Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept. sales software U.S. Mario outsells XboxMadden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sept. sales software U.S. Mario outsells XboxMadden

There were only seven games selling more than 100,000 units apiece in September compared to 20 last September. Consumers are clearly holding fire and waiting for the big releases to arrive at retail.

However, comparisons with last September are not wholly fair. That month saw a 44% year-on-year sales increase driven by the arrival of Nintendo’s Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green (GBA), LucasArts' Star Wars Battlefront (PS2, Xbox, PC), and Microsoft’s Fable (Xbox) which combined for approximately $95 million in sales.

The launch of Xbox 360 is likely to inject life into the industry as well as a widely-anticipated price-cut on PlayStation 2. Sony's PSP and Nintendo DS are also likely to be high on many Christmas lists.

sales figures:

PlayStation 2

1 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $15,5M 322,542
    2 NBA LIVE 06 Electronic Arts $9,1M 184,498
    3 NASCAR 06: Electronic Arts $5,3M 109,016
    4 TIGER WOODS 06 Electronic Arts $5M 101,770
    5 X-MEN LEGENDS 2 Activision £3.9M 78,209

Xbox

1 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $7.2M 149,682
    2 RAINBOW SIX:LCKDUbisoft $6.1M 126,024
    3 BURNOUT REVENGE Electronic Arts $4.1M 83,698
    4 NBA LIVE 06 Electronic Arts $4.1M 83,126
    5 X-MEN LEGENDS 2 Activision $3.9M 78,182

GameCube

1 MARIO BASEBALL Nintendo $8.1M 164,170
    2 WWE RECKONING 2 THQ $4.3M 86,708
    3 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $1.5M 32,486
    4 POKEMON XD: GoD Nintendo $1.3M 26,229
    5 INCREDIBLE HULK VU Games $1.3M 26,449

Handhelds

1 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $4M 82,527
    2 NINTENDOGS: CHI Nintendo $2.6M 85,117
    3 NINTENDOGS: LAB Nintendo $2.5M 81,810
    4 BURNOUT LEGENDS Electronic Arts $2.5M 48,902
    5 GBA POKEMON EMERALD Nintendo $2.4M 68,490

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very odd how that could have happened. I think the consumers and fans are wanting to get the 360 verison of Madden 06'. Yet, a majority of these games always sold better on PS2 for quite some time.

I honestly don't know where it could have slipped. Yet something sounds fishy to me.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I don't really understand why this is news. So the GameCube Mario Baseball outsold the Xbox Madden. Apples and oranges, regardless of the fact that the PS2 Madden outsold the GameCube Mario by a factor of 2. If Mario had taken the number one spot, now we're talking ...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I don't really understand why this is news. So the GameCube Mario Baseball outsold the Xbox Madden. Apples and oranges, regardless of the fact that the PS2 Madden outsold the GameCube Mario by a factor of 2. If Mario had taken the number one spot, now we're talking ...
    Jesus what's with all the fanboy-ism lately? Look, nobody cares about the PS2 version of Madden, because the disscussion isn't about that. What we're discussing is how Mario Baseball, a game on the 3rd wheel system, out sold Madden 06 (one of the best selling franchises of all time) on the second place console. Honestly, even with the coming 360 launch, i am kind of shocked.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the point was that Nintendo outsold something Xbox related. And that for once, the top five GameCube sales were not games that were more than a year old.

It definitely is apples ot oranges though. If you take the Cube sales of Madden and the Xbox sales together, it beats Mario Baseball. MB is an exclusive, so you would expect it to sell a lot on the only console its on. Madden is not. And it was in the top five for all consoles up there (although who knows what version is "handhelds"?)
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Jesus what's with all the fanboy-ism lately? Look, nobody cares about the PS2 version of Madden, because the disscussion isn't about that. What we're discussing is how Mario Baseball, a game on the 3rd wheel system, out sold Madden 06 (one of the best selling franchises of all time) on the second place console. Honestly, even with the coming 360 launch, i am kind of shocked.
    But aren't we also comparing a new release to a game that's been out for 3 months?
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really! Doesn't he understand we're discussing how incredibly great Nintendo is and NOBODY can beat the bestest system around?

Silly fan boys indeed!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This highly, highly saddens me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The fact that people get sad or happy over sales numbers saddens me.

I like that people post them, because I am curious. But I would never seek them out to look them over. Matter of fact the only time I see these numbers is on these boards and then it usually causes some Sony, casual gamer, sports gamer flame fest. That being said I will have to give Mario baseball a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing these numbers translate to me is demographics. If you like Mario and those games you need to buy a Nintendo system. A title homegrown, only available for one console should be able to outsell a title available for every game machine out (consoles, plus handhelds and personal computer).

Additionally, in my circle of gaming friends with a few exceptions. Most people said any sports titles they own are not for the Gamecube, all their sports titles are xbox or ps2. I think that is kind of a buying trend. That would have been a great statistic to see overall (sports titles in general, not just Madden, by console). I don't see many sports titles excelling on the Gamecube like they do on xbox or ps2.

As far as someone mentioning "what's with the fanboyism lately?". Lately? Fanboyism lurks in all corners of this and so many other sites.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    But aren't we also comparing a new release to a game that's been out for 3 months?
    Yes, but you should know that Madden Fever runs long after it's release. Beside Mario Baseball isn't a power title like Madden, it's not even close. So even though Madden's been out for a while it's still really, really impressive to see that it's been selling so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    As far as someone mentioning "what's with the fanboyism lately?". Lately? Fanboyism lurks in all corners of this and so many other sites.
    Yes i do know that, but mir if you've been following this site for a while you'll know that it's been far more apparent lately. Maybe it's just the looming shadow of the next gen that's causing the fanboy-ism on this forum, but since august things have been getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuros

This highly, highly saddens me.
    Dear god that hasw to be a sign of the apocalypse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As hardcore gamers we should be "sad or happy" over sales numbers. If our favorite franchises or new IP's don't sell well we have good reason to be sad. It's likely that we won't get a sequel. Also, it's sad when "glorified expansion packs" like Madden sell out all the time. Don't casuals have better things to blow their cash on?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038

I like that people post them, because I am curious. But I would never seek them out to look them over. Matter of fact the only time I see these numbers is on these boards and then it usually causes some Sony, casual gamer, sports gamer flame fest. That being said I will have to give Mario baseball a try.
    I'm in total agreement with you. I find the numbers interesting but they are just numbers and they don't make me like or dislike any company more or sadden me. I've also been wanting to give Mario Baseball a try.

Also doesn't the PS2 version of Madden always outsell the Xbox version. I don't think it has that much to do with the 360 coming out and more to do with the awful location of the white and black buttons on the Xbox controller. You'd have to pay my die hard Madden friends to play with an Xbox controller. I can't blame them its the most illogical place to put two buttons. Thankfully they fixed this for the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sept. sales software U.S. Mario outsells XboxMadden

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    There were only seven games selling more than 100,000 units apiece in September compared to 20 last September. Consumers are clearly holding fire and waiting for the big releases to arrive at retail.

However, comparisons with last September are not wholly fair. That month saw a 44% year-on-year sales increase driven by the arrival of Nintendo’s Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green (GBA), LucasArts' Star Wars Battlefront (PS2, Xbox, PC), and Microsoft’s Fable (Xbox) which combined for approximately $95 million in sales.

The launch of Xbox 360 is likely to inject life into the industry as well as a widely-anticipated price-cut on PlayStation 2. Sony's PSP and Nintendo DS are also likely to be high on many Christmas lists.

sales figures:

PlayStation 2

5 X-MEN LEGENDS 2 Activision £3.9M 78,209

Xbox

1 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $7.2M 149,682
    2 RAINBOW SIX:LCKDUbisoft $6.1M 126,024
    3 BURNOUT REVENGE Electronic Arts $4.1M 83,698
    4 NBA LIVE 06 Electronic Arts $4.1M 83,126
    5 X-MEN LEGENDS 2 Activision $3.9M 78,182

GameCube

1 MARIO BASEBALL Nintendo $8.1M 164,170
    2 WWE RECKONING 2 THQ $4.3M 86,708
    3 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $1.5M 32,486
    4 POKEMON XD: GoD Nintendo $1.3M 26,229
    5 INCREDIBLE HULK VU Games $1.3M 26,449

Handhelds

1 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts $4M 82,527
    2 NINTENDOGS: CHI Nintendo $2.6M 85,117
    3 NINTENDOGS: LAB Nintendo $2.5M 81,810
    4 BURNOUT LEGENDS Electronic Arts $2.5M 48,902
    5 GBA POKEMON EMERALD Nintendo $2.4M 68,490
    Awesome! Go Mario! I wonder why PS2 had the most sales. GameCube should have... Oh well. Nintendogs has really took off! 2 of them are on the top spots!

Ice
    Lurking since '05

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed. Is it news that the PS2 Madden '06 almost outsold the top five GameCube games combined? Not if you've been following North American PS2 and GameCube sales charts for the past couple of years. But when you're a Nintendo fan, you need to savor these small "victories."

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Katamari didn't sell that much. Neither did DDR. I'm slightly surprized. I also want to kill people that buy sports games from EA. Or, anything from EA. Or, any sports games in general.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Katamari didn't sell that much. Neither did DDR. I'm slightly surprized. I also want to kill people that buy sports games from EA. Or, anything from EA. Or, any sports games in general.
    Am I spared from execution if I buy Winning Eleven 9, since that's sticking it to the FIFA-license-hogging EA?

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick thing on the madden, people started out playing it on psx so they moved on to ps2, who wants to learn new controls and/or if they already have per say, madden 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 for ps2, why would they buy 2006 for xbox?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Katamari didn't sell that much. Neither did DDR. I'm slightly surprized.
    but does it matter if they sold that many? We got our sequel to Katamari and DDR turns out sequels as often as sports titles.

Top box office films aren't always the best movies either. With that said I like playing NCAA football and saw Wedding Crashers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Am I spared from execution if I buy Winning Eleven 9, since that's sticking it to the FIFA-license-hogging EA?
    For you, Zach, I'm going to say no.