0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Jack Thompson, at it again.

I saw mention of this on Penny Arcade, thought I'd mention it here in case someone may have missed it. Apparently he's offering $10k to a company to produce and market a violent videogame about a parent who takes revenge on the gaming industry after their son is killed 'because of' a violent game. See the whole article here:

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5883

RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

ID play his game.

I especially like the part where you gun down Lawyers.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stop giving Jack Thompson attention.

We don't care what wacky antics he comes up with every other week. It's always going to be something stupid, asinine or just plain retarded. Don't spread the stupidity people...just ignore him.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and if the game produces copycat killings, it will all be Jack Thompson's fault! Brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by Milk
    ...and if the game produces copycat killings, it will all be Jack Thompson's fault! Brilliant.

I can see it now. "Jack thompson's game made me kill all those computer programmers, Really it did!!!"
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Talk about the pot and the fucking Kettle.

Giving in to his request would be like giving him fodder. Stupid bastard needs a good reality lesson. I say give him 2 weeks of "training" with Doom and drop him off in the hottest of hot zones in Iraq.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't be mad at and focus on Jack Thompson -- be glad that he exists because he makes videogamecriticism non-credible and hurts actually the moderate albeit nonsensical and effective criticism of media groups and parental groups which work together with politicians.

Noone takes Thompson seriously, he's a clown -- his crazy accusations reveal the nonsensical claims of media critics as what it is -- dumbness!

I wish the guy were every day in the newspaper -- he is a gift for the game industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    Don't be mad at and focus on Jack Thompson -- be glad that he exists because he makes videogamecriticism non-credible and hurts actually the moderate albeit nonsensical and effective criticism of media groups and parental groups which work together with politicians.

Noone takes Thompson seriously, he's a clown -- his crazy accusations reveal the nonsensical claims of media critics as what it is -- dumbness!

I wish the guy were every day in the newspaper -- he is a gift for the game industry.
    Interesting take on it. While I think there are plenty of half wits that believe whatever they skim off his headlines, I really like your "glass half full" attitude toward Jack. Consider me swayed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin

Interesting take on it. While I think there are plenty of half wits that believe whatever they skim off his headlines, I really like your "glass half full" attitude toward Jack. Consider me swayed.
    It is not even a "glass half full"- approach. Thompson isn't dangerous at all for the game industry, he's a blessing for them. Wacky and over the top criticism can be easily refuted.

The dangerous guys are the Walshs and Andersons, the Institute on Media and the Family who work with politicians and predominantly democratic think tanks which recommend to Democratic politicians for years now to take a tough stance on the entertainment industry focusing on videogames -- and the politicians followed suit. Democrats can make up this way for their poerceived weak position on family values in a soft political issue -- a win-win situation. The only notable exception is the Republican Schwarzenegger who did it for very similar reasons considering his background and his middle of the road republican strategy in California.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh. So...to combat violent video games, he wants to commission one himself? Interesting.

I wonder if he has any real specifications on how high quality the game has to be. If he doesn't...hell, I can program a simple game, and I wouldn't mind seeing 10 grand leave that asshat's pocket.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldnt mind playing it. I like violent video games. But it is kind of ironic how he is trying to prevent violent video games, by making his own.. What a retard. Oh well he is worth a laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mabey he works for the video game industry

since his antics actualy dampen the effects of the anti-gaming sentiment
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He is trying to be ironic by referencing A Modest Proposal by Johnathen Swift, but the metaphor really doesn't hold up on his end. If he thinks making a game about shooting game developers is as unthinkable as eating children, he is further off the deep end than I thought.

At any rate, he should get off his ass and make his own game. It wouldn't take him long to learn some high level graphic oriented language. If he wants to earn my respect, he should show that he knows something about what goes into games by actually producing his own. Heck, he could take the easy road and use one of the Fighter Maker games and name the characters "Disgruntled Parent" and "Capcom". I doubt this guy has the skills to figure out the create-a-wrestler mode on your average WWE game.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

GO GET EM, JACK!

Ya fucking dumbass.

Lendlin, I couldn't have said it better.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No kidding. 'Irony' is the first word that came to my mind, followed shortly by 'hypocrite.'

Talk about the pot and the fucking Kettle.

Giving in to his request would be like giving him fodder. Stupid bastard needs a good reality lesson. I say give him 2 weeks of "training" with Doom and drop him off in the hottest of hot zones in Iraq.
    Hear hear! Then he'd actually be doing something to help his country (well, at least if you believe what Dubya says about why it was important to invade and occupy Iraq), as opposed to going against what America stands for (i.e. 'land of the free').

You're right; Jack Thompson is to videogames what Ann Coulter is to politics. Unfortunately, there are always those too dumb to differentiate a valid argument from a ludicrous one.

The dangerous guys are the Walshs and Andersons, the Institute on Media and the Family who work with politicians and predominantly democratic think tanks which recommend to Democratic politicians for years now to take a tough stance on the entertainment industry focusing on videogames -- and the politicians followed suit.
    Democratic think tank? Isn't that an oxymoron?

(I'd ask the same thing if you said Republican think tank, so no, I'm not playing partisan politics since I feel that the contemporary state of politics in America is a joke to begin with)

He is trying to be ironic by referencing A Modest Proposal by Johnathen Swift
    I seriously doubt the Jack Thompson is the kind of person who'd give A Modest Proposal a read, much less appreciate it for its literary quality.[/quote]

he should get off his ass and make his own game. It wouldn't take him long to learn some high level graphic oriented language. If he wants to earn my respect, he should show that he knows something about what goes into games by actually producing his own.
    I agree. Those who totally write off GTA because of its violence should at least appreciate the skill that went into developing the game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You realize some wise-ass indie developer is going to make this thing.

...I look forward to playing it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with everyone who thinks the guy is actually a blessing. I seriously wonder about the guy's state of mind and whether he actually means to be a living piece of satire. If he doesn't, I think the guy might suffer from some form of autism or something. It doesn't make sense that someone could actually make it through law school and then seem to have logic and social skills that border on those of an adolescent. If that actually is him answering his email...wow.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I had $10,000.00 to throw away on stupid shit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At it again? Did he ever stop?
    -Craig
    So it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Li Wang
    It doesn't make sense that someone could actually make it through law school and then seem to have logic and social skills that border on those of an adolescent.
    Consider yourself fortunate to not know who Ann Coulter is.

I agree that the best thing we can do is to go on with our lives, taking the time to lobby when necessary. Attention whores like Jack Thompson will go away if they find that no one wants to acknowledge what they say, no matter how outrageous the things they resort to may be.