Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty 2

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Call of Duty 2

I know people on this forum aren't all that into FPS and PC games, but was anyone lucky to download the demo. I really liked it, looks great, and feels great. The controls took me a while to get used to, I kept tapping ctrl to crouch (Damn you Battlefield 2!). I thought the original was better,though that was one of my favorite FPS. Any thoughts?
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The demo was too short but besides that the graphics was orgasmic.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    The demo was too short but besides that the graphics was orgasmic.
    Ya, I agree. I finished the mission, and I thought okay that was cool what's next? I've never seen a demo that short. Made me mad.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a demo, be happy its more then 1 min long. I felt it was too fast paced for my liking.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It definetly had a more arcadish feel. I wish the smoke grenades played a bigger role, I threw one in the path of turret and it hit me twice, I could've just saved the grenade and ran and still have the same health. I was expecting more considering it was 650MB.
    -- General George Patton

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked it alot, and I plan on getting it for the Xbox360 now.
    I game therefore I am.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya, I wonder how it is for the 360. I'm assuming the PC version will be better, but if you don't have a good PC the 360 is probably the way to go. I know the 360 has 32 multiplaye rwhile the PC has double that. Then again, it might be nice to get a really good launch title for the 360 like CoD2. I'll probably be impatient and just get it for the PC.
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the PC verison

main reason I still play Call of Duty is the online multiplayer not to mention I really still am not great with console style FPS controls.

The game looks awesome!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Get the PC verison

main reason I still play Call of Duty is the online multiplayer not to mention I really still am not great with console style FPS controls.

The game looks awesome!
    I believe I said I was getting the PC version. I did download the demo... I don't see why people gripe about console controls, I think it's smooth and intuitive. Not as good as PC, but still good.
    -- General George Patton

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fpstream
    Ya, I wonder how it is for the 360. I'm assuming the PC version will be better, but if you don't have a good PC the 360 is probably the way to go. I know the 360 has 32 multiplaye rwhile the PC has double that. Then again, it might be nice to get a really good launch title for the 360 like CoD2. I'll probably be impatient and just get it for the PC.
    Actually if the leaked boxart for the 360 version is to be believed it supports up to 64 players too.

Source: http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=287 and a million other fanboy sites

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000
    Its a demo, be happy its more then 1 min long. I felt it was too fast paced for my liking.
    So you basically don't like WWII warfare...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played the demo now. Two things came to mind. Firstly, it'll run on my laptop without stuttering and even on lowish graphics it still looks pretty hot.

Secondly, just..wow.

I never played the original (and I don't know if having played the demo of COD2 has just ruined it for me) so I had no idea what to expect. To be honest I was expecting it to be, well, a lot less intense than that. The Medal of Honour beach landing scene barely raised my pulse, so imagine my surpise when I tried this. I loved the way the soldiers all kept talking to each other, in fact, the audio in general was just immense. I loved the sprays of particles everywhere giving things a really chaotic feel.

Suffice to say, I've got to get it when it comes out.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort off topic, but does anybody need a copy of COD 1 from PlayStation 2? I have a couple of copies I need to get rid off...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Actually if the leaked boxart for the 360 version is to be believed it supports up to 64 players too.

Source: http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=287 and a million other fanboy sites
    I don't know if it is going to be 64 player on the XBox. I haven't heard anything about that. And that cover looks a little too similiar to the United Offensive box art for me to actually believe that will be the box art.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    An emotion as such tells you nothing about reality, beyond the fact that something makes you feel something.

-- Ayn Rand, "Philosophical Detection," Philosophy: Who Needs It

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Get the PC verison

The game looks awesome!
    I believe I said I was getting the PC version. I did download the demo... I don't see why people gripe about console controls, I think it's smooth and intuitive. Not as good as PC, but still good.
    I wasn't really saying that YOU should get it for PC, sorry for the mix up. I am decent with console style controls but in a multiplayer enviorment I find that a mouse and keyboard offer more precision. As far as the single player no problem

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya, PC takes the cake control wise. More access, more precise, better reaction time, etc. etc. Just played the demo on hardest difficulty, it's about 2 hits and you're dead. Does anyone know how the health system is going to work? Is it just going to be regular old FPS or something strange like the demo? Did they scratch good ol' number and bar to make it more realistic like Call of the Cthulu (spelling?)?
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it and it rocks. I highly reccomend it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I despised the first game's total lack of friendly AI (they were simply scripted actors that didn't actually do ANYTHING. They didn't shoot other enemies, they didn't help you, they just ran around to add atmosphere) and shit-ass-lazy level design (it's like the developers watched Enemy at the Gates and decided to base a level or two off of the movie, then Band of Brothers and decided to base some levels off of the depicted actions, etc). There were also some extremely painfully mindnumbingly boring missions where shit just respawned for a while and you just sat there and blew shit up. Over and over and over.

Seeing game companies just recreate Hollywood's vision of WWII is so damned annoying (Medal of Honor Spearhead was another blatant Band of Brothers clone. It didn't even TRY to hide it).

Everyone is saying CoD2 addresses most of the issues of the first game, so I may give it a whirl on PC. Doubt I'll check out the console version after the painful experience of playing Finest Hour (which managed to be worse than Breakthrough on the PC!).

Credit where it's due, multiplayer in Call of Duty was the shit. One of these days I'll have to reinstall United Offensive and get playing online again...good fun there

(on a tangent -> Soldier of Fortune 2 is another game that was completely worthless in the single player but had highly enjoyable multiplayer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an experience from playing the Russians that I didn't quite expect since this is a FPS afterall..... I was up in a building firing on the enemy and saw 3 soldiers down on the snowy road out of the corner of my eye. I fired my machine gun at them thinking they were the Germans and killed all 3 of them. BAM a screen pops up and says 'you are a traitor" mission failed. This game is super imersive to the point of not knowing who is where alot of the time and when you are not really paying close attention to detail everyone looks like the enemy! Try this game it's great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks alright from what I saw on TV. Personally most of the war games today are too similar. I'd like to see an updated 1942 series game pop up or have you at some point as a tail gunner in an airplane. Maybe work as a spy or hitman in WW2 and shut down mines, factories, or blowing up bridges or buildings. I still think the original Wolfenstein kills most war games on how you start as a POW and fight to freedom. Now that's an awesome plot.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]