Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanna play Xbox 360? Head over to Wal-mart!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wanna play Xbox 360? Head over to Wal-mart!

I got a phone call from a friend that Xbox 360 is now playable at the display units. He said he got to play "Kameo" and I was surprised he was pleased with the controller.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, all major retailers in North America have playable demo's and video's of upcoming games. Although I haven't actually seen any of them, I did write a news topic on the fact that they were going to appear in stores this week.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    As far as I know, all major retailers in North America have playable demo's and video's of upcoming games. Although I haven't actually seen any of them, I did write a news topic on the fact that they were going to appear in stores this week.
    No not quite. While all major retailers are going to get display units, apparently Wal-mart will be getting them first. That's according to a post on JoyStiq.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamestop is then next retailer to get the kiosk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be heading over to Walmart to try this bad boy out in the next couple of days, hopefully.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I've been to a few and haven't seen one yet..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

EB Games are getting their's this weekend. My store had ours delivered last night. Here's what I can remember:

1. The controllers are gorgeous. So comfortable it defies logic. Only complaint is that your right thumb can whack the right analog stick when you go to hit the start button.

2. The tray is molded like an ultra thin Samsung drive tray. No big lip jutting out to scratch the discs.

3. Playable demos:
    Kameo:
    Looks good, but you can tell it was originally an XBox 1 title. This is the the demo that shows off the high number of objects the system can display. Very odd control configuration though.

King Kong
    Torn here. The textures look PHENOMINAL, but it has that 'too crisp' look like many original PS2 games did. I.E. It doesn't seem like there's anti-aliasing. Slap that on, and the game shines. You can pay either as King Kong Vs T-Rex, or as the human running form T-Rex. Not too bad, shows promise.

Call of Duty 2
    The game that will sell a thousand Xboxes. The opening, real-time cinema takes a tad too long to let you get into the game, but it does show you what the special effects department will be doing. Gorgeous smoke effects, insanely clear graphics and details, great control minus an odd choice for the binocular buttons, and really neat fighting.

There's videos of all of the above, plus Project Gotham 3, and about 6 other games. I only skimmed those since I was doing all this after close...if I can remember I'll update this with a real list tonight.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was able to play the 360 tonite at a Wal-Mart not to far from me for about 1 and 15 minutes.

Here is my review:

First things first..... I walk up towards the electronics area, not sure if they have a demo unit, and then I see the controller from a distance, and I see the Samsung 23 inch LCD HDTV. At this point, I'm very excited, because nobody is using it, and I didn't know if this Wal-Mart would actually have one or not. I just decided to stop by for the hell of it.

Well, I grab the controller, and let me tell you....The Controller feels great in your hands. Man, I just wish that I could rip it away from the stand, because you can't truly appreciate it, when it's attatched to that thing. But you can still feel the controller and feel that it feels absolutely perfect in your hands.

The 23 inch Samsung 16:9 LCD HDTV is pretty sweet, but the setup at Wal-Mart has the screen way, way above your head, and at a crazy angle, making it damn near impossible to enjoy the experience. The only way that you can really enjoy demoing the unit is if you were 10 feet tall, and you had 6 foot long arms to reach way down to the controller. I'm going to need to see a freaking chiropractor after my 360 session.

The coolest thing about the system is the blades in the menu. When you first turn on the 360, it shows these various blades. Like Media, Games, Live, etc, etc. It's very cool to bounce back and forth between them. Very stylish and up to date. It's a nice touch for the interface that you interact with every time you turn on your 360.

Ok, you are allowed to actually play 3 games, like discussed above. Kameo, Call of Duty 2 and King Kong.

Kameo : To me, this game was pretty freaking amazing. This is basically the launch equivalent of Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64. It's that freaking good. This game had me smiling like crazy while playing it. The textures are totally amazing, and the level of detail in everything is off the charts. This could be a real deal contender for Game of the Year 2005 honors (for any system). The only negative thing I can say about this game is that I don't think the AA effect has been turned on in this game yet, or it's just looking at it on a LCD screen isn't the most flattering display to see it on. There is some very, very minor issues with "jaggies". You can see it if you look at the outlines of the characters and stuff. But I'm talking extremely minor, and again, might be due to the LCD screen. The other issue with this game is the controls. Very hard to get used to using the correct controls and the camera is kinda quircky. Of course, if I had more time to play it, and read the instructions and wasn't looking at the screen from the worst possible angle, then maybe this games controls won't be a significant issue at all when I play the final version.

Kameo bottom line :

If you are getting a 360, this is pretty much an absolutely mandatory game to have in your lineup. It's a game of the year canidate and will clearly be one the 5 best 360 games this year. If you absolutely can't stand action/adventure and platforming type games, then maybe you can avoid this game, but if you even have the slightest appreciation for this genre you will fall in love with this game.

King Kong : I'm not sure why they would put King Kong on here. King Kong is a port of a XBOX 1 and PS2 game. When you fire this game up, some of the things you see in the game seem very current generation and not at all impressive. But, then there are these little details and nuances of the game that make you say, "WOW". From a graphical standpoint, this game had the worst case of jaggies. This game needs the AA to be running really bad. If the final game has no jaggies at all, then it will be quite impressive. The environment that the game is played in, is pretty damn cool. The demo has two sections, you can either play as the human guy or as King Kong himself. Playing as Kong is pretty freaking amazing. When you are swinging around on stuff and running around, it's pretty damn bad ass. Fighting a T-Rex one on one is pretty damn cool. Speaking of the T-Rex, the T-Rex is interesting because sometimes it looks absolutely stunning, and sometimes it looks really wack. Again, alot of jaggies going on here. The girl that is in the movie, is animated pretty amazingly. She runs around and hides and stuff after you put her down to fight the T-Rex. This game is pretty interesting, because I think it's going to have some unique play mechanics and it might really be a better than average playing game, but will the graphics really be that much superior to the XBOX and PS2 versions?

King Kong Bottom Line : The jaggies in this game is definitely unacceptable, but the word is that the AA hasn't been turned on yet, so it should dissapear before the final release. This might be one of the most overlooked 360 games, because of it's status as a "port". But there is a definite chance that this game could be one of the better games of the year and the 360 version is likely to be the most impressive version out there. This could be a sleeper.

Call of Duty 2 : Right now, it's still up in the air as to whether or not Perfect Dark Zero will actually be available on day 1. If not, then COD2 becomes the big FPS for the system. Call of Duty 2 is a mixed bag as far as I'm concerned graphically. There are certain things, that when you see them up close they look amazing, and then there are certain things that when you see them up close they look really lackluster. Overall, I would say the graphics are impressive, but there are little things here and there that make you think..."Hmmm, this doesn't look as next gen as I thought it would". The other thing about this game is that the controls take an awful long time to come to grips with. It seems very difficult to target enemies that are far away with any accuracy at all. But once you get more of a feel for the controls the game plays alot better. At first, I thought the game was impossibly hard, but then I found out that it's just that it's hard to get used to the controls at first. When you are running around in the demo area, it is pretty amazing when you see the buildings and stuff. The visuals are pretty nice. The smoke effects are really nice. There is alot going on in the game. The only negative things I can say about the game is that the controls are maybe a little overly complex, with some of the button mappings possibly ill-advised. From a graphical standpoint, the game has it's high and lows. Some things look jaw droppingly gorgeous, and some things look kinda lame.

Call of Duty 2 bottom Line: The bottom line with this game is that if you are a fan of FPS and you are getting a 360 at launch, then you pretty much have to take this game home. It looks like it's going to be a very deep and involved game, and even though the controls are difficult to come to grips with, and there are some graphical things that are somewhat lackluster, overall this game provides a very significant audio/visual impact, with some solid gameplay. This is going to be a game that you can spend some serious time with.

My overall impressions after playing the 360 for the very first time: The first thing that pops into my head after playing around with the thing for over an hour, is that November 22nd can't come any faster. Man, I really want this thing in my house. I want it hooked up to my HDTV and to my audio system. Playing it on that Kiosk is not the ideal way to play it. I love the dashboard for the system, the interface or whatever you call it. Very cool and very stylish and very logical. The controller is a dream. Better than any PS2 or XBOX 1 controller. Feels absolutely wonderfull. The system itself is a thing of beauty. Very nice design. Seeing it inside that glass case, it looks really, really pimp. The three games are a mixed bag, showing both the weaknessess and the strengths of the early software. Kameo is definitely a can't miss game. If you even remotely like action/adventure type games, then you should be all over this game. It also looks to be a graphical and audio tour de force. The purchase of Rare will finally start paying some dividends with this game. You can see a little bit of Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie and Zelda in this game. Good company to be associated with. Call of Duty 2 appears to be a very solid FPS game to launch the system with. It isn't mindblowing by any stretch, but it looks to be a deep, solid launch game. King Kong is a port of a current gen game, but it does show promise, and if the jaggies are eliminated, then it should definitely be the definitive version to have. Definitely a must rent.

I can say that I'll definitely spend some more time with a 360 Kiosk in the near future, and that these are just my first initial impressions of everything.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

x_x

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

x_x

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, my wal-mart didn't have shit.
    The employee's wernt very helpful either.
    I did get a box of easy-mac for pretty cheap though...
    I think i'll go back tomorrow night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Went to my local Wal-Mart and tried Kameo and King Kong... they look way better than they did when I saw them at E3.... Kameo did at least...

I'll probably go back tomorrow to try Call of Duty II...
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

No Wal-Mart should have them running right now.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136388.html

Issues with them to say the least. Mine didn't even get them yet.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't plan to get a 360 anytime soon, but from the sound of it I really need to find one of those kiosks and give Kameo a shot. I'm a sucker for a good platformer, and who knows? It could possibly sell the system for me....maybe.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default scouting report

I just got done playing and watching others play the 36O at Walmart. Overall I have to say that...it looks like an Xbox 1.5. I do like the controller, although I can see it being less durable than the original. The system looks nice, and the interface was nice and easy to surf, although it was too easy to scroll left and right through the "blades by accident". Here are my opinions of the three playable games that I saw. I think it was a poor choice to have a port as one of the playable demos. Peter Jacksons King Kong is an amazing game, it just does not impress me as it will be on three other systems. Kameo did not look good to me. Jaggies are unacceptable and overall the game did not feel polished. Also, I must of not been hitting the right buttons, because I was not able to cut through the cutscenes....lame. Call of Duty to me looked the best, although again a poor choice in my opinion to show off the 360. The framerate was nice. The detail was nice. The gameplay was fast(as in King Kong). To me, I just dont really see the big deal when there are 25-40 FPS war sims on the Xbox. Perfect Dark as a playable would have been alot better. Kameo was nice in the fact of being an original title, it just was not that fun to control. After playing the demo, I feel justified about waiting and will probably get one when the price drops after a year or so.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to Wal-Mart earlier today and they didn't have it. I'm not to excited about the 360...but I still would like to give it a whirl.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: scouting report

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Kameo did not look good to me. Jaggies are unacceptable and overall the game did not feel polished.

Kameo did not look good? That game looks freaking fantastic. I don't see how anybody could look at that game and think that it actually looks bad. When the level first starts, the camera sweeps accross a large castle, and you see the Orcs climbing up one of the walls, it looks really amazing. The world that they have created is alive and breathing. Pretty damn spectacular if you ask me. When you hit one of the barrels with the fire and knock it over, the fire actually spreads to the ground and then ends up burning out. It's a very nice effect. The textures on the bricks of the walls are just gorgeous. Jaggies do exist in the game, but they are much, much more minor than Call of Duty 2 or King Kong. Also, the AA hasn't been applied to it yet, it hasn't been completely finalized yet, so all jaggies should be completely gone from that game in the release version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man do i realy hope those controlers are rapid prototype throw togethers. Holy crap was i disapointed with that controler -- looking at the pics in the mags i thought the Xbox 360 was going to have the best controler ever and now ive changed my mind

i didnt like the feel of the plastic in my hands, it felt like SLA stuff and looked like a SLA model

i realy, realy hope that the controler was just a pre- production model they sent out to all the koisks.

GAMES
    i only had time to check out the kameo game - but the kiosk seemd like it had 6-8 tittles you could check out

My impression of Kameo - i thought that was also an early version of programing - the aliasing looked worse then on xbox games, also the game did not look in any way mind blowing. While playing it i felt the xbox could handle this.

Don't get me wrong - it looked very nice and impressive - i just thought it looked like it wasn't that much better than some of the pretty games on the xbox. It did have some small details that i think would have been slightly toned down if ported to the xbox but in all it looked like an impressive xbox game.

also -- wasn't Kameo originaly designed for the xbox? So, if that is true then i don't think Kameo is a good tool to use in judgeing what the 360 can do.

Also, i have a feeling that many of the first games will look like they could be handled by the xbox. Weren't the early development kits based on the xbox because there was no 360 hardware? I thought i read an article like that some months ago.

At least im looking forward to an xbox system that wont have games that look like they belong on a ps2 - i was slightly disapointed that many of the games didn't use all the xbox power available.

so my first impression of the 360 isn't that great - the controler disapointed me most of all - like i said i realy hope that was just a pre-production model using some kind of SLA material. BUT I am one of the few fans of the original (large) xbox controler, so i think some of my disapointments come from that. One more thing i think im going to miss the extra buttons (white and black)
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"i realy, realy hope that the controler was just a pre- production model they sent out to all the koisks."

The controller is finished and in production. You can buy it at many stores even (The identical PC USB version).