Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are people saying the GameCube is dying?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well DUH, Sherlock. Of course this Christmas season is going to be its last, considering the fact that the Revolution is going to come out next year. This Christmas is also when the PS2 and Xbox meet their deaths as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What was the point of this topic then? For you to troll with?

"Why are people saying the GameCube is dying?

There's over 50 games coming out between now and March 2006.

WTF?! Everywhere I go I hear "Yep, cube's dying." "R.I.P. cube" "Cube's dead until Twilight Princess."

Do people really think this?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If any system should be worried about dying, it's Xbox. Seriously I haven't bought a game for that system since Conker's, and aside from Half-Life 2 there's really nothing worthwhile on the system aside from mounds of cookie cutter army games.

At the very least Nintendo didn't kill support to an already live and kicking console like MS did. Beat the compeitors? Ha! I'll pocket my $400 and buy some high quality PS2, DS, PSP, GBA and GCN games instead.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote=Xizer][quote=

That said, anyone who thinks the GameCube sucks has the old Dreamcast mentality. The Dreamcast was largely underappreciated when it was released, and its excellent games were ignored by the mainstream. Today we look back on the Dreamcast and it is seen as one of the best systems of all time. I foresee the same situation with the GameCube...one day the GameCube will receive more respect. It will go on to join the ranks of the Dreamcast, as a top-notch console that should not have failed.[/quote]

NO NO NO NO buddy most of us here KNEW THAT THE DREAMCAST WAS A GREAT SYSTEM WHILE IT WAS STILL ALIVE and have very similiar experiences( or flashbacks as is the case with me) when it comes to the inhumanity and horror of watching one of the most indredible home consoles (I think the best) ever die a very gruesome death at the hands of its own makers AND the mainstream public as they bought into Sonys hype machine like a bunch of brain washed Nazis (hows that for dramatic? ).

The Dreamcast recieves very little additional respect other than from the very few that have purchased one or actually bothered to play one because they read on the net that it was actually a good system and not another 32X or (and I hate to say this I luv the Saturn also) another Saturn because those were the two main reasons that the mainstream and casual gamers didnt give the DC a chance at all.

My point is that I think you are already prematurely trying to glorify the Gamecube and bunch it in with the Dreamcast when the two are completely different (im not talking graphics or power here) in soo many ways.

Reason #1- the Dreamcast was an underdog from the start and had the backing of a much smaller and already cashstrapped company SEGA. The Gamecube had just as much chance at success as the Xbox and was supported by a company with A HELL OF A LOT MORE COLD CASH IN THE BANK.

Reason#2- The Dreamcast had arguably the greatest launch line-up of all timene word SOULCALIBUR (thankx NAMCO ) while the Gamecube well DID NOT

Reason#3- The Dreamcast was both a home arcade AND a great 3-D home console all the excellent arcade ports and inredible 2-D fighters cater to a completely different crowd than the Gamecube.

I do agree with you that it will have a following for years to come but just about every major game system released for the last 25 years does to some extent (some more than others though).
    Im just not convinced that it will have a following like the Dreamcast or IF it does it will be a much different type of crowd.

Here comes the flame bait:
    The Gamecube just has waaaay too many kiddie games period and that will hurt its future collectible interest IMO.

All that being said I DO PLAN ON PURCHASING ONE LAST NEW GAMECUBE for the Metroid Primes , REs and of course Twilight Princess;Zelda and a few Nintendo exclusives but thats it after those few games Ill be done recollecting my GC collection.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Shadow the Hedgehog
    I am looking forward to those games this November! Oh Christmas Time, what a cruel mistress you can be!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only exclusive titles that i think u really gotta watch for are zelda and kirby. i havent heard much on kirby and it feels like one of those games thats gonna get delayed until next generation...i hope they come out with it soon, cuz a kirby game on tha cube would be sweet as hell (air ride doesnt count) well if it doesnt i can always play mega man x collection...thats guaranteed to be awesome

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    PS. Games for Game Cube:

10/05 Bratz: Rock Angelz
    10/12 Codename: Kids Next Door: Operation V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
    10/19 SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, Pants!
    10/20 Chicken Little
    10/26 Nicktoons Unite!
    10/31 Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Mis-Edventures
    Sea World: Shamu's Big Adventure
    Shrek SuperSlam
    The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer
    11/07 Mario Party 7
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    11/14 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    I think that's one of the best line-ups of video games I've ever seen... definitly all-star games in the making... it's about time to call Nintendo, and yell at them for my wallet that is about to take a pounding. x_x

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i knew the gamecube was going to die first when i bought it, which was 3 years ago.

before you label me a moron, i have 35 gamecube games, and frankly, only 10 or so are really worth owning, let alone playing. i bought my gamecube to play Zelda WW, i hated it, but that didnt make me give up on the gamecube, i knew it wasnt a winner, but hey, if theres at least one game i invest 20+ hrs into on teh system, my purchase (of 150$) is justified, thats jsut how i am, i own all 3 systems just so i can pick and choose what i play.

unfortunately that game never came, many came close, but nothing really worth keep coming back to, sure mario kart/party/melee were awesome, but they are multiplayer games, i get bored after 10 minutes of playing them alone (maybe if nintendo gave us internet support, instead of TELLING us we dont want it...). and the nintendo adventure games (metroid, sunshine, wario) dont do it for me anymore. im still looking forward to the new Zelda.

out of all the games that are coming out (50 was it?) like 1 or 2 are exclusives, so really if you own a ps2/xbox youre not missing anything, not to mention that the ps2 is getting like 100 games during that same time, and the xbox also hovering around the 70 game mark.

am i saying the gamecube is dying? fuck yeah, its been dying after its 1st year... jsut really really slowly. do i regret buying one? fuck no, its had games im glad i had a chance to play. but if the gamecube was your only system, i feel sorry for you.

as for dreamcast, it was a superior system to the ones it was competeing against (much like the gamecube) but like it was mentioned before, sega didnt have the money and power necessary to make it a winner commercially, nintendo DID, they jsut fucked it up... again.

whatever, will i buy a revolution? damn straight, as soon as i see one game i wanna play ill pick it up. same goes for the 360 and ps3. descrimination is stupid, buy and play everything, only then can you truly make an unbiased statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing you've got to remember is that Nintendo has always had fewer games come out than the competition. Why? Because Nintendo always believed in quality over quantity. Sure, there's twice the games coming out for PS2 and XB, but how many of them are going to be great, stand out games? Much of it is just filler. Generic shooters, sports and racing games to fill up the shelves and dupe people into spending their money. Also, Nintendo has always been more concerned about 1st-party games than 3rd-party. They want their own franchises at the top of the list, which may be selfish, but they've been doing that since the NES. Their 3rd-party contracts were much, much stricter in the 80s; they restricted the number of games a 3rd-party could release for the NES significantly. They can't do that to the same extent these days, but you can tell there's more 1st party than 3rd party games for the Cube and that's the way Nintendo wants it. Nintendo's also one of those companies that loves to milk a franchise for all its worth. Is that wrong? On one hand, yeah, it gets old. On the other hand, these franchises are still putting out great games, so maybe the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality DOES work for Nintendo *shrug* I must admit, Twilight Princess overshadows all other releases between now and then, so it does seem like that's the only worthwhile game coming out for the 'Cube. And true, the 'Cube is slowing down in production to make room for the Rev and the increasing numbers of DS and GBA games. However, in all honesty, video game systems never die. Sure, they stop being produced, games are no longer released for them, but that doesn't mean they're never played again (maybe for some people). There are still people who will revisit their old, "dead" systems and replay their favorites.

Systems never truly die, they just retire.
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I think we can all agree that the Xbox died first. On November 22, 2005.

R.I.P. Xbox, November 15, 2001 - November 22, 2005. Lifespan: 4 Years.
    R.I.P. PS2, October 26, 2000 - 2006. Lifespan: 5 1/2 to 6 Years.
    R.I.P. GameCube, November 18, 2001 - 2006. Lifespan: 5 Years.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

I wouldn't call the XBox dead. Aren't games still being developed for it?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube has been dying for awhile now. Go into a games store and it does not have the same amount of space devoted to it, nor do any of the advertising signs say anything about the Gamecube. The games that are coming out for it in the coming months can all be found on 360/Xbox/PS2.

When Twilight Princess is released, the console will be officially dead and over with. Similar to the N64 with its final releases in 2000/early 2001.

Nintendo seriously needs to get more third party support. I'm talking about the M rated sector of GTA style games and just raunchy ass kill everything type of stuff. It may not be that great, but hey, it sells.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Well, I think we can all agree that the Xbox died first. On November 22, 2005.

R.I.P. Xbox, November 15, 2001 - November 22, 2005. Lifespan: 4 Years.
    R.I.P. PS2, October 26, 2000 - 2006. Lifespan: 5 1/2 to 6 Years.
    R.I.P. GameCube, November 18, 2001 - 2006. Lifespan: 5 Years.
    I won't think that the Xbox is dead until games stop being released for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Xbox has more life in it then the Game Cube does, even if MS has just launched the system's successor.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Xbox has more life in it then the Game Cube does, even if MS has just launched the system's successor.
    I don't know about that, all the developers are being pushed into using their resources for the 360 .. so the Xbox will probably die really fast in terms of getting high profile titles.

And people seem to keep forgetting the GameCube's monopoly on children's titles. For the 10-and-under gamers, Nintendo is just about the only game in town, and for family-friendly games as well. That market core alone will keep the Cube going long enough to pass the baton to the Rev.

Slowly but surely, the gaming market has been moving towards targeting the most affluent demographic that they can (hence the nonstop sports title yearly releases, games aimed at 15-30 year-olds, etc), and Nintendo has consistently flown under the radar ever since the N64. They know they can make a sizable chunk of dependable income selling kids games, and even better, they don't have the 2-week shelf life of a lot more 'mature' titles.

Anyhow, this NG is jam-packed with well-experienced gamers in their 20s, 30s, and beyond, so it might be easy to forget about the millions of little kids who love to play games, but who don't usually have much fun with the really complex titles for Xbox and PS2.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Gamecube is not the only option

I always think it's funny when people talk about Nintendo systems as the only option for young kids. I love Nintendo's first party titles and so do some kids, but frankly, there are lots of games that younger kids can enjoy on the PS2. Spyro, Crash, Jak, Ratchet, Sly etc... are all games that younger kids seem to love. In fact, my nephew won't play most Nintendo games, but loves the aforementioned games. The Gamecube "died" in the marketplace as soon as most major developers stopped developing for it. There will be a handful of great first party GC games released before Revolution comes out, but I'm willing to bet that the XBOX will ultimately outlive it. Of course, the PS2 will probably have some support even well into the PS3 life cycle, outlasting both the XBOX and GC.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course you will be able to find games for PS2 and even the Xbox that kids will love, but not anywhere NEAR the legion of kid-friendly titles on Nintendo consoles.

Anything can happen, but I think the exodus of titles from Xbox to 360 will be swift and brutal. Microsoft probably wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyways, look at all the previous examples for a good rule of thumb.

Nes when Snes came out .. dried up fairly fast, even though there were MILLIONS of Nes consoles sitting in homes.

Genesis after Saturn (CD, 32x just confused and divided the Genesis market)

PS1 after PS2, all the emphasis went to PS2 titles, and pretty soon the PS1 was toast.

etc, etc, the other option is a premature death (Saturn, Dreamcast)

Other than the usual hatchet jobs of PC ports, I can't see the Xbox being a viable investment for first-tier titles anymore. As Microsoft ramps up production on the already red-hot 360, it's probably going to be a swift removal from the retail channel on original Xbox hardware, and the software will go from flowing, to trickling, to nothing. Which will be good for Microsoft, because they can move people into the more profitable 360 business model. They can charge more for accessories, add-ons, and games. The security on 360 games will probably be a tough nut to crack for a while as well, so that will be a big selling point for developers to make their new games 360 only, instead of even bothering with a regular Xbox version.

I could well be wrong, but with the new hardware already in distribution, it doesn't appear that there's much more than perhaps 6 months of Xbox being much of a presence in anything but used/trade outlets, and that might even be stretching things.

EDIT : Just briefly checking Gamespot, I see plenty of titles still headed the way of the Cube, and even though I'll probably never own a Gamecube, I see very solid support from Nintendo themselves, as well as acceptable 3rd-party support (Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft, EA, etc.). Also, 6 of the 'top ten' 10 coming-soon titles are super kid friendly :

Mario Strikers
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Naruto
    Chibi-Robo
    Sonic Riders
    Kirby

I'm not saying you can't find fun stuff that little kids won't play on Xbox or PS2, but the Cube, as the N64 was before it, is THE kid's system, and quite often fun for adults as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The Cube is lying alive by a string

Everyone knows that I am a pretty big Nintendo Fan around here. I like thier games as much as anyone else. I also posted that currently I saw alot of people on Black Friday buy a Gamecube. I believe that many bought the system for two reasons. 1st and primary reason: The system is cheap. 2)The system is the main console for making kid themed games. While the system is still around making games, it is by far third on the list behind Xbox and way behind Sony as in sales(and titles) Our selection that I see in our stores is a gaunt and small selection, nearly half of the size of Xbox and nearly 1/4th the size of Playstation 2. The small selection is usually an indicator that the system is on the last thread. The system was by far not a failure, but it was not a great success either. I feel that many of the great titles of the system have already came out. Zelda will be the last A+ title Nintendo will release for the system, even that is in question now. Anything more will jeapordize the flow of games for the Revolution. Like the N64 before it, the Gamecube will come down to but a trickle of games that are of note. It probably will get some decent ports, but it will definately not be supported by many IN COMPARASION TO THE XBOX OR PS2. I am happy to see the Gamecube have a full system life unlike the great Dreamcast. It is hard to face the truth sometimes, but take it from someone who works at a gamestore and sees it on the battlefield...the system is on its last breath. Speaking of being on its last breath, I do think next on the death list will be Xbox, and I give it one more year of so-so life.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: The Cube is lying alive by a string

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Everyone knows that I am a pretty big Nintendo Fan around here. I like thier games as much as anyone else. I also posted that currently I saw alot of people on Black Friday buy a Gamecube. I believe that many bought the system for two reasons. 1st and primary reason: The system is cheap. 2)The system is the main console for making kid themed games. While the system is still around making games, it is by far third on the list behind Xbox and way behind Sony as in sales(and titles) Our selection that I see in our stores is a gaunt and small selection, nearly half of the size of Xbox and nearly 1/4th the size of Playstation 2. The small selection is usually an indicator that the system is on the last thread. The system was by far not a failure, but it was not a great success either. I feel that many of the great titles of the system have already came out. Zelda will be the last A+ title Nintendo will release for the system, even that is in question now. Anything more will jeapordize the flow of games for the Revolution. Like the N64 before it, the Gamecube will come down to but a trickle of games that are of note. It probably will get some decent ports, but it will definitely not be supported by many IN COMPARASION TO THE XBOX OR PS2. I am happy to see the Gamecube have a full system life unlike the great Dreamcast. It is hard to face the truth sometimes, but take it from someone who works at a gamestore and sees it on the battlefield...the system is on its last breath. Speaking of being on its last breath, I do think next on the death list will be Xbox, and I give it one more year of so-so life.
    Well said and I can respect that. Keep us posted on that shelf space though. I would submit that as 360 shelf space grows, which if Microsoft is serious about making those millions of units, will undoubtedly happen, the shelf space for Xbox will be where it makes its home.

I would bet that the Cube hardware and small stream of titles, will slightly outlive the Xbox. Remember, the Xbox and PS2 are aimed at MUCH larger markets than the Cube is. And the focus of the Xbox market now has a sexy shiny new toy to work with .. I've just seen it too many times before, not to mention that Microsoft is going to be pushing the 360 with all of it's considerable weight.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default All you need to do is check the upcoming release lists...

PS2 and Xbox each have roughly 70-80 games scheduled for release in the next six months. GC has maybe 12, with most of those being first party titles. Of course, they are titles I really want like Odama, Chibi Robo and the new Zelda (although I suspect this may land on the Revolution). I think the PSOne is a good model for what may happen on both the XBox and PS2. New games were released for the PSOne in the US up until last year (mostly sports titles and a few budget titles) and a slow trickle of games came out in Europe until about six months ago. Essentially, the PSOne lasted roughly four years into the PS2's life cycle. MS has never put out a reduced cost version of the Xbox. If they ever do that, I see it lasting at least a couple more years.

The NES actually had first party and a few key third party games released for it 2-3 years after the SNES was released. I don't think the same thing will happen with the GC since Nintendo will probably put all of its resources into Revolution.