Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubsy the Bobcat designer speaks out

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bubsy the Bobcat designer speaks out

I caught this little nostalgic interview with Michael Berlyn - designer of, none other, than Bubsy the Bobcat! I love Bubsy!

Looking back on games of yesteryear feels as fresh and exciting as looking forward to the next-generation scrap does. There is so much we can still learn from these games.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always liked the original Bubsy game...it was one of my first SNES games. I like the animations, the music, the gameplay and his little llines before each level..."Well, it worked for Clint"..."What could possibly go wrong?"...

The follow-ups weren't as good...one or two were downright awful...but I'll still pull the original out to play from time to time.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

"I kind of got tired of adventure this and adventure that," he said. "I saw this game called Sonic the Hedgehog and said to myself, 'Oh, I can really get into this, I can really see something.'

Hahahaha, quote of the century. And thus what happens when an author, only useful for text adventures, realizes that his job is dying and moves in fields he has no place in. Why, oh why, couldn't he have become a script writer or some such if he was intent on remaining in the industry?

And then:

"They had put out Bubsy 2," he said, "and just about killed the franchise. So we came on-board and did Bubsy 3D."

As if Bubsy 3D was going to save it!

"On its own, the game may have had its chance with early 3D adopters..."

Uh... no. In any place, in any time, a turd is a turd. There could've been no other 3D game in existence, and Bubsy 3D would STILL be HORRIBLE. If that was the first 3D game I ever played, I'd probably never play anything but 2D.

"I will say this as nicely and tactfully as I can: I did not like what the game business had become, the people who were driving it, or the nature of the product."

I could say the same, and it's because of him. ;)

I apologize for the ranting, but Bubsy 3D is one of the few games that truly makes me blood boil, and not just when I'm playing it. If I could, I'd sue the guy for emotional distress. :P Bubsy 3D is so fucked up and the world is so demented (when it's trying to be cutesy) that it left me in a strange depressed funk for a couple days, I kid you not. I was seeing Bubsy 3D in my head, and I couldn't even sleep well. It seriously traumatized me in a small way. o_O I'm angered that Michael Berlyn doesn't even feel the slightest bit ashamed for Bubsy 3D, it seems. I sure as hell would be if it was my creation and people not only wasted their hard earned cash on it but also felt literally bad from playing it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Uh... no. In any place, in any time, a turd is a turd. There could've been no other 3D game in existence, and Bubsy 3D would STILL be HORRIBLE. If that was the first 3D game I ever played, I'd probably never play anything but 2D.
    You know... it pains me to say this... but I have somewhat fond memories of Bubsy 3D. It doesn't compare to most platformers, granted, but I found it pretty enjoyable. I just like Bubsy, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the original Bubsy on SNES and thought it was a good game but Bubsy 3-D was really a bad game not the worst ive ever played mind you but a bad game.

I remember it gave me this freaky fealing when I played it and I really didnt want to ever even look at that game again it was like playing someones warped nightmare of someones fuzzie fetish or something

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bubsy. That must be the most frustrating game ever made.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    "On its own, the game may have had its chance with early 3D adopters..."
    I was being nice when I wrote that. I don't honestly believe it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Busy 3d was before the dual shock and the d-pad just made it terrible, its not the worst game i have played but it wasnt a game i liked ither.
    NES HERO
    Collection
    NES,SNES,N64,GCN,PSone,PS2,Atari 2600 Jr,GBP,GBC,SMS I and II,C64,Commodore 64,DVD.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First Bubsy was awesome, and I'll always love that game. One of my fav. platformers of all time. The other ones.... ugh.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so who did Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales for the Jag? He never even mentioned that one.

I've never played Bubsy 3D, but I've played all the others, and I like them. Bubsy is cool.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    OK, so who did Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales for the Jag? He never even mentioned that one.
    He didn't mention it in our actual interview either, and I didn't bother bringing it up because it just isn't important.

Incidentally, if memory serves, Bubsy 2 was designed by Brian Silva, whose voice can be heard on the Hydro Thunder title screen. "Hydroooooooooooo THUN-der! Choose your BOAT! Choose your TRACK!"

I'm glad this thread exists, I've been doing "Playing Catch-Up" every week for a long time now and I've NEVER gotten any feedback. Do you guys have any suggestions for other people to track down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have very fond memories of the first Bubsy. It was one of the first games I got for my SNES. I remember I was really impressed by all the speech the game had...even though I'm sure there were other games at the time I never played that had just as much, if not more speech. I remember renting Bubsy II when it first came out...and I didn't like it that much. I haven't played it since (more then 10 years), so I kinda forget why I didn't like it. Never played Bubsy 3D...and it sounds like that was a good thing.

Kind of funny Bubsy was brought up. This girl who was in my class during elementry school and used to be good friends with my sister...was obsessed with the first Bubsy. Everytime she'd come over to hang out with my sister...she'd want to come in my room to play Bubsy. Well...I hadn't seen her in over 10 years, and just yesterday she got hired at where I work. When I told her I was still into video games...guess what game she immediatley asked me if I still had after all these years?

BTW...wasn't there a 2D Bubsy on the Atari Jaquar?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    I'm glad this thread exists, I've been doing "Playing Catch-Up" every week for a long time now and I've NEVER gotten any feedback.
    You write that column?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    I'm glad this thread exists, I've been doing "Playing Catch-Up" every week for a long time now and I've NEVER gotten any feedback.
    You write that column?
    Yes! Every Monday. I also do "Media Consumption" on Thursdays.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet! I've only read the odd one, but I do enjoy them. What are your forthcoming plans for the column? Any juicy interviews in the pipeline?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Bubsy was cool.

Havent played the psx one yet though.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sweet! I've only read the odd one, but I do enjoy them. What are your forthcoming plans for the column? Any juicy interviews in the pipeline?
    I pretty much panic and do these three days before they're due under heavy stress (I don't have anyone for Thursday's Media Consumption, any of you guys happen to make games???), so no, nothing in the pipeline. I might do Trip Hawkins soon, and I'd love to find the Two Guys From Andromeda (designers of the Space Quest series). If I somehow get un-lazy, I'm thinking of doing an expanded, special edition of Playing Catch-Up with the entire team behind The Secret of Monkey Island, since this month marks its 15th anniversary.

This Insert Credit news post lists most of the ones I've done, I think there's something for everybody in here:

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000610.html

Tim Schafer's is pretty awesome. And Jenny Ryu's Media Consumption is exactly how you'd expect someone at EA to respond: she listens only to Enya, doesn't watch movies, reads only business-related books, and DOESN'T PLAY VIDEOGAMES. Al Lowe's is probably my favorite, since it was my first, and I actually put effort into it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

God, I'm getting all nostalgic for that Al Lowe piece now, and it's only like three months old. I actually did a phone interview with him while I happened to be at Comic-Con International. So here I was, a mere two days after quitting my full-time office job and becoming a starving freelancer, sitting on an outside terrace talking to the guy who made Leisure Suit Larry on my cell phone while people dressed as storm troopers pranced around. Surreal isn't quite the word for it. He was an amazingly funny guy, too, and he said all these truly terrible things about Magna cum Laude that he refused to let me publish. Then that night I went back to the hotel room, climbed up the fire escape, and typed up that article from the hotel's roof, since it was the only place I could get a wireless signal.

Now THAT is journalism. I wish every day was more like that, instead of moving back into my mom's house because I'm poor and reviewing licensed GBA games for a UK magazine nobody I know ever reads.

God, I'm whiny today.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I somehow get un-lazy, I'm thinking of doing an expanded, special edition of Playing Catch-Up with the entire team behind The Secret of Monkey Island, since this month marks its 15th anniversary.
    I'd pay to read that! Do you accept a combination of mini cheddars and elastic bands? Seriously... Everybody, at some time, in some way, should pay homage to Ron and the boys. Do it. Maybe you'll crack Ron, and he'll confess the secret...

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000610.html
    Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check those out!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd pay to read that! Do you accept a combination of mini cheddars and elastic bands? Seriously... Everybody, at some time, in some way, should pay homage to Ron and the boys. Do it. Maybe you'll crack Ron, and he'll confess the secret...
    I already have a bit of a correspondence with Ron, we're going out for beer next time he's in Vegas. Combinations of beer and Vegas tend to bring out secrets!