Thread: Double standards with console bashing? I'm being serious....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Double standards with console bashing? I'm being serious....

Some people actually do find the libraries of Sony systems very lacking, and so from their point of view the Sony consoles are realtively poor.

Is that outlandish, or is it just they way that I and others go overboard with Sony bashing as a (admittedly pointless) response to NIntendo bashing, etc.

I still feel that there is a double standard with regards to system bashing that pops up at times in threads.

As in, "Hi, let's make a thread just to trash the hell out of Nintendo and then be complete hypocrites as soon as someone reacts to our stuff in a similarly trashy manner."

Is it not possible for someone to just honestly feel a system doesn't have anywhere near what it takes to make it worth having?

And in all honesty, isn't it possible that there could be a point where a company treats theirs customers badly that even a dozen or so killer games aren't worth it.

The rationale under which a system can be bashed is this IMO:

1. There just aren't the games it needs to be worth a damn to the individual bashing it.

2. It hasn't already failed miserably, at which point it is possible to look carefully at it's library and acquire everything decent on it for a pittance.

IMO, there are a couple systems that fit the bill.

What systems fit the profile is up to the individual.

Some people just like to argue...... (guilty!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fanboys are on every forum known to man. The fanboy stuff is usually redundant "it stinks no matter what" arguements.

I like most of the consoles I own. Some are better than others in my opinion. That's the point, it's opinion. All these silly bashfests are mostly based on opinion with modest portions of fact thrown in.

Most true game players should be able to pick up almost any console (especially from NES forward) and be able to thoroughly enjoy the best games for the system. I can't believe anyone who says sega sucks, nintendo is kid stuff, playstation has no good games, xbox is a mega business not for gamers. I play all those systems, don't like them all equally. However I can enjoy any one of them based on the game library I have amassed or have access to. Everyone has opinions, but like with anything extremist rhetoric is just static, click and buzzers (no substance).

Bashing=Useless

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ALL consoles have shit in their libraries and all consoles have greatness as well. This year I decided to keep only one current gen console and chose to keep my Xbox and ditch the Cube and PS2. This was based solely on the convenience of the harddrive and superior quality as a DVD player. Nothing to do with software. (And yeah, my PS2 had a HDD in it).

There are times while playing my Xbox that I long for the numerous RPGs that were in the PS2 library. If I had of kept my PS2, I would have wished to play Elderscrolls, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Brute Force or Shenmue 2.

It's human nature to be biased, but fanboyism is a bit silly when you think about it because ALL consoles lack SOMEWHERE.

I display an N64 logo as an avatar, but not because I'm Nintendo biased. The N64 was the first system that I ever owned and it gives me the warm 'n fuzzies when I think of the months of enjoyment that the games made by Rare gave me, nothing more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every system I have ever bashed, I have later perchased cheap and loved. Its best not to say anything until youve had experience with a could chunk of its library.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle
    Every system I have ever bashed, I have later perchased cheap and loved. Its best not to say anything until youve had experience with a could chunk of its library.
    Everybody is able to bash every console. Bahinging is more a sport to show your love for your favorite platform. I love bashing PS1 to show my love for the Saturn and PS2 for my love for the Cube and Dreamcast. It doesn't mean I hate the systems, it means I like other more.

Oh the only system which can't be bashed is the game.com, as it was so horrible that there are no plus-points at all at the system.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, just out of curiosity, where do you or anyone find the ps2 genre dept lacking?

Fanboys are one thing, but finding the ps2 lacking in a certain genre is just odd to me. I suppose the 2d genre is lacking, but every console is lacking that. I can't hink o f a single instance where I could honestly unbiasedly say "system x has a much stronger x genre than the ps2 does"
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

The most I've said on this forum about lacking titles was durring a launch of a system. To justify a 400+ purchase of a system, it better have at least 2 good launch titles, and a great slew of games soon to come. Not just 3 or 4 killer app games, and thats it. PS2 does well in this area thats why it's sales are very high compared to the other systems.

I'm no fanboy by far cause I choose to own all systems instade of one, even if I wait till the end of the systems cycle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Double standards with console bashing? I'm being serious

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    Some people actually do find the libraries of Sony systems very lacking, and so from their point of view the Sony consoles are realtively poor.
    That is simply absurd. I admit that I have developed a rather spiteful bias toward Sony after being suckeded into its early PS2 marketing hyperbole, but there is no way that I can deny that Sony's software library is "lacking" (especially thanks to backward compatiblity supporting the PS1 library).

Is the Sony library lacking with respect to certain types of games? Certainly! But it would be irresponsible of one to suggest that Sony's library (as a whole) is lacking.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just realized that I have left out the most important qualifiers about my whole anti-Sony thing.

1. I compare libraries of systems to every system I've owned. Not just current ones. I have a heavy Classical/Neoclassical bias, so every system after Saturn, not including the DC has a relatively weak library in a sense IMO.

2. I am extremely picky about 3D games. I can only stand to play ones that are extremely well made. Only a few devs have ever been able to make 3D games properly IMO, and of the three main ones, one is Nintendo, another is Tecmo, and the third is Sega, which has put the stuff I was more interested in on XBOX and GC this gen, admittedly in smaller quantities.

3. I've had two PS2s with severe hardware problems, I actually owned a PS2 on and off until summer '04, when I got so paranoid when a friends system busted that I sold all my PSX and PS2 stuff to buy Saturn and PCE games.

4. While there are plenty of playable games on PS2, the only one I actually cared for much were the NipponIchi SRPG's on account of their humour and artistic design. To this day I am tempted to eat my words and buy a PS2 to play them, and that is part of why I trash PS2 soo hard, because don't want to go on a spending binge for just a few games.

However, I somehow suspect that I will do that at some point anyway. I have already sold and rebought my PS/PS2 stuff twice, and my Castlevania collection will never be close enough to complete at this rate for my liking.

I do feel that the library is lacking, and I do hate Sony, but part of it is really just an attempt to convince my self not to blow through a grand or so rebuying stuff.

There I said it. I am trying to convince myself that the system is not worth the half dozen or so games I want to play on it.

In a sense, the hardware failures I've experienced do make it seem almost rational at times..... And god I hate that controller.

So in conclusion, I have just been overusing hyperbole about opinions that are a bit more moderate. Something about the internet perhaps?