Thread: New GameStop: Need Tips

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default New GameStop: Need Tips

So after years of want, finally my little Utahian town gets a video game store, a GameStop. Not the best there is, but beggars can't be choosers.

My friend has acquired position as manager of this particular 'Stop and wishes for me to work there. I'm a bit on the fence about the subject, really. On the one hand, it would be cool to work in a game store with the perks that entitles and BS with my friends and customers. But the minimum wage ($5.15/hour) pay, angry/misinformed customers, and the chronicles of Gord have me wary.

Money is not really the issue. I make good wages writing articles for a technology Web site. So thus the questions are, "Should I go for it, and what should I be aware of?" and "What shouldn't and should my friend do as manager given that he has almost complete reign over the store?"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you go for it, be aware that the company doesn't care about you, or your knowledge of games. You'll only be there to encourage upsells to the customer. If you don't meet their weekly sales goals, then you're out of a job since you're 'easily replaceable'. You most likely won't see a raise over minimum wage, and the 'perks' that were once a part of working at the stores are practically gone. Also, keep in mind that working with a friend, especially with a friend in a management position, can really make things rough when the going gets tough(both on and off the clock). I can tell you that from experience.

I'd tread with caution if I were you.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default not worth it

not worth it if you ask me. By accepting the job, you are saying, "I dont want to be valued as a human being". Gamestop relies on people to just throw themselves to the job for mere pennies. I worked at a game store for over a year and a half. I also was an assistant manager at Gamestop. Dont do it. It is not worth the mere scrap freebies they throw at you.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

What are you waiting for?? These are the coolest jobs ever. If there was a Gamestop opening up in my town I think I would be the first one to apply there. Yeah Gamestop wont care about you and the games, but still, you should atleast give er a try!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends on the store. I used to be an assistant manager at one. Only holiday help was paid at minimum wage though, most everyone else (not in a managementish position) got paid around $6.00 I believe. It's really up to the district manager as to how much everyone gets paid. There can be some great times working at a game store if you and your co-workers love videogames.

That being said, I had to deal with a LOT of shit. My manager knew nothing, and I and the rest of the staff were always cleaning up behind her. Complaints going further and further up the food chain did nothing. I was seriously underpaid for what I did as were most of the "good" employees. And they do really only care about reserves, subscriptions, and used sales. SCREW CUSTOMER SERIVICE seemed to be their motto.

You'll also have to deal with a lot of ignorant and stupid people. People will come in asking for titles that don't exist, and be obnoxious in general. There are those great customers too... but for the most part, be prepared for unpleasant experiences with people.

Finally, working with a friend is NEVER a good idea. It can really hurt your frienship, especially if you're in different "ranks".

So there are good times to be had as well as bad ones. It's like any other job really. Just don't expect a utopia.

I hope that helps some.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Christ, minimum wage is $5.15? That's about £2.90. Minimum wage here is around £4.85 I think, but then things cost more here.

I'm not sure if I'd take that job. Mainly because of the pay, and working for a friend. I recently had a job interview with Gamestation but they haven't got back to me over a week later, so I don't think I got the job.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say if its like EB and people bring in games to sell, go fo it. you Can scam people and customers. Cause you screw the people that bring in the games to sell to gamestop, by offering them peanuts. And you screw the customers by buying all the good games before they can. its the only way to find good games.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the manager is someone you know and trust, I'd say go for it. The company may be a corporate machine, but that doesn't mean it's the horrible experience that everyone seems to think it is. My only other warning is that you'll need to be prepared to work at any time...their scheduling is pretty crappy in that regard.

Bottom line - go for it. You don't really have anything to lose.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

really, all jobs that are major chains treat the lowest people in the compaany likes cogs, thats a given. i say give it a shot, its extra money on the side, you can get discounts on games (15% employee discount) and if someone comes in with stuff gs doesnt buy back (lets say genesis stuff) you have the golden opportunity to buy it from them for your own collection.

it is a customer service job so be wary, if you can't throw on a fake smile when dealing with douches, dont do it. other wise give it a chance.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel
    you can get discounts on games (15% employee discount) and if someone comes in with stuff gs doesnt buy back (lets say genesis stuff) you have the golden opportunity to buy it from them for your own collection.
    Actually, the discount is really, really nice, and if you're working there you can get your hands on some really great condition used items. (I've seen plenty of mint rarer PSX stuff come in)

As for buying stuff that the store doesn't take in DON'T. Sure, get their number or something, but DO NOT HAVE THE TRANSACTION IN (or around) THE STORE. It is an immediately fireable offense if anyone higher up finds out. It happened to a good friend of mine.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to, I'd say go for it. The customer-service world is _always_ an interesting place to work in, and you'll see a lot of crappy people wether you work at GameStop, or somewhere else like Chuck E Cheese or an amusement park. I've worked at both of those, and saw more than my fair share of stupid people. But I look back on them fondly because of the good people that I saw there, not the ones that made the job difficult (I got to see a father start beating his son because his son was too short to ride a roller coaster that they had waited in line for an hour to ride. Trust me -- you won't see that at Gamestop.)

Having said that, it really depends on if you think the store's atmosphere is worthwhile. I love one of the local EBs and stop there often just to shoot the shit with the employees and pick up games. All of the stupid EB Rules that I hear about they ignore or mention in a passing, non-threatening way. There used to be a GameStop in town like that too -- one that I liked so much that I ended up in it with my Jaguar shortly after the PS2 launched showing Tempest 2000 to the manager, who let all of his employees come take a stab at it. We had a long conversation about Tempest X3 one day, and he asked about the Jaguar version, so there I was.

Having actual gamers like that really makes the mood awesome. But the corporate mindset can get to you. The manager at the GameStop quit a while back because management was telling him to do things that he knew wouldn't work, and weren't listening to his opinions for the store at all. I've been to other stores around town where they just try to sell you preorders and strategy guides.

If you think the fun will be kept in it, go for it and focus on the good times. If you think the crappy customer service ideals that GameStop trys to enforce (God know why... *sigh*) it isn't worth your time.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

yeah man if its the first game store opening up in the area might be alot of people with old stuff in their closet they never bothered to try to sell off before.

"Oh hey a Video Game store maybe somebody there will want that adventure vision thingy ive had packaged up for years"

Where at in Utah man, near cedar City?

$5.15 is shit though.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    yeah man if its the first game store opening up in the area might be alot of people with old stuff in their closet they never bothered to try to sell off before.

"Oh hey a Video Game store maybe somebody there will want that adventure vision thingy ive had packaged up for years"

Where at in Utah man, near cedar City?

$5.15 is shit though.
    Yeah, I'm hoping to "clean up" on the classic gamage.

And it is not near Cedar City. It actually is in the largest town for three hours around. Let me draw you a map!

UTAH
    _____
    |.......| x - Vernal, UT
    |.......---
    |........x.|
    |...........|
    |...........|
    ---------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Dunno where that is.. Dont even live in Utah anymore, Just was wondering. IT does seem to be a backwater of Game collecting. Plus all the movie theatres around seemed to be about as current as what came out on DVD recently.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Try it. Start out working a few days a week. You'll soon have an idea if its something you'll want to stay with. Let your friend know your true intentions, that way if things don't work out you'll have prepared him.

The atmosphere is great but can go downhill quickly depending on location (mall/strip), general customer mix, and district manager harrassment factor. What are the expectations for the store and are you outgoing to the extent your not going to feel uncomfortable harrassing people about add-ons?

James Kim and family who used to own EB just jumped in the top 400 wealthiest people list 900million to 1.4 billion because they built that company on abusing their middle managers and lower. You'll be in that category and Gamestop is now positioned to follow suit if they haven't been already.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$5.15?!?!

NO ONE should work for this! The only way they can pay this, is because people accept this! You are worth more than that!