Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

This was the first Castlevania game I've played, and I enjoyed almost every minute I spent playing. I never realized how this game defined it's own genre. If I had to put a name to it, I'd say mix the platforming and exploration of the Metroid series with the wonton bloodlust and rare items of Diablo and you'd have a pretty accurate description. But anyone who's played the game could tell you the same thing ><

Anywho, the story for me goes as follows:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I played through most of the castle, made my way to Richter and assumed that was the end of it all. I reloaded the game and saw the taunting "84% complete" so I figured I'd go back through and get 100%. Luckily, I felt I r0x0rd enough to go through the whole castle, no problem.

I knew 100% meant going through that corridor of spikes on the left side of the Cathedral. However, for some reason I never explored the catacombs to get the Spike Buster Armor required to go through that hallway. I managed, somehow, to squirm my way over to the door as a bat, use a healing potion, and walk through the blue door with my half second of invincibility. I got the silver and gold ring, got the holy glasses from Maria, and defeated Shaft controlling Richter. As I teleported to the next area, I thought to myself "well sweet a little upsidedown room where I'll fight the real boss. Nope. The entire castle again, but upsidedown. I was blown away. Never before have I gone from feeling like a complete badass to absolute humility. It was awesome! I'm sure it came from the fact that I didn't go the "correct" way through the 1st castle so the whole 2nd castle felt like a big secret for those who could figure out the crazy spike/door puzzle thing.

Has anyone else experienced the feeling of going from complete awesomeness to the horrible empty void of being at the bottom again in any other game?

**END SPOILER ALERT**

If you have the means, go buy this game right now and don't let anyone tell you about anything in it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hah ironic, I'm currently 117% done in the Saturn version right now.

The inverted castle is badass indeed.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Castlevania: SotN is without a doubt my most prized possession in video gaming. I imported it for PS1 and beat it with over 200% before it came out in the US. Then bought the saturn and us versions and did the same thing with both of those. I was a little disappointed at the saturn versions tendacy to slowdown but overall it was solid.

I just wish Konami would listen to the fans and release a sequel on the home consoles. I hear the new DS game is awesome but there is nothing like playing it on a big screen with stereo sound. Especially when the soundtrack is amongst the best in videogame history.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania SOTN is definately one of my all time faves. I already knew about the inverted castle thing before I started playing but it was still awesome. I think I got 196% altogether.

Another must play Castlevania game would be Akumajo Dracula X: Chi No Rondo (Dracula X: Rondo of Blood) for the japanese PC Engine Duo (US Turboduo). Its way expensive (at least $130) but worth it. Remember when you play as Richter at the beginning of SOTN? That's the end of this game. I guess its not quite as good overall as SOTN in my opinion, as its level- based, not Super Metroidey like SOTN, but still a must play.

Congrats on playing one of the greatest games ever made!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SOTN was the pinnacle of the castlevania series in my opinion.. the spells, the gore, the music and the atmosphere reeked of awesomeness... getting the familiers was sweet, and being able to turn to mist, wolf or bat was a superb touch

it also has my faveroute item in any castlevania game :d that being the duplicator (if you've never had this item i suggest you go on a mad hunt with the trasure gem sword thing, you'll be able to buy it then go nuts )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had an experience similar to yours, having "beat" it and then uncovering the inverted castle on my way back through. I remember thinking 'wow, I beat that alwful quickly." Then I went back in and went "holy crap, there is like a whole other game in here!"

Wonderful game, one of the best video games I have ever played. I still pull it out and beat it at least once a year.
    SO not the Drama.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all the sentiments here - one of the best games ever, absolutely no question. Certainly the pinacle of the entire Castlevania series. I continually pull it out and beat it, just for fun - because it's just that good. Thank goodness for the Crissaegrim, one of the cheapest (and most fun) weapons I've found in any game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a coming of age title for me... when I first played through this game and discovered how deep it was I simply fell in love with the Castlevania series... even more so than I used to be... now I have every single game in the series except Rondo of Blood... one day!

Anyone know if it's fully emulated yet?
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by GetImOliver
    I knew 100% meant going through that corridor of spikes on the left side of the Cathedral. However, for some reason I never explored the catacombs to get the Spike Buster Armor required to go through that hallway.
    Did you read FAQs or a walkthrough while playing the game? I have never even heard of "spike buster armor".

I played this game for the first time a couple weeks ago. I had read absolutely zero hints about the game and didn't even really know what to expect. All I knew was people creamed their jeans about it. I was actually pretty disappointed.

Here is a summary of my game experience, quoted from my mini review on another site that brought out the zealots from all corners of the earth, raining down pillars of flame upon me:
    So I have explored almost all of the "first castle". I don't actually know what the hell the second castle is all about as I didn't scramble for the cheat guides like I'm sure most people did (you are almost forced to). Frankly, I don't care to continue. I have spent my last two gaming sessions searching out every nook and cranny, fighting endless waves of enemies that die in a single hit, bosses that do 1 damage to me and don't take many more hits than the yard trash, getting a ridiculous amount of life and heart boosts, finding a ton of useless weapons and armor, and trying to get familiars to actually do something productive. By the time I got done exploring all I could, I just wanted to save the game and be done with it.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMan
    This is a coming of age title for me... when I first played through this game and discovered how deep it was I simply fell in love with the Castlevania series... even more so than I used to be... now I have every single game in the series except Rondo of Blood... one day!

Anyone know if it's fully emulated yet?
    You can play this game if you look for a torrent of the game and burn the iso. The game music and sound won't play correctly unless you have an analog cable connected to your sound card, because it won't play digitally. I believe there's another work around for the sound, but I don't know it.

SOTN is defenitely the best 2d game I've ever played. I love the great rpg system, the beautiful castle and enemy design and EXCELLENT boss battles! The bosses in this game are so enjoyable I can play through it any time just for that. My favorite one of all of them is when you fight Trevor, Grant and Sylpha from Castlevania III in the inverted castle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazariah
    SOTN was the pinnacle of the castlevania series in my opinion.. the spells, the gore, the music and the atmosphere reeked of awesomeness... getting the familiers was sweet, and being able to turn to mist, wolf or bat was a superb touch
    I'd be inclined to agree with you, except that SOTN is far to easy. I like my Castlevania games nice and difficult, thank you. Although SOTN is fun to play, the ease at which one can breeze through key battles makes me favour Castlevania III: Draclua's Curse, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure to farm the ghosts, what is the name? Shmooch? Anyways, keep killing them in the library untill you get the Crisagrim sword.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just started this game the other day. Tried to breeze through here w/o reading too much.

Nice. My first castlevania experience (though I have several of the other games). Not that big on platformers, but this is one solid game.
    Always looking for more SMS. And Resident Evil too.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

BEST. GAME. EVER.

SPOILER:

Alucard is in Dawn of Sorrow! Don't equip the talisman from Mina before going to "the castle's center" to fight Celia, and you'll get Julius mode. Alucard is in there and becomes playable at a point.

END SPOILER

Anywho, play the hell out of that game and Rondo. Of course, I didn't pay $130 for mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SOTN is the likely the best CV ever.

Even though Noctune is arugably better, it's totally obscure and unbearably expensive compared to Symp. Ditto Rondo.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

In light of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the DS, I have decided to replay this treasure. SOTN is by far one of my favorite games of all time, easily my favorite PS1 game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A gem without a doubt. Best game in the series in my opinion, and lots would agree I bet.
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    Even though Noctune is arugably better, it's totally obscure and unbearably expensive
    Isn't it like $40 without the spine?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Make sure to farm the ghosts, what is the name? Shmooch? Anyways, keep killing them in the library untill you get the Crisagrim sword.
    Oh man! Talk about breaking the game. Although it is so much damn fun to use that sword it's almost irresistable ;D. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the Alucard Shield / Shield Rod combo. So hilarious watching Dracula die in about 5 seconds from you blocking.

Has anyone ever tried the 99 luck "skip death" trick? If you equip a certain amount of things and just barely step into the room where death takes your stuff, then go back and let the warg hit you, you will go FLYING through the room and bypass the cutscene ;D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Oh man! Talk about breaking the game. Although it is so much damn fun to use that sword it's almost irresistable ;D. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the Alucard Shield / Shield Rod combo. So hilarious watching Dracula die in about 5 seconds from you blocking.

Has anyone ever tried the 99 luck "skip death" trick? If you equip a certain amount of things and just barely step into the room where death takes your stuff, then go back and let the warg hit you, you will go FLYING through the room and bypass the cutscene ;D.
    Now was the 99 luck trick done on purpose?
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o