Thread: WTB: Something cheap so I can play my import PS2 Game!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default WTB: Something cheap so I can play my import PS2 Game!

BACKSTORY:

Anyone remember Bust A Move? No, not the one with Bub & Bob, the Rhythm Action game for PS1. I bought it when it was released IN JAPAN and paid 60.00 for the game and 50.00 to get my PS1 modded at Microplay just so I could play this awesome game. Then it was released in the US as Bust A Groove, I bought that too! Also imported the sequal and bought the US sequal. Hardcore fan.

Well, about 4 years ago I heard about Dance Summit 2001, a PS2 game that was a BRAND NEW Bust A Move Sequel! I bought a PS2 shortly after that...and waited.....and waited........and waited............

...yet it never came to the US, and it wasn't as easy to mod a PS2 to play a import games, and was pretty damn expensive. I didn't have the money to throw away like I did in the PS1 days, I still don't! Well, after 4 years, I figured I could pick up the game cheap somewhere, so I scoured eBay completed auctions...the game still hits 40.00 shipped and there was only 2-3 on eBay in the last 3 months. There was a BIN for one, 42.00 shipped complete, I knew I had to nab it now or never, because I wasn't getting one any cheaper!

Now, I have the game coming, should be here next week. After all these years I finally have it! But wait. Ummm...I CAN'T PLAY IMPORTS! Oh no. Thing is, I kinda tapped out almost all my current "spending limits" buying the game! So here's where I need some help.

WHAT I WANT TO BUY:

I need SOMETHING that will let me play this game. I've heard of many solutions, swap disks w/ slide tools, gamesharks, action replays, flip top lids, mod chips, HDLoaders, something with a magnet inside your PS2 disk drive, etc. etc. I don't care what I have to do, I just want to play this game and I want to be able to play it relatively inexpensive...preferably a solution for about 10.00-15.00

I have the original fat PS2 from about 4 years ago.

Hopefully someone can help me play this game, because God knows I've waited long enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Oh dammit I know SOMEONE can help me out!

Or at least a little info on what I can do? I know nothing about this, I just want to play my game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I find it really hard to believe that no can even give me a little information on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Chris!

Sorry for the delay in rescue help!
    I hope you werent feeling too stranded on PS2 Import Island!

Your best bet is the HDLoader, and unfortunately it costs more than $15 but is completely worth it....
    Not just for the import factor, but for the protecting your discs in the long run too...

Just search google for it i guess, I dont know the best dealer for it in the US only the UK...
    Its really worth saving up for

I dont recommend any Slide tool and god forbid any magnet trickery, thats just askin for trouble...

Dont forget, once you have the necessary kit, ull be able to play that hamster ball game i mentioned a while back...

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't it only the newer HD Loader *2* that can play imports? I've got the original HD Loader and I'm pretty sure I can't use it to play import games.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

HDloader just lets you copy games to the HD installed in the PS2 (using the network adapter). You still need your PS2 chipped to transfer import games to it using the HDloader software.

Unless you connect the HD to your PC, make an ISO out of the import game, transfer it to the HD using WinHIIP and then play from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, i wasnt being very clear...
    I use the FTP transfer feature... I make an ISO of the game and transfer it accross using the software provided...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize
    Sorry, i wasnt being very clear...
    I use the FTP transfer feature... I make an ISO of the game and transfer it accross using the software provided...
    Call me lazy, but I don't want to go through that trouble just to play the game.

My PS2 is a piece of crap anyways that barely reads disks, so I'm not worried about breaking it with a slide tool, if it breaks it gives me an excuse to get another one.

I'd like something simpler, like a slide tool scenario, I have someone who may be selling me one. Have to see. If you guys have anymore info I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trouble? Bah! Its Nothing :P
    Seriously, after the first few Iso transfers, youre laughing!
    Also its removable too so if your PS2 died, you could use it on the next one...
    Also the fact its starting to have laser trouble wouldnt even matter with the FTP Transfer really...

Slide Tool.... I guess its your call :P

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always heard that the flip top case/swap disc combo was the easiest for those who don't want to do any soldering, etc.

It's the route I'm planning on going...plus the flip top cases are nifty looking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing you figured out how to use HD Loader but I figured I see if you were still interested in a PS2 with a mod chip. I going to post mine this weekend. thx Chris