Thread: Something I should've done a long time ago.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Something I should've done a long time ago.

Today, a lifelong resident of New Hampshire finally got off his lazy keister and made the scant hour-long drive to Funspot. For those of you not informed, Funspot is more or less the Mecca of the Calssicophile. They actually refer to the game room as The Museum, and it's a perfect moniker. 200 or so arcade games from the 70's and 80's, 99% up and running in excellent condition, and they still cost only a quarter.

It's really a thing of beauty. A huge room packed to the gills, pinball machines of every flavor lining two of the walls, aisles and aisles of arcadey goodness organized by publisher (all the Bally in one section, Midway in another, Nintendo in another) with signs hanging from the ceiling so you can locate your favorite group, all under red gel-filtered light so there's not a hint of glare on any of the screens.

I'd always said I was going to go, and I'm kicking myself for not having gone sooner. I saw Kiss Pinball in the best condition you'll ever see a pinball machine in. I saw the Pac Man cabinet the world record was set on. I got to play an original Galaga machine. I got the high score in Duck Hunt for pete's sake. I was grinning like a kid on Christmas.

By far my favorite game in the place was this little oddity off in a corner called Foreign Legion. The basic meat of it is a little model battlefield with targets that pop up like the old air rifle carnival games (with two model planes on sticks even) and you have sixty seconds to see how many of them you can shoot with a light operated machine gun. The cool thing is everything is down in the machine pointed up vertically and reflected off a horizontal mirror that has a blacklight shining off it, so you can't see any of the workings making the tanks pop up or the planes flying through the air. Everything has a translucent, otherworldly look, compounded by the fact that these are very clearly physical objects with actual depth you're shooting at as opposed to pixels on a a screen. Very bizarre, very cool, very very fun.

I won't go on and on about it, it's not something you need to plan an entire vacation around, but if you get a chance to hit this place for a day, do so. I put a twenty in the change machine, played nothing but the cream of the arcade crop for two and a half hours, and somehow managed to walk back out with more than twenty dollar's worth of tokens (which have the year they were made stamped on them) in a cup. (The cup being provided by them which is very nice if I do say so.) That's a day well spent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Heaven.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent.

I went to the Museum of Moving Image in Astoria, NY w hile back and had a smaller but similar experience. They had some primo older arcade games to play. For old times sake I laid the smacketh down on my friend while playing X's O's Atari Football. Yes, my friend did get a wicked trackball burn just to add insult to injury.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've made the trek north to funspot twice now and it is as he says - every game is there in fine condition. theres no pretense either, you play it just like you would in any arcade back in the day. My favorite machines there are the two player joust cocktail, atari warlords and the kid sized cabinet leprechaun right by the first floor door. one day new england classic gaming will get the funspot field trip together!

<<next meet in less than two weeks here in boston>>

NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds beautiful! Maybe someday I'll make the trek out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like heaven! Any photos?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

And why don't we have more successful arcades like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmiley381
    And why don't we have more successful arcades like this?
    Mainly because it would never stay afloat by itself. Funspot has been around for quite a long time, I think even before arcade games existed, so it's always been a fixture in the town anyway. The arcade is actually a very small potion of the whole place, they have bowling, bumper cars, mini-golf, a bar and restaurant, all that stuff.

It's so great because everything's just a quarter, but I doubt they could even cover overhead and maintainance at 25 cents a play, so they're just eating the loss, keeping it there to preserve history and attract the enthusiasts, and probably making their money back from said enthusiasts in liquor sales at the bar.

Almost all of the other arcades that used to be in NH have gone under in the past five years because nobody wants to play the "crappy" old games, but don't want to pay a buck to play the hella-expensive-to-make new games either. Thankfully, Funspot is open year-round and is a very popular tourist attraction and holds many pac-man/centipede/etc. tourneys, so they should be around for years to come.

It was spur of the moment thing, poloplayr, so I don't have any pics, but the next time I go I'm fully planning on embarrasing my friends by dorking out with the digital camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if it's worth flying over the pond to visit the place...
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds fantastic, like arcade heaven on earth.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmm funspot, how I miss you. I've been wanting to make a trip up there for a long time now, but none of my college friends love old arcade games. NECG really does need to make it up there on a weekend that isn't bike week. I needs me some S.T.U.N Runner and Star Wars Arcade sitdown.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously. EVERY time we're like "we ought to get the NECG kids up to Funspot", it's lousy bike week. We promise it'll happen someday.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!