Thread: Xbox hookup through wireless internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox hookup through wireless internet.

I am trying to figure out how to use the Windows ICS to hook up my Xbox to my computer. My computer has a d-link DWL-G122 usb wireless adapter. When I go to my network connections and go to the advanced tab of my wireles connection, I do not see the option to enable internet sharing.

I am also wondering what the cheapest wireless "game adapter" is.

I have an Xbox live account and would like to be able to use it. Please help.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm pretty sure you need the Xbox wireless adapter for this (or the compatible Nyoko). if your xbox is modded, then there's a way to bridge connections to go wireless, but it only works with certain adapters.

for your wireless network, i would just use the wizard.
    </img>
    See my Xbox mods HERE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I'm confused, are you trying to connect it to the PC? or to the internet? You are going to need a serperate adaptor for the xbox to go wireless if just for internet. To talk to another pc it needs to be modded.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's quite easy to share internet connections between your laptop and Xbox, and it works the charm without any mods. However, it may not be an enabled/available option on that connection. Check around in your Window's "master settings" so to speak, to see if there's anything hiding the option.

I personally bought a Wireless G Official Xbox Adapter. It works fine, and once configured on the Xbox, works for all devices with an ethernet port. From my room (2nd floor, location of the modem/Linksys G router) to the basement (location of Xbox, Wireless adapter) I get a varying signal from about 2 MBPS - 18 MBPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a wireless bridge.

I use, love, and recommend the DWL-G810

It doesn't have to say "Xbox Certifiedorzored!" or anything, but it doesn't hurt to have that stamped on the package. If you find an "Offisul Xbocks Prodoricturict" stamp on something that's cheaper than my trusty, loving, and sexy DLink DWL-G810, well by god, go for it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

and if your trying to connect your Xbox through your computer then just Bridge the connection (thats through XP of course). for wireless you need to buy a wireless bridge as was mentioned earler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive tried many things. At first I tried using an Xbox link cable (crossover cable) to hook directly from the back of a computer to the Xbox, and then attempted to enable Windows ICS. This did not work. Now, on my current PC, it does not even give me the option to enable ICS. If I could enable it, could I then hook my computer (as "the internet") to a normal router and hook many devices up to the router via ethernet cables?

What is the Xbox wireless adapter, really? Is it a "wireless bridge"? If so, could I hook any of these devices up to a normal router, and then hook computers/Xboxes up to that?

What is the cheapest "game adapter"/"bridge" thing available? Or the most reccomended. They all seem to be upwards of $100, while my usb wireless adapter was only $20.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    Ive tried many things. At first I tried using an Xbox link cable (crossover cable) to hook directly from the back of a computer to the Xbox, and then attempted to enable Windows ICS. This did not work. Now, on my current PC, it does not even give me the option to enable ICS. If I could enable it, could I then hook my computer (as "the internet") to a normal router and hook many devices up to the router via ethernet cables?

What is the Xbox wireless adapter, really? Is it a "wireless bridge"? If so, could I hook any of these devices up to a normal router, and then hook computers/Xboxes up to that?

What is the cheapest "game adapter"/"bridge" thing available? Or the most reccomended. They all seem to be upwards of $100, while my usb wireless adapter was only $20.
    Ok, I assume your using windows XP? if so you could just run internet connection wizard. From there it should set everything up accordingly. just make sure to check "other computers connect to the internet from this computer" when the question comes up and it should work.

at one point I had both my Xbox's and my PS2 hook up to my computer with no issues. I get more dropped connection issues from my router then I ever did from my PC.

Also 80-100 dollars is the going rate for a wireless bridge. Belive me I've been waiting for those things to go down in price so I can rid of all the wires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    It's quite easy to share internet connections between your laptop and Xbox, and it works the charm without any mods. However, it may not be an enabled/available option on that connection. Check around in your Window's "master settings" so to speak, to see if there's anything hiding the option.
    Can you elaborate on these "master settings"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Also 80-100 dollars is the going rate for a wireless bridge. Belive me I've been waiting for those things to go down in price so I can rid of all the wires.
    NewEgg and Best Buy have Linksys WRT54G routers for like $60 or some such. Grab one of those and have it act like a bridge and have all of your consoles plugged into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you check the info here?

I use this and it works just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    NewEgg and Best Buy have Linksys WRT54G routers for like $60 or some such. Grab one of those and have it act like a bridge and have all of your consoles plugged into it.
    Wow. Im looking into this and it looks like exactly what I need, once I install this supposed "third party firmware". Thanks. I assume computers can be plugged into it as well. Does this router support external antennae as well? Are there any other wireless routers with this capability?

Thanks again.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a linksys WGA54G myself. Works perfectly, and usually runs about $80-100. I've had it about a year now, and setup was a snap. I think it was designed specifically for console use. Only downside is that you can only have one ethernet device at a time connected to it, though I do think it has a USB port as well.

I'd say go with the linksys WRT54G, if it'll let you create a bridge. It should be more flexible, and let you connect multiple devices. The fact that its cheaper should be the deal-closer.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector