for school and living expenses.

I pine for those games every now and again, but it was one of the best investments I ever made - if I hadn't put that money into the games, I probably wouldn't have had it around when I needed it the most.

When life expenses get in the way, the gaming gear takes a back seat. Unfortunate, but hey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I really needed the money to survive, I would sell my collection. I would keep some things though. Nothing rare, but things that really mean a lot to me, like the Mega Man 6 my best friend gave to me (he moved, and haven't seen him since), or like my N64 system, or Genesis. Those mean a whole lot more than my rare games. Anyways, I doubt I would need to sell them any time soon though since I'm only 15.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe. Well, since I am a Christian, I would have to say I would certainly sell it all if necessary. Ultimately nothing I own is really mine anyway ....

But even if you are not, anyone who wouldn't sell a few games to put food on their plate, or buy clothes for their children if they were strapped for cash is simply a fool, IMHO.

Of course, I am not fighting for food, and I don't have any children.

But as it happens, I am selling my whole collection anyway, simply because collecting was taking up far too much of my time and there are other things I want to be doing now. Plus I never really even played any of the games any more.

It's not going to waste though, I'm not just frittering the money away. All the money I get is going into a separate account from my living expenses account and converted to savings.

And it does feel good to know that I have as much in savings now as I owe in student loans. That is certainly a feeling of some satisfaction.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before I had a job about 3 years ago, I sold all my SNES Square titles and Earthbound complete in order to buy a Gamecube. I looked back and nearly cried. As soon as I found a job, I bought the shit out of all those games.

Not being a Christian, I wouldn't sell them for anything less than life or death for me or a family member.
    Myself, I would never get rid of something I love like my collection. I'd never part with it. I love my collection too much. It's the main reason I have a job. A job without fun at the end of the day, is no life for me.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nope. Never, not in a million years. I did this before and I still regret it to this day.

I would rather find a better job or even work two jobs than sell this stuff. I miss my first SNES collection (had all the rare stuff CIB), TurboDuo/Turbo Express, and Genesis stuff.

It's taken me quite a bit of time and effort to replace the collection I had when I was younger.

Never again.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Bluteg
    So basically I have to sell my collection or not have any transportation. As it is by the time I get enough for a vehicle I'll have to drop my college classes because I will have missed too damn much to fucking pass. So thats more money I am out of.
    It's alright man. There are many things more important that our worldly possessions, and many more things beyond that more important than videogames.

Enjoy life, any way you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my collection. I love it quite a bit.

But if it came down to having to choose between having a bunch of games I don't have time to play or having a nice house for my family...well... the collection is going up on ebay

(p.s. we're trying to get a house right now, so keep your eyes peeled on ebay )

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    It's alright man. There are many things more important that our worldly possessions, and many more things beyond that more important than videogames.

Enjoy life, any way you can.
    Thanks Joe, you words put a smile on my face on a day when I really needed it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here in the Northeast you have to sell your soul, limbs and first born to afford a house in most locations (not necessarily in that order). Unless of course your willing to devote 70-80% of your income monthly and live in an unfurnished house for a couple years until you can capitalize on that equity and buy all the video game goodness you want....oh wait maybe I've thought about this too much.

But seriously, if your asking whether its viable to sell your collection to finance the purchase of a house I would say hell yes. Just remember to add at least 20% on to that monthly mortgage payment to account for added expenses.
    (not including food, beer, and strippers).

And if you have anything irreplacable in your collection, remember some limbs you don't need to play games.