Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Developer Obscura Vol. 1: Pony Canyon & Friends

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRV
    2) I'm wondering if Opera House is indeed Miki & Fujiwara Production. Looking at the Break Time (NES) credits again, the project manager is from Pony Canyon and everyone else seems to be from Miki & Fujiwara.
    The only game by Miki & Fujiwara Production I know of is Ultima Exodus (MSX), and I find no correlation at all.
    Takeshi 'Honami' Yasuda did music on Ultima 1 (MSX), though.

I do however find some correlation with Super Runner (MSX), though it seems to be Pony personnel.

Have you looked at other ports of Ultima than NES and Famicom?

3) I was looking at the Double Hawk (SMS) credits again, too. Nannorio and Noboru Machida (Noborunrun) are there as planner and director respectively. But the rest of the credits I have not seen in another Sanritsu/SIMS game. But look at the programmers. Fujichan and Mikisama. Could it be Hiroyuki Fujiwara and Satoru Miki? Could Sanritsu have outsourced the game to Miki & Fujiwara Production/Opera House/whatever it is?
    I am quite convinced. I think I'll submit that to Mobygames.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by idrougge
    The only game by Miki & Fujiwara Production I know of is Ultima Exodus (MSX), and I find no correlation at all.
    Well, besides Yasuda and Arimoto, everybody seems to be from the same developer. Just take a look at these credits. I've put an asterix next to everyone I've associated with Miki & Fujiwara/Opera House/whatever.

http://gdri.smspower.org/iscocredits.txt

It would seem Hitoshi Sakimoto was contracted to them as well.

My current theory: Miki & Fujiwara Production started out as a two-man operation. When it grew, it became Opera House.

We have looked at some of the MSX ones, haven't we?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, besides Yasuda and Arimoto, everybody seems to be from the same developer. Just take a look at these credits. I've put an asterix next to everyone I've associated with Miki & Fujiwara/Opera House/whatever.

http://gdri.smspower.org/iscocredits.txt
    Oh, I thought that you meant games that actually credited M&F Pro. I haven't come around to reconstructing such a company. I have just thought of it as ISCO calling up freelancers whenever it needed a game.

As for ISCO, it seems that there are some credits in Classic Road 2, but I haven't seen them. Have you?

It would seem Hitoshi Sakimoto was contracted to them as well.
    Musicians are often freelancers since they want to retain rights to their own compositions.

My current theory: Miki & Fujiwara Production started out as a two-man operation. When it grew, it became Opera House.
    Have you found any references to Opera House outside of Breaktime?

We have looked at some of the MSX ones, haven't we?
    Sorry, I meant MSX and NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I thought that you meant games that actually credited M&F Pro. I haven't come around to reconstructing such a company. I have just thought of it as ISCO calling up freelancers whenever it needed a game.
    Interesting that these "freelancers" also worked on Pony Canyon games together.

As for ISCO, it seems that there are some credits in Classic Road 2, but I haven't seen them. Have you?
    I have a program installed called "NJWIN - NJStar CJK Viewer," which lets me view Japanese characters. It was in either the Classic Road or Classic Road II ROM where I saw "YMOH.S." But I couldn't copy and paste anything useful, just garbage as usual.

Musicians are often freelancers since they want to retain rights to their own compositions.
    I know Sakimoto was a freelancer, but he seemed to have a contract with "this group."

Have you found any references to Opera House outside of Breaktime?
    No, not yet. But I can't point out anybody in the Break Time credits who doesn't appear to be with "this group" or Pony Canyon. With FC Ultima IV, produced by Newtopia, I can point to the producer Yasuo Hattori and say, "Hey, he's from Newtopia."

Sorry, I meant MSX and NES.
    There were those PC-98 ports that were apparently by JH1NRR and company.

NOTE: I've added GB Bubble Ghost to iscocredits.txt

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a program installed called "NJWIN - NJStar CJK Viewer," which lets me view Japanese characters. It was in either the Classic Road or Classic Road II ROM where I saw "YMOH.S." But I couldn't copy and paste anything useful, just garbage as usual.
    Oh my god! I had never though that they would put SJIS straight into a SNES ROM!

Here's what I found:
    Code:
    Classic road II (SNES):
    -----------------------
    STAFF
    The Original Plan
    ????? (Yoshihiro Hanaoka)
    The Original Game
    ????????? (Progress co., Ltd.)
    Programmer
    ???? (Satoru Miki)
    Chief Graphic Designer
    ????? (Hiroshi Akagi)
    Composer
    ????? (Hayato Matsuo)
    Sound Designer
    ?????? (Hitoshi Sakimoto)
    Game Designer
    ????? (Masaaki Furuya)
    Blood Data
    ???? (??? ???)
    ???? (Katsu/Masaru/Suguru Satou)
    Graphic Supporter
    ????? (Atsuhiro Gunji)
    ????? (Kunihiko Nishikimi/Nishimi)
    ???? (Project leader/supervisor)
    ????? (Shigeki Saka)
    ????? (Hiroaki Iwano)
    Test Player
    ????? (Akinori Aika/Ouka/Ouga)
    ????? (Masato Ishii)
    Special Thanks
    ???? (Noboru Matsuzaki)
    ????? (Junko Watanabe)
    Dialect Adviser
    ????? (Shuusaburou Matsuoka)
    Director
    ????? (Hiroyuki/Hiroshi Furui)
    Code:
    Classic road (SNES):
    --------------------
    Original idea: Progress co., Ltd.
    Original work: Yoshihiro Hanaoka
    Director: Hiroshi/Hiroyuki Yasui
    Assistant director: Tetsuya Shinotsuka/Shinozuka
    Program: Satoru Miki
    Graphic design: Hiroshi Akagi, Yasuaki Mizutani, Atsuhiro Gunji, Kiyoto/Seijin/Sumito Yoshimura
    Graphic support: Kunihiko Nishikimi/Nishimi, Tomohiro Ueno
    Sound design: YMOH.S, Hayato Matsuo
    Sound support: Tsukasa Tawada
    Project manager/supervisor: Shigeki Saka, Hiroaki Iwano, Hidetoshi Uchida
    Special Thanks: Yoshiaki Iwasawa, Kouki Minami, Shunji/Toshiyuki Nishizawa, Kaku Maetani, Masumi/Makoto/Tadashi/Atsushi Morio, ??? Oozeki, Katsu/Masaru/Suguru Satou, Sadahiro Harada (Three of these worked with marketing for Victor/JVC around the same time)
    Game design: Masaaki Furuya
    Supervisor: Tsutomu/Osamu/Atsushi Okabe
    Draw your own conclusions, I'm going to bed now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my god! I had never though that they would put SJIS straight into a SNES ROM!

Here's what I found:
    Good work. Here we see Furuya, Miki, Gunji, and Akagi together again.

Not sure who or what Progress Co., Ltd. is, though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked Kyûyaku Megamitensei today:

Code:
    Kyûyaku Megamitensei (SNES):
    ----------------------------
    General Producer
    H.YOKOYAMA
    Producer
    Y.NIINO
    Chief Director
    T.KAI
    Co-director
    M.TAKAHASHI
    Character Design
    K.KANEKO
    SoundComposition
    MACCO
    TITLEIllustration
    NORIMASA MATSUSHITA
    Main Programer
    YOUDERNG
    Main Programer
    Y.TAKASHIBA
    Visual Programer
    C.TOKUHIRO
    Programer
    H.FUJIWARA, S.MIKI
    Scenario Plan
    M.FURUYA
    Scenario Plan
    J.WATANABE
    Chief Designer
    K.YOSHIMURA
    Designer
    A.GUNJI, H.AKAGI
    Designer
    Y.MIZUTANI, S.SATO
    Designer
    T.IWASAKI, M.IKENAGA
    Sound Composer
    YMOH.S
    ImageIllustration
    R.TOBE
    Marketing
    S.AIHARA, M.IDEN, T.KOMATSU, F.ISHII
    Marketing
    N.KAWAI, K.YAMAMOTO, T.HANYA, S.MINOWA
    Thanks to
    Y.ASADA (NAMCO Ltd.), Y.TSUYUKI (NAMCO Ltd.)
    Thanks to
    K.OKADA, H.IWANO, Y.KOJIMA, T.MARUYAMA
    Thanks to
    E.SHIOTA, Y.EBIHARA, K.HISADA, T.TAMURA
    Special Thanks to NAMCO Ltd.
    Presented by ATLUS Ltd.
    Several familiar names there.

Checking Super Hockey '94/Super Ice Hockey brings up all the usual suspects:

Code:
    Super ice hockey (SNES):
    ------------------------
      SUPER ICE HOCKEY STAFF
      EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
       S.YONEZAWA
      GENERAL PRODUCER
       S.AKUTSU
      PRODUCER
       T.FUJIOKA   (FROM ESPAL)
      PLANNER
       H.OHARA
      PROGRAM
       NEKO, S.MIKI, H.FUJIWARA, Y.OGASAWARA
      GRAPHIC
       A.GUNJI, CAP, Y.MIZUTANI, N.ISHIGAMI
      MUSIC
       YMOH.S, H.MATSUO
      DIRECTOR
       S.SAKA
      ASISTANT DIRECTOR
       H.IWANO, H.UCHIDA
      ART DIRECTION
       K.OBI (FROM ESPAL)
      THANKS FOR
       H.SHIMIZU, MR.CHAWAN-YA & MR.FUJIKAWA (FROM JET THUNDERBIRDS), MR.MIYAKE (FROM LE BAL), SHIGERU.O
    I also ran a check on Numbers Paradise. The game text was readable half-width kana, but no trace of any credits, bar that MOMOI TOSHIHIKO reference in plain ASCII.

Do you know where to find that quiz game they did for the SFC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you know where to find that quiz game they did for the SFC?
    Shijou Saikyou no Quiz Ou Kettei Sen Super?

Found it at ROM World fairly easily.

Thanks again for the credits.

More ISCO stuff here:
    http://vgrebirth.org/games/search.asp?developers=1444

We've learned that ISCO didn't really seem to develop anything, but there are some games where they apparently just did graphics and movie work. Did they do any of that in-house or did they outsource that, too?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have any proof that the company behind all of said games is Micronics other than the Raiden Trad screenshot?
    Y helo thar.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dart
    Do you have any proof that the company behind all of said games is Micronics other than the Raiden Trad screenshot?
    Bloody Warriors and Mottomo Abunai Deka also say Micronics on their title screens, plus there's shared credits, and common sound effects (pause tone) and coding issues (jerky scrolling, sprite tearing, music desyncing).

That said, I'm not entirely convinced that Athena or Ikari II were done by them. Most of the others are all but definite, though, in my opinion.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HYPER THREAD BUMP

I was talking with crv last night and ended doing some tracing and searches on the sound code used in these games. The results were that we can more-or-less confirm that all of these games were done by the same company:

'89 Dennou Kyuusei Uranai
    Athena
    Bloody Warriors
    Daiku no Gensan 2
    Ikari Warriors
    Ikari Warriors II
    Jongbou
    Kaguya Hime Densetsu
    Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3
    Miracle Ropit's Adventure in 2100
    Mottomo Abunai Deka
    Ninja Kun Ashura no Shou
    Outlanders
    Shin Satomi Hakken-Den
    Stick Hunter
    Thundercade
    Tiger-Heli
    Twin Cobra
    Zoids
    Zoids 2

Every one of these games uses one of a handful of variations of the same sound code. Notice this confirms several argued games (Daiku no Gensan 2, Miracle Ropit, Ikari II, Ninja Kun) as well as adding several new ones (mostly RPGs). I haven't had a chance to delve into any of their earlier games yet, though...

Additionally, I've been able to confirm that Commando was done in-house at Capcom, as it shares sound code with *takes deep breath*: 1943, Bionic Commando, Destiny of an Emperor, Gun.Smoke, Higemaru Makaijima, Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong, Legendary Wings, Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Pro Yakyuu Satsujin Jiken, Section Z, Strider, Trojan, and Willow.

I've yet to find anything meaningful in Elevator Action, Ghosts 'n Goblins, or Onyanko Town yet, but that's simply because they use a (surprisingly more efficient) sound driver that's harder to track.

Efforts to find any SNES games they've done other than Raiden Trad and Acrobat Mission have thus far proven futile. I also like the suggestion that they did MD Atomic Robo Kid, but there's probably no possible way of confirming that one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    I was talking with crv last night and ended doing some tracing and searches on the sound code used in these games. The results were that we can more-or-less confirm that all of these games were done by the same company:
    I would be more conservative and say that the sound routine is made by the same people.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be more conservative and say that the sound routine is made by the same people.
    Fair enough. Still, the fact is that basically all that popped up were games that either were already known or believed to be by Micronics, or games that look and feel like their work. Of course, then one could argue that only similarly talentless companies used this sound system...

Unlike with later hardware, also, it seems that each developer came up with their own sound routines on the NES. There doesn't seem to be anything like SMPS or GEMS on the Genesis, or something like MusyX for a more modern equivalent. Capcom had their own sound routines, Konami did, Nintendo did (probably quite a few different, actually), Aicom did, etc...it seems to me like a perfectly viable way to find potential who-done-what candidates. Not much outside of code analysis can be done in these cases where credits are largely nonexistant, short of tracking down the people who actually made them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair enough. Still, the fact is that basically all that popped up were games that either were already known or believed to be by Micronics, or games that look and feel like their work. Of course, then one could argue that only similarly talentless companies used this sound system...
    Of course if fortifies the thesis that one developer was behind it.

Unlike with later hardware, also, it seems that each developer came up with their own sound routines on the NES. There doesn't seem to be anything like SMPS or GEMS on the Genesis, or something like MusyX for a more modern equivalent. Capcom had their own sound routines, Konami did, Nintendo did (probably quite a few different, actually), Aicom did, etc...it seems to me like a perfectly viable way to find potential who-done-what candidates. Not much outside of code analysis can be done in these cases where credits are largely nonexistant, short of tracking down the people who actually made them.
    On the other hand, wouldn't Yuzo Koshiro have used the same sound driver while working for different companies, even though his driver had become the standard one at Falcom?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the other hand, wouldn't Yuzo Koshiro have used the same sound driver while working for different companies, even though his driver had become the standard one at Falcom?
    I can't speak for his earlier work but I can say that on the MD this really wasn't the case for him specifically.

Revenge of Shinobi uses a standard Sega system (pre-SMPS).
    Streets of Rage uses a modified version of SMPS.
    Streets of Rage 2 uses a completely custom system.
    Streets of Rage 3 and Beyond Oasis (both of which credit Ancient) use a system developed at Ancient.
    I'm not sure what Slap Fight MD uses as it didn't run in MESS when I tried it. It's possibly the same as SoR2.

Every game developed by Konami uses one of three engines used only in Konami games. Every Tecnosoft game uses the same engine. Every Koei game uses the same engine. Every Micronet game uses the same engine.

Conversely, all four games Jesper Kyd scored used the same engine even though they had different publishers and developers. Same with Brian Schmidt (though many credit Visual Concepts). Same with Matt Furniss (Krysalis).

I'm...not really sure where I'm going with this. Still, many third-party companies had their own sound engines used company-wide. Licensed, wide-use sound engines (GEMS springs to mind) tend to be identifiable by being used in a wide range of games by different developers.

...man, am I typing a lot today.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Conversely, all four games Jesper Kyd scored used the same engine even though they had different publishers and developers. Same with Brian Schmidt (though many credit Visual Concepts). Same with Matt Furniss (Krysalis).
    In Matt Furniss's case, most games will say "Sound by Krisalis" or something similar. He worked together with Shaun Hollingworth (both working at Krisalis), who wrote the sound drivers. Apparently there was a lack of competence in writing good sound drivers for the Megadrive in the industry, if you look at how much work Krisalis got.

Interesting about Koshiro, I didn't know that he would use a Sega routine.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Additionally, I've been able to confirm that Commando was done in-house at Capcom, as it shares sound code with *takes deep breath*: 1943, Bionic Commando, Destiny of an Emperor, Gun.Smoke, Higemaru Makaijima, Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong, Legendary Wings, Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Pro Yakyuu Satsujin Jiken, Section Z, Strider, Trojan, and Willow.

I've yet to find anything meaningful in Elevator Action, Ghosts 'n Goblins, or Onyanko Town yet, but that's simply because they use a (surprisingly more efficient) sound driver that's harder to track.
    I guess I'm not surprised that Commando was developed in-house at Capcom, but one game missing from this list is 1942. Did you guys check that one? Not that it's terribly important, or that there's really any question whether or not Micronics produced it (listen to the pause tone-I think that's fairly convincing evidence), but I'm just curious.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I guess I'm not surprised that Commando was developed in-house at Capcom, but one game missing from this list is 1942. Did you guys check that one? Not that it's terribly important, or that there's really any question whether or not Micronics produced it (listen to the pause tone-I think that's fairly convincing evidence), but I'm just curious.
    Yeah, I found a few more snippets of code (init and sprite routines -- not sound stuff) that linked virtually every game in my list above as well as 1942, Elevator Action, Exed Exes, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Onyanko Town, and Son Son. I think at this point we've found probably all of the games they made on the NES. I'll just c/p from IRC as that's easier...

[Dimitri] Anyway, I found init code shared between 1942, Elevator Action, Exed Exes, Onyanko Town, and Son Son.
    [Dimitri] And I just found another bit of code that's shared between a bunch of games.
    [Dimitri] code shared: 1942, '89 Dennou Kyuusei Uranai, Elevator Action, Exed Exes, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ikari Warriors, Jongbou, Miracle Ropit, Mottomo Abunai Deka, Ninja Hattori Kun, Ninja Kun Ashura no Shou, Outlanders, Son Son, Stick Hunter, Super Pitfall, Tiger-Heli, Twin Cobra, Zoids
    [Dimitri] And this is in-game code.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

And to think I always blamed Capcom for those abortions. Well, Trojan is still their fault, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://review-site.net/developer/xo.html#オペラハウス

Seems I may be right about Miki/Fujiwara. The company is Opera House. The list at SIT Developer Table is a rather odd one, being mostly PS2 games, but the last game on the list is Classic Road for the Super Famicom.