Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72pin switcharoo - is it possible?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 72pin switcharoo - is it possible?

I was sitting here looking at my working Yobo and my busted toaster thinking. Would it be possible to take the 72pin connector out of a clone system (or find a place to order one) and solder it into a toaster NES? Maybe mod the case so the cart comes out the top?

Even putting a new 72 pin in the toaster gives the same issues after awhile, so I figured if you could combine the super reliability of a clone toploader with the compatilbility of a toaster, you'd have the best of both worlds. Has it been done/attempted before?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have seen a mod where somebody used the connector from their Game Genie to replace the 72-pin connector in the NES. The NES's connector is U-shaped, but the toploaders and Game Genie connector is straight. Hence his mod required cutting a cart shaped hole in the back of his NES, as that is the direction the Game Genie connector pointed once installed.

It should be noted that with proper care, you can keep an original toaster's 72-pin connector working, without replacement. I use 99.99% isopropyl alcohol to clean all of my games and I use Stabilant 22 to help keep them in good condition and to improve conductivity between the cart and the 72-pin connector. My toaster is still hooked up to my TV (currently playing Zelda 2), and it is still using its first 72-pin connector.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a lot of NES, even that won't help. Everyone seems to want to ascribe the problem to one cause, such as pin fatigue, or corrosion, or dirt, etc etc....

It's really a combination of all of those factors, so there is no real 100% solution to bad NES connectors.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my toaster was working but the cheap ebay connector I bought had to keep being bent back every month (eventually leading to a pin breaking off). I figured that a more permanent option would be to find a cheap clone online and do some creative surgery. I didn't realize there was a connector built in to the Game Genie - that might make it even easier.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was thinking the same thing with my N64 (i like to plan ahead on problems that i might have) you can try the thing with a Game Genie with your NES if you do post pics

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n8littlefield
    I didn't realize there was a connector built in to the Game Genie - that might make it even easier.
    It would be interesting to see a NES Game Genie that could work without having a connector :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would like to see that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The original NESp project used a Game Genie as a direct cartridge connector between an NES mainboard and the cartridges...

http://www.classicgaming.com/nestable/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The original NESp project used a Game Genie as a direct cartridge connector between an NES mainboard and the cartridges...

http://www.classicgaming.com/nestable/
    Thanks for the link, they actually have an alternate place to buy just the connector for like 3 bucks! I think I have a winter project once my next paycheck comes in (I need solder, wire, etc).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

A bit late to this party but i desoldered the connector off the game genie and directly soldered it onto the nintendo. It works beautifuly. Soldering all those pins is a real PITA though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How did you end up modding the case? I found a source for 72 pin connectors like the one built into the Game Genie, but now I'm trying to figure out how to configure everything internally.

Do you have the games going into the back of the system?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

acutally im trying to mod the system to fit into an old computer case (along with an snes and genesis and maybe atari). You can possibly mod it to come out the back or threw the front. Saw a guy who did that once. Didn't much care for either look.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you take a standard 72 pin connector and shave the sides off so the ZIF end fits onto the motherboard, you can use the snug end for games. Has been 100 percent reliable for me for years since I've done that. I think I had to stick 2 dimes underneath the connector to prop the ZIF up to make contact, but it has never failed me.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just get a top-loader pin connector linked from NESp's site, and then solder individual wires to each pin on the board side of the connector. Then solder the other end of the wire to the board. That way the connector can face the correct direction. All that is left is to somehow fasten the connector in place, facing towards the toaster's opening. Then you have the only benefit of a top-loader, that is a more reliable pin connector, and you also get all of the benefits of a toaster: better video quality, a better looking console, etc.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Why not just get a top-loader pin connector linked from NESp's site, and then solder individual wires to each pin on the board side of the connector. Then solder the other end of the wire to the board. That way the connector can face the correct direction. All that is left is to somehow fasten the connector in place, facing towards the toaster's opening. Then you have the only benefit of a top-loader, that is a more reliable pin connector, and you also get all of the benefits of a toaster: better video quality, a better looking console, etc.
    whats his website? ive never heard of that connector before...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's exactly what I'm planning on now. The 72pin from nesp's site is 3 bucks, plus 5 bucks handling, plus shipping, so probably about 10-12 bucks total. I'm ordering it soon.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelnut
    Here is a direct link. The NESp site was linked earlier in the thread, but not directly to the part info:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/nestable/connector.shtml

Does anybody have any good ideas as to how to mount such a connector in the toaster NES, once individual wires have been soldered from the connector to the NES motherboard? Maybe superglue it to the spring loaded toaster tray? It would be nice to mod it in such a way that didn't involve cutting through the NES case, yet used the top-loader-style connector, as it grips carts better.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelnut
    Here is a direct link. The NESp site was linked earlier in the thread, but not directly to the part info:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/nestable/connector.shtml

Does anybody have any good ideas as to how to mount such a connector in the toaster NES, once individual wires have been soldered from the connector to the NES motherboard? Maybe superglue it to the spring loaded toaster tray? It would be nice to mod it in such a way that didn't involve cutting through the NES case, yet used the top-loader-style connector, as it grips carts better.
    They have industrial strenght velcro (it can hold a computer up to a wall). or just super glue it onto the top with a correct spacer. Maybe even take a peice of metal and make a bracket out of it that can go inbetween the support posts on the back.

Damnit now i got a lot of ideas. Looks like im buyin some stuff from him :P

anyone know where i can get a connector like that for a snes and a genesis and atari 2600 and n64?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm HOPING to mount it right at the front of the system, and then seeing if I can get the cartridge door to open the opposite of the normal way, so you would have it open down, like a mailbox, that way the cartridge could go in the normal place, just upright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

What's going on here, Jagasian and squirrelnut playing pass the buck here or something?

Everything mentioned in their posts concerning the connector replacement at the NESp site (from Newark In-One I'm guessing) was already mentioned by me and elaborated on by n8littlefield. I mean, there was one point where your side conversation kinda just rolled over things that n8littlefield was telling you.

As for repositioning the new connector to face the original toaster NES case opening you could always use a couple old IDE cables to give you the opportunity to place the cartridge input at any angle you want. That's how Ben Heck did it for a long time.