Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX 1 first to go? and sooner than expected?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBOX 1 first to go? and sooner than expected?

From Gamespot:

Although there were a fair number of games for the Sony PlayStation 2 and the Nintendo GameCube, the Microsoft Xbox made almost no appearance whatsoever.

Hmmm ALMOST NO APPEARANCE WHATSOEVER?

This shouldnt surprise me but it actually does I mean shit Microsoft is dropping the freakin Xbox 1 like a bad habit.

Hell the Xbox is the newest system out of the current 3 and it will be gone before both the PS2 and Gamecube.

The Xbox will have the shortest life-span of the 3 current gen machines by far.

I mean this is the same Xbox that has sold very well in the U.S. and certain parts of Europe right?

Then again they couldnt give the system away in Japan

But still M$ I think is burning all the Xbox gamers out there.

Reminds me of what Sega pulled with the Saturn when it was all gung-ho about the Dreamcast.[/b]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are we talking about TGS here? If so, I'd be more surprised if MS did make a huge showing. I think there are approximately a dozen people in Japan that actually care about the XBox. We definitely can't use their data as an indicator of the US XBox market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has Anthony1 got a new username?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Has Anthony1 got a new username?
    Hmm, 911 posts total... Maybe. ;-)

But yeah, XBox has never been very "big" (LOLOLOLOL) in Japan. So unless this miniscule showing was at an American or European expo, it's business as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, firstly, the GameCube is actually the newer console of the three ~ In the UK at least, being released a whole two months after the Xbox.

I think it's safe to say the PS2 wins hands down in terms of the amount of games for it so far, but I would have said the Xbox comes in second by a long shot. I would have said the GameCube is the one which is lagging behind, and by a few hundred games at that!

The one thing the GameCube has going for it is that it's small and cheap, and has a lot of kiddie games for it ~ This almost certainly assures it will keep going as a budget console way after the new ones are out (In much teh same way the PSone has done) ~ The slimeline PS2 also has this going for them, with the Xbox basically losing out due to it's size and cost.

Due to this fact, it seems no point in M$ coming up with new games for the Xbox, It makes more sense from their point of view to focus on leading the market where the next gen consoles are concerned, and getting a firm hold of the market before Nintendo and Sony enter it.

Once again, Nintendo will no doubt come in late, and wonder why the other two have such a firm grasp of the market.

At least before, Nintendo had the handheld market to fall back on, but Sony has pretty much made sure they won't be able to pull the same trick again, so it's basically all or bust for Nintendo this time ~ They really have to work their socks off if they want to be a serious contender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea...if this is about TGS then who cares? Xbox sells so poorly over in japan. If you ever go to a game store over there XBOX has like 2 feet of shelving for its games while PS2 has like 16 and GC 8 feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If this is true then it will be a new marketing angle. The PSX/PS2 transition was eased onto consumers by the promise that your old PSX games would work on your new PS2 console. Because of both that and the release of the PS1, PSX games continued to get made (as recently as this year, right?).

If companies begin only supporting the Xbox 360, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Xbox market.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

@ Flack, the last American PSOne game was released in Oct of 04. One new Greatest Hits game was released this year however.

Both the Revolution and the PS3 promise backwards support (Rev says gamecube games, PS3 says all PS/PS2 games). On top of that at least in america PSOne games were still made for 3 years after the launch of the PS2. The same will happen with the PS2. Once a new system comes out the fees for publishing drop considerably. I'd think that MS would do that with the XBox to keep it viable, especially considering how much they've sunk into it. If they drop it completely this will be the first time that I can think of since the 83 crash that even though a newer system is out by a company they didnt support the older system at all.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

Bah ... never mind
    Please delete
    Community Manager for Acclaim Games Inc.
    http://www.acclaim.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello... with the new Dell 360 err.. Xbox 360 coming out it should come as no surprise that with the recent releases, we are pretty much seeing the next to last hurrah of games for the system. Publishers will start to trickle out the last of their Xbox 1 games they have been working on but I think that'll be it aside from an occasional straggler.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Japan accounts for $4 billion out of $31 billion dollar industry now and continues to shrink. I don' think Microsoft is too concerned about them much anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Hello... with the new Dell 360 err.. Xbox 360 coming out it should come as no surprise that with the recent releases, we are pretty much seeing the next to last hurrah of games for the system. Publishers will start to trickle out the last of their Xbox 1 games they have been working on but I think that'll be it aside from an occasional straggler.
    That's what I'm saying -- it would be a surprise to me, as I remember PSX games still coming out for a while after the PS2 was released. Maybe that's just my foggy memory though. Stupid beer.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't necessarily see this as a bad thing, their not falling out of the market their just the first to upgrade to next gen. This is their chance to pull ahead in the race.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That Sucks

Microsoft thinks it can drop a system like that and everyone will run out for a 360 and the 360 looks cool but I hate how they think that they can kill it and everyone will upgrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should have made clear that this was on a feature story from gamespot about TGS sorry for that.

While not completely surprised I do agree with Joker T

I was just thinking how pissed I would have been IF I had stayed with the Xbox as my primary current-gen system Im glad I went back to PS2 thats for damn sure

Also no Im not a fanboy like Anthony 1 or PS2Hawk so please dont group me in with those guys

I know I pissed off a lot of Fellow gamers on this board with my comments about the Revo controller but I dont like to make comments just because they are POPULAR nor do I make posts to start flame wars I just post what I think is relevant to our hobby and what I believe to be interesting wether it falls into popular opinion or not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Of course XBox is getting dropped. Microsoft has to pay royalties on each console produced, they've been losing money from the get go. Stop production on the Xbox, lose no more money, concentrate more on the 360. Simple as that.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Microsoft thinks it can drop a system like that and everyone will run out for a 360 and the 360 looks cool but I hate how they think that they can kill it and everyone will upgrade "

When did MS state that? And the Xbox isn't dead yet despite what's being said in this thread.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    Japan accounts for $4 billion out of $31 billion dollar industry now and continues to shrink. I don' think Microsoft is too concerned about them much anymore.
    Where did you get this figure? I can't help but have serious doubts about it, especially considering the impressive numbers of good games that are the exclusive territory of our Nihonjin friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And there's an impressive number of good games from North America and Europe that don't see release in Japan.

Most Japanese titles are released here besides niche products that very few people here would be interested in.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922

Also no Im not a fanboy like Anthony 1

fanboy?

Anthony1?

A freaking fanboy? You must be mad.

I have no bias whatsoever towards any system. Some might say I'm anti-Sony, but I bought a Playstation and Playstation 2 on their respective launch days, and I will be buying a PS3 at midnight of launch. I will admit that I would like to see Sony get pimp slapped by Microsoft or Nintendo, just because they have such a arrogance about dominating the industry for the last 10 years, but I sure as hell won't let that interfere with me playing my PS3 games the second I can.

I could give a rats ass if a system or game is made by some generic unknown company or some powerhouse. I will buy and play whatever is the most poppin shit at any given time, and I could care less who is bringin the noise.

So don't you ever, and I mean ever, mention my name and the F word in the same sentence.

As Donovan McNabb said to T.O. "Get my name out yo mouth"