Thread: Best fanzine

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best fanzine

Other than DP,duh.

So far I get DP,2600 connection and will get 1-UP soon.What are some other good ones?(can be modern and classic)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Er, WHAT fanzines?
    My favorites from the good old days included The Good, The Bad, and The Eight-Bit; The Laser; Fantazine; Slap-Dash; Video Apocalypse; and Digital Press. Some of my own newsletters were pretty good, too, particularly The Gameroom Blitz. Unfortunately, none of these newsletters except Digital Press is in circulation. Fandom died a couple of years after the Internet became really popular... it was no longer practical to pay big bucks to send fanzines out to a limited number of readers, when a web site was much less expensive and had a far wider level of distribution.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    My favorites from the good old days included The Good, The Bad, and The Eight-Bit; The Laser; Fantazine; Slap-Dash; Video Apocalypse; and Digital Press. [...] Unfortunately, none of these newsletters except Digital Press is in circulation.
    For what it's worth, Slap-Dash is not yet officially dead... I keep hoping to push out two more issues, and make it official with the last one. Of course, I can't even keep 2600 Connection on schedule, so you can imagine that the odds of me getting a SD issue out any time soon are pretty far and out.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't know if Classic Gamer Magazine would count as a "fanzine" as it was sold at retails stores (Tower Records, I think?). THAT was pretty good.

Other than Bit Age Times and Retrotimes (at Tomorrow's Hero) I haven't really perused over any others. I just started getting Digital Press a while ago but I only have one issue and I usually hold judgement until I read another issue or two.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    I don't know if Classic Gamer Magazine would count as a "fanzine" as it was sold at retails stores (Tower Records, I think?). THAT was pretty good.
    I was gonna nominate that as my favorite, but I figured someone would declare favoritism. Writing for CGM was sort of my emergence into the hobby after sitting off in the wings for a very long time and just doing my web site. So anytime you wanna know who to blame for me hanging around here, now ya know.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default lol!

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash
    My favorites from the good old days included The Good, The Bad, and The Eight-Bit; The Laser; Fantazine; Slap-Dash; Video Apocalypse; and Digital Press. [...] Unfortunately, none of these newsletters except Digital Press is in circulation.
    For what it's worth, Slap-Dash is not yet officially dead... I keep hoping to push out two more issues, and make it official with the last one. Of course, I can't even keep 2600 Connection on schedule, so you can imagine that the odds of me getting a SD issue out any time soon are pretty far and out.
    well, if it makes you feel better, i found my disc with Continue? #3 on it a few weeks ago, and that issue was supposed to be out, what, 3 years ago, heh... x_x

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Digital press
    Turbo play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Er, WHAT fanzines?
    My favorites from the good old days included The Good, The Bad, and The Eight-Bit; The Laser; Fantazine; Slap-Dash; Video Apocalypse; and Digital Press. Some of my own newsletters were pretty good, too, particularly The Gameroom Blitz. Unfortunately, none of these newsletters except Digital Press is in circulation. Fandom died a couple of years after the Internet became really popular... it was no longer practical to pay big bucks to send fanzines out to a limited number of readers, when a web site was much less expensive and had a far wider level of distribution.

JR
    That pretty much sums it up. I have to say, though; I really prefer websites to paper fanzines. The cost of sending out just 100 copies was insane. That said, I always remain nostalgic for Masterminds, Video Apocalypse, Paradox, and of course Digital Press.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: lol!

Quote Originally Posted by geelw
    Quote Originally Posted by slapdash
    well, if it makes you feel better, i found my disc with Continue? #3 on it a few weeks ago, and that issue was supposed to be out, what, 3 years ago, heh... x_x
    Ha ha... At least you have it complete though... I only have covers and vague ideas for a couple articles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that Im thinking about Fanzines I used to get one back in the day called G-force it was based out of california but now that I jog my memory I remember It used to always bash the DP Fanzine.
    Maybe Joe can remember if he ever saw it At one point I even had videos of The Old Ces days where these 2 Fanzine Editors go head to head at the Snk booth for the prize of a Neo Geo CD. The DP editor won, Hummmmm I wonder if it was joe or one of his Cronies?
    Joe?????????

Thanks

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Hmm. I don't remember going head-to-head with any fanzine editors at CES, though I do remember one CES where I was supposed to meet a bunch of them and never did. Funny how time irons these things, out, I've met many of them years later!

You did remind me of something though. As far as I know, Digital Press was the only fanzine ever "awarded" by a pro magazine, we won "Fanzine of the Year" in ... hmm... 1993 I think. This was part of Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine's usual annual award thingy. I'm sure I have that magazine around somewhere!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, yeah... G-Force bashed EVERYONE in fandom. The editor was a complete asshole, and most likely psychotic... he would take the newsletters he received from other fanzine editors, BURN them, then send the ashes back with childish insultss scribbled on a piece of paper. Most likely, he's been taken to the insane asylum where he belongs.

JR

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Oh, yeah... G-Force bashed EVERYONE in fandom. The editor was a complete asshole, and most likely psychotic... he would take the newsletters he received from other fanzine editors, BURN them, then send the ashes back with childish insultss scribbled on a piece of paper. Most likely, he's been taken to the insane asylum where he belongs.

JR
    Wow! You'd THINK I'd remember that! One of these days soon I'll have to dig through my boxes and boxes of old fanzines.

Hey Jess, do you remember who it was or what fanzine put together entirely by pen and paper... there was NO typing at all? It stuck with me over the years but for the life of me I can't remember who did that or what it was called.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I do remember one CES where I was supposed to meet a bunch of them and never did.
    Summer CES, Chicago, 1993 I think.

Yeah, ye bastard; where the hell were you?!? :-p

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first fanzine Power Up was like that. I hope you didn't actually get an issue of that, though... :P
    Oh wait, Crappy Video Game Newsletter About What Sucks (later Infestation) started out with handwritten text, but the editor eventually graduated to a typewriter and then a computer. He actually colored the covers of his fanzines with crayon before sending them out... quite an unusual approach to publishing a 'zine.

JR

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My first fanzine Power Up was like that. I hope you didn't actually get an issue of that, though... :P
    Oh wait, Crappy Video Game Newsletter About What Sucks (later Infestation) started out with handwritten text, but the editor eventually graduated to a typewriter and then a computer. He actually colored the covers of his fanzines with crayon before sending them out... quite an unusual approach to publishing a 'zine.
    That's it! I knew you'd remember. Thanks, now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, the Crappy Videogame Newsletter About What Sucks! What great memories. I remember one issue where the author drew a Monopoly board with goofy extras, like Lincoln's hat (with a bullet hole). I never got around to using it as a drinking game, but in retrospect, it could be pretty good. I wonder, whatever happened to that kid?

Wow. It just occured to me that this post has the greatest concentration of fanzine editors in years. Maybe we should revise GEA or something.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Okay then.

Add one more to the pile!

Was Jess' non-mention of Video Zone related to the fact that I keep forgetting to add a link to GRBlitz from Kobun Heat?

I really thought I would make a new issue of Video Zone for CGE 02. Never got around to it, though. Of course, reading this post, I do want to go and break out all my back issues of Infestation...

Too bad THEY ARE ON TEH OTHER SIDE OFD TEH WORLD NOW.[/i]
    Chris Kohler