Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeVry University?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DeVry University?

I saw a commercial on TV about how they'll help you learn program video games, and go on their website and such to sign up, and it's pretty much a college level program where you learn to program video games, and you get free game demos from Vinvedi...anyone look into that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

My cousin went to school there for tellecommunications. Not sure about there gaming program though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Words of advice:
    If you want to learn how to program games research how programing languages work first then try teaching yourself. If you decide to jump right into a college intro course you might regret it and rush your experience. Personally I programed for 5 years before I ever took a class. Just trust me that proving to yourself that you can learn it and understand it by yourself is far better than just taking college courses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would take Fluxor's advice and teach yourself, then produce some stuff, or even just get into the mod community and get good with that.

A degree is nice (though I doubt one from DeVry carries much weight) but if you build up a big portfolio and have some "practical" experience (ie, if you build a big mod or create a home-brew game with a group of people) to show companies, I think that would make much more of a difference.

I think the only real advanyage a degree from DeVry would have is if they have some kind of decent placement service, but I don't know if that would help too much, since most of the bigger companies just seem to yank their workforce out of the local Calfornia colleges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    Words of advice:
    If you want to learn how to program games research how programing languages work first then try teaching yourself. If you decide to jump right into a college intro course you might regret it and rush your experience. Personally I programed for 5 years before I ever took a class. Just trust me that proving to yourself that you can learn it and understand it by yourself is far better than just taking college courses.
    I agree with this. Starting out knowing barly anything about C++ then taking a college class sucks. Trust me I did it. :/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you haven't programmed before, don't decide that you want to be a programmer juuust yet. I love video games and would love to produce one, but after being exposed to programming and where you'll probably end up careerwise, I didn't think it was for me. It's hard to say where someone who's never touched it should start. Java is is a real-life language that you can get into without spending big bucks. My friend does some C#, which is also free I think. Download JCreator (you can create programs in Java with it) and get a beginner's book to stick a toe in the water and see how you like it. If you like doing that kind of stuff for hours on end with very huge, huge, huge, complex programs, then development might be for you. Programming is all planning, problem solving, math, complex logic, etc. It's not like building something out of wood, and it's worth giving some serious thought.
    Move 'sig' for great justice.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: DeVry University?

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    I saw a commercial on TV about how they'll help you learn program video games...anyone look into that?
    No need to look into it. Like any college advertised heavily on TV, it's just a revolving door money maker. Get ya in, get ya out, collect a bazillion tuition dollars.

As others have already said, save your money and learn how to program games on your own. Carve it in stone: that school is NOT gonna crank out the next GTA or Katamari.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

You wanna see how complex a simple C++ program can get?

Check this out. One of my HW was to write a program to find the middle number of 3 imputed numbers from the user. Sound easy at first right? Guess again....

Luckly I figured it out, and reviest the program to this. And this is not even the BEST way to do it. Its a simple way. When you get a job, they want you to program the most effiecent way as possible. The less code per line, the more money they save. Not sure if that applies to the gaming field as much though, but I'm sure there are similarities.

if( (b < a && a < c) || (c < a && a < b) )
    cout << a << " is the middle number." << endl;

else if( (a < b && b < c) || (c < b && b < a) )
    cout << b << " is the middle number." << endl;

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero

Check this out. One of my HW was to write a program to find the middle number of 3 imputed numbers from the user. Sound easy at first right? Guess again....

Luckly I figured it out, and reviest the program to this. And this is not even the BEST way to do it. Its a simple way. When you get a job, they want you to program the most effiecent way as possible. The less code per line, the more money they save. Not sure if that applies to the gaming field as much though, but I'm sure there are similarities.

Tee hee. That's nothing. Imagine writing a sidescroller with smooth scrolling, collision, power ups, enemies, saving, and loading. Think that's hard? Now take all that and add an extra dimension, possibly net play, and learning how to program for a new console. That's what programmers have to put up with in the gaming industry today. I know I'm missing tons of things, but yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNugget

Tee hee. That's nothing. Imagine writing a sidescroller with smooth scrolling, collision, power ups, enemies, saving, and loading. Think that's hard? Now take all that and add an extra dimension, possibly net play, and learning how to program for a new console. That's what programmers have to put up with in the gaming industry today. I know I'm missing tons of things, but yeah.
    Exactly,

The more I learn about programming, the more I start thinking "Do I really wan't to do this the rest of my life". Who knows though , I might become an awsome programmer

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. I know it's a downer, but if you really enjoy conquering every problem that comes your way with a torrent of coding, then that may be your calling. I don't do well with programming things people tell me to. Programming for me is more of a hobby, and I do it when I get the urge to. I'm thinking of learning about business instead, and who knows, my programming knowledge might help me be a better businessman than the rest. Heh, look at Bill Gates.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

But you neglect to mention the fact that no single person is responsible for doing ALL of those things. As game software gets more complicated, development teams grow. Each person works on just one function of the whole (but when possible, moves onto another function as soon as the prior is completed and so on). It's all broken down into manageable chunks.

But yeah, that program is actually very simple. :P I WISH my C++ homework was like that these days, although, when I look back, an assignment like that would've scared me when I first started taking programming courses.

Oh, by the way, what if C is the middle number? I'm not going to dissect the code to figure it all out, but I noticed there's no condition for C. o_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B

But you neglect to mention the fact that no single person is responsible for doing ALL of those things. As game software gets more complicated, development teams grow. Each person works on just one function of the whole (but when possible, moves onto another function as soon as the prior is completed and so on). It's all broken down into manageable chunks.

But yeah, that program is actually very simple. :P I WISH my C++ homework was like that these days, although, when I look back, an assignment like that would've scared me when I first started taking programming courses.

Oh, by the way, what if C is the middle number? I'm not going to dissect the code to figure it all out, but I noticed there's no condition for C. o_O
    I didn't bother posting the whole code so that condition ismissing

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if(b >= a)
    {
    if(a >= c)
    cout << a << "is the middle number << endl;

if(c > a)
    cout << c << "is the middle no << endl;

}

if(a >= b).....

etc... i won't bore any of you with the rest of this, but it is kind of a complex problem. What you need to do is code it with the smallest number of "checks" (or if's in this case).

Video game programming is all about using the smallest number of cpu cycles. The less cpu time the AI takes up, the longer you have to process the graphics. In my oppinion, game programming is the most complicated form of programming there is. If you're honestly considering getting into the business, check out the recently released code of Quake 3. It's ugly, hacked together, and filled with bugs, but the end result is amazing none the less.

Err... sorry, just my 2 cents.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look, way back in the day (*cough* 1996 *cough*) I thought I wanted to be a computer scientist. Ah, we all did back then. A game "progammer" is just a very job specific computer scientist. After a few semsters, I realized sitting in front of a computer screen all day, looking at code really sucks. I don't care what you are making, only a very small percent of people can actually think it is fun.

Maybe you are one of those guys, but seriously, it sucks. it's not all playing games, and having fun. It is a lot of suck. I toured Digipen last semster, and it still seemed like a lot of suck. I'm glad someone does it, cause I like video games, but I'm sure glad it isn't me.

So ya, needless to say, I didn't major in computer science. Yay for physics!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is true, but I still think it's not that easy. With a specialized programming job, you still have to make your code work with another person's too, which I found to be a challenge in itself when I had to do it in class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

This is true, but I still think it's not that easy. With a specialized programming job, you still have to make your code work with another person's too, which I found to be a challenge in itself when I had to do it in class.
    SInce we are on the coding subject, Im trying to find a good practice website that gives me challenges etc. You guys have any good recomendations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Of all the schools coming out of the woodwork advertising these game degrees and so forth all of a sudden I'd be weary of their promises. I can say however that many of DeVry's other programs offer practical in/out education to set you up with getting a job - which is really the point of going to school in the first place. Also while on this note let me say that years ago when Collins College was a school of graphic design it's programs were very good, wouldn't say that now days.

Like many said, get some books and aquaint yourself with the basics first.

If you want to start making games yourself just to make games and see what you can do before diving into the world of heavy coding, check out Game Maker...

http://www.gamemaker.nl/

At the very least learning GameMaker (which isn't all that hard) will allow you to make some work samples and understand the very basics of game DESIGN. That seems to be what the industry is missing for the most part. Technically the games are amazing but unless there's something worth playing that is enjoyable then why even write it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch5
    Look, way back in the day (*cough* 1996 *cough*) I thought I wanted to be a computer scientist. Ah, we all did back then.
    Ahh, try 1999, back then most companies in Silicon Valley were offering free cars, free lodging, multi-year contracts, and of course STOCK OPTIONS!!! Oh man did it suck graduating in 1999 just to be doing absoloutely nothing with your life with no leads just two years later.

Maybe you are one of those guys, but seriously, it sucks. it's not all playing games, and having fun. It is a lot of suck. I toured Digipen last semster, and it still seemed like a lot of suck. I'm glad someone does it, cause I like video games, but I'm sure glad it isn't me.
    It doesn't suck for everyone, as you said, there are people in the world that enjoy the challenge and can write long complex programs in their head - like a friend of mine. However I will second that Digipen is total shit, producing nothing but cookie-cutter template mass produced coding drones.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing with programming: It's not difficult at all to program, and it's actually a bit of fun. I wrote a program with Euler rotations when I was 14. What's not fun is that 90% of your day has nothing to do with "programming", but is rather debugging and trying to figure out why X code won't work. It sucks, and a lot of people don't realize how much of their time is spent doing this until they actually code a big project. The only code I write anymore is Mathematica, and even in that simple language it's easy to miss a forgotten semicolon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Look, way back in the day (*cough* 1996 *cough*) I thought I wanted to be a computer scientist. Ah, we all did back then. A game "progammer" is just a very job specific computer scientist. After a few semsters, I realized sitting in front of a computer screen all day, looking at code really sucks. I don't care what you are making, only a very small percent of people can actually think it is fun.

So ya, needless to say, I didn't major in computer science. Yay for physics!
    Yup, 4 years ago in high school I took AP computer science (C++). I didn't fantastic in the class (90 average) and did good on the test (4 out of 5= some college credit). But.... this class showed me that I didn't have what it takes to be a computer programmer. I don't have the attention span to sit looking at the white monitor screen for hours on end. While I was in class, I would skip doing the assignments and make stupid quizzes and other little "games" for my friends to play. I enjoyed that very much.

So... good luck if you want to do this stuff.