Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Make sure to farm the ghosts, what is the name? Shmooch? Anyways, keep killing them in the library untill you get the Crisagrim sword.
    Oh man! Talk about breaking the game. Although it is so much damn fun to use that sword it's almost irresistable ;D. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the Alucard Shield / Shield Rod combo. So hilarious watching Dracula die in about 5 seconds from you blocking.

Has anyone ever tried the 99 luck "skip death" trick? If you equip a certain amount of things and just barely step into the room where death takes your stuff, then go back and let the warg hit you, you will go FLYING through the room and bypass the cutscene ;D.
    Now was the 99 luck trick done on purpose?
    Couldn't be...way too buggy, causes a distorted ambient sound like a broken record, plus your inventory is inaccessible until you save.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CastleVania:SotN is my all time favorite game in the CastleVania series.

The gameplay is awesome, the spells and item combos are a blast. The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a Video Game and the sound effects are just right. The graphics and animation are all great too.

I've played through and beat the game over 10 times with Alucard and got every sigle item the game has, plus covered the castles in full.

I also beat the game two times with Richter and it had a great old school CastleVania feel to it.

IMO this is one of the best games from the 32/64bit era and a must own for any fan of gaming.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Default Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by Zing
    Did you read FAQs or a walkthrough while playing the game? I have never even heard of "spike buster armor".
    It's a item you get in one of the Underground Areas. You have to go through an dark room as Bat (Make sure you have the Echo of Bat relic) then on the other side, make your way thorugh a few hallways and you will find Spike Buster Armor!

CV:SoTN pwns! Though, CVOS looks like it might actuly be better then SoTN.

It's the best 32\64-bit 2D game ever followed by "Yoshi's Story" and "Mega Man X4", IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Make sure to farm the ghosts, what is the name? Shmooch? Anyways, keep killing them in the library untill you get the Crisagrim sword.
    Oh man! Talk about breaking the game. Although it is so much damn fun to use that sword it's almost irresistable ;D. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the Alucard Shield / Shield Rod combo. So hilarious watching Dracula die in about 5 seconds from you blocking.

Has anyone ever tried the 99 luck "skip death" trick? If you equip a certain amount of things and just barely step into the room where death takes your stuff, then go back and let the warg hit you, you will go FLYING through the room and bypass the cutscene ;D.
    Is that trick for real or a joke?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0

Is that trick for real or a joke?
    It's for real...

Start a game after beating it with a certain percentage (forgot how much, sorry) and enter the name: X-X!V"Q. Then take off everything except for the Alucard sword, twilight cape, and necklace of j. Then when you're at the entrance to death's room, SLOWLY inch towards until you enter the screen, then immediately go back left. Head left and kill the first warg, and then stand in front of the middle one. Let it hit you, and you'll fly right by death before he can spawn. Pretty damn funny trick. I think I listed the correct items you have to be wearing...after you only have those items on, you should have a defense of 12. Afterwards, go save (don't fall in the gap!) and you'll be able to keep all your items.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I, too, have been recently playing through this game and it is still awesome. I've been playing through the Saturn version again and, although its still a great game, it still suffers in many ways. By the way, does any one know where I can find some Gameshark or Action Replay codes for the import Saturn version? The ones on the Codebreaker site are mixed up with another game and I cant seem to find any on the web.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Question, has anyone here ever been able to get that extra .3% by going down to the aborted Underground Garden screens right at the start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tw4KE9PaLg
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I'll really have to check this game out. My first Castlevania game was Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for Gameboy Advance. I loved every minute of that game. Just typing about this brings back memories. I also played Castlevania for Nintendo 64, and I actually really liked that game, although some of my friends thought it was stupid. I've also played the ones for NES but didn't get into them all that much.

I've seen SotN on Amazon for around 20 bucks, so I'll have to check it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

While i love SOTN, It's not my favorite Castlevania, Super Castlevania 4 get's that title
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Question, has anyone here ever been able to get that extra .3% by going down to the aborted Underground Garden screens right at the start?

I've done it. It was a long time back right after the trick was discovered and I haven't done it since, but I have done it.

SotN is definitely one of my favorite games. Imported it sometime in early '97 and finished it completely, then picked up the U.S. version on day 1 and finished that.

But as much as I love SotN, though, it saddens me that it was basically the death knell for the series as it had been up to that point, the Castlevania I grew up with as it were. It's hasn't been the same since, the occasional foray back into the "old school vampire killing jam" type of game notwithstanding. Instead it's been portable Metroidvania after portable Metroidvania, halfassed attempts at bringing the series into 3D (including Lords of Shadow, which I am convinced was not a Castlevania game until Konami decided to slap the name on it), experimenting with genres that Castlevania never needed to be a part of and just a general feeling of "where the hell are they going with this now?"

Does anyone else feel the same way? Am I alone in missing the classic Castlevania style of gameplay, or what?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

This is one of my top 3 favorites.. When it was released I rented it, beat the inverted castle, then later rented it 3 more times. Cant say that about any other game.

Soo much good music on this game, its just unbelievable. I think I own 2 or 3 different soundtracks for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post

I've never done that but I have gotten the full 200.6% that you need to get the XBLA achievement. I've beaten the US and Japanese PS1 versions but never got the full completion until the XBLA version demanded it.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    halfassed attempts at bringing the series into 3D (including Lords of Shadow, which I am convinced was not a Castlevania game until Konami decided to slap the name on it), experimenting with genres that Castlevania never needed to be a part of and just a general feeling of "where the hell are they going with this now?"
    I do have to say that while Lords of Shadow was never going to be a Castlevania title, and for that I don't call it as such, the game is absolutely amazing. In the short time it's been out and even shorter time since I finally purchased and played it, I have to say it's my favorite stylish action game. The progression in the game is perfect, to where you don't have that feel of repetition as you're playing through the game as you're constantly learning new and useful attacks.

The gameplay, the storyline, the graphics. All amazing. The game is truly a work of art and a must own for anyone who owns a PS3 or 360.

Castlevania Lament of Innocence despite the repetitive areas, I loved the game. The combat was excellent I've played through @Crazy repeatedly, even finishing the boss rush on the mode as well.

As for my favorite games, most of them are classic titles, SCV4 being my favorite in the series altogether. CV Circle of the Moon is my favorite exploration type though. I also like the N64 titles which happen to be disliked.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I've never done that but I have gotten the full 200.6% that you need to get the XBLA achievement. I've beaten the US and Japanese PS1 versions but never got the full completion until the XBLA version demanded it.
    I have tthe full 200.6% already as alucard from the last time i played years ago. Know I finished as Richter once also but no save file, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    I've done it. It was a long time back right after the trick was discovered and I haven't done it since, but I have done it.
    Now if I can finally do it, I'll be happy.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

My story is a lot like the OP's... I toughed through the spikey hallway (actually, I think I flew thru it as the bat, changed into mist or else toughed it to get thru the door, then turned back into a bat again. I, too, didn't know about the Spike Buster armor).

This game was my first experience with Castlevania, bought on complete chance when it was brand new, and oh boy. It instantly made me a fan of the entire freakin' franchise, even the ones that play nothing like it. It's THAT good.

For some reason I didn't like the GBA sequels as much. I tried to, but they just somehow lacked the same oomph.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I played this game for the first time less than a year ago on XBLA. One of the few games I got all the achievements for including exploring 200.6% of the castle. I thought it was a great game. The inverted castle was a nightmare in a few spots but definetly a solid game. After playing it I ended up purchasing the soundtrack. I had to look up the spike buster armor thing and some of the secret rooms. One room in particular is almost impossible to find without looking online. In involves flying through a cave with a bat and a wall will dissappear. It was to get a sword that increased the chances of finding valuable things I think. lol.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I do have to say that while Lords of Shadow was never going to be a Castlevania title, and for that I don't call it as such, the game is absolutely amazing. In the short time it's been out and even shorter time since I finally purchased and played it, I have to say it's my favorite stylish action game. The progression in the game is perfect, to where you don't have that feel of repetition as you're playing through the game as you're constantly learning new and useful attacks.

The gameplay, the storyline, the graphics. All amazing. The game is truly a work of art and a must own for anyone who owns a PS3 or 360.
    I wish I could get behind you on that statement, but once the puzzles and fetchquests reared their ugly heads, LoS went from being a fairly enjoyable game to eBay fodder. I haven't been that turned off by a game I initially liked since being forced to go to work (and race fucking forklifts) in Shenmue.