Thread: Restoring my Asian NES

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Restoring my Asian NES

I'm not sure if this is the right place to start this thread, but i've recently been looking to 'restore' my old asian NES since its been left somewhere in one of my wardrobes for over a decade. What i mean by 'restore' is, to get replacement controllers, a 240v plug and some games since my mom threw the entire lot away a while back (the entire lot except the system - i miss my mario/duck hunt cart *sob*).
    Anyways i know theres no way to get replacements where i come from, and since i'm going to be living in the UK for some time, i'd thought i'd get the replacements from here.
    Now my question is, would the european controllers work on my NES? And has anyone actually seen asian NES games floating around (on ebay or online stores)?

On a side note, i'm also looking to restore my famicom (well its not really mine, it came with the house my relatives bought here in the UK - along with a famicom disk system and hell of a lot of pirated games). The front label (where its supposed to say family computer system - i think) has completely worn off and i'd like to know if there's anyway to get that replaced. Oh and is there supposed to be a switch on the back at the point where it says (ch3 / ch4)?

Cheers to anyone that can help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

do you want to post pictures of your nes so we can see what we're dealing with here? when you say 'asian nes', many asian nes consoles are actually pirates, though theres probably legit ones too:P

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I havn't got the system with me at the moment, its back in singapore. I just need the accessories and power supply for it. Oh and the system is not bootleg. Its a legit NES console (thats exactly the same as the US version) except that it says 'Asian Version' at the bottom of the word 'Nintendo Entertainment System'. It was released by Nintendo when they had an office there back in the 80s and early 90s.
    Still got the orange zapper that came with it though

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you mean Hong Kong Version maybe? If so, I have the game for you. It's a CIB Duck Hunt.
    If you ever find the accessories for your NES, PM me for the game. Ill let it go cheap. Shipping to the UK is not a problem either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm pretty sure you'd be OK with standard US/European controllers. A UK power pack would probably be fine aswell, but check the power ratings on the console first.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You interested in buyng back the YY/DBZ cart? Yes guys Asian version is an Official NES system

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by almostgotthemall
    Do you mean Hong Kong Version maybe? If so, I have the game for you. It's a CIB Duck Hunt.
    If you ever find the accessories for your NES, PM me for the game. Ill let it go cheap. Shipping to the UK is not a problem either.
    Its just plain 'Asian' edition. It was marketed for Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and (maybe) Thailand.

Thanks for the offer, i will pm you once i get my accessories sorted. I believe the HK and Asian editions are identical, just marketed for different regions.

anagrama - thanks for the info!

Chronodriftersx - No thanks!
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Insert Coin (Level 0) lena redmoon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Hi Enixis. I'm new here, and I also an Asian NES owner. Before I start my suggestion to you, let me share a bit of my story how I acquired this Asian NES. Since I'm living in Malaysia, the one & only versions of the NES that sold was Asian version. Actually I got this NES which was donated by my brother in-law (my sister's husband) at February (this year), 2 days before the Chinese New year eve. My sister has called me & my mom to her husband's house to do general cleaning including the garage & store room. They gots so many stuffs that they don't want it anymore and puts all them together to throw or give it away. Then, my brother in-law founded his beloved NES (complete in box, the box still in good condition like new, with manuals) that keeps in the store room for a long time. He bought this NES in 1989 and that time I was still a 12 year old girl. Because his house was just next to my house, so every weekends I went to his house just to play his NES! That was in the past. Then, he ask me if I still keen for his NES since he don't need it anymore because he's now shift for more sophisticated game consoles likes Wii & PS3, so he decided to give it to me. I can't imagine how my feeling at that time. Without hesitate, I quickly accept this 'precious' gift from him. My parents can't buy me the NES in 1989 because that time my family was poor, while my brother in-law was rich because he's a businessman. After finish the cleaning, me & my mom return home with the NES. When I took it out from the box it was dirty, dusty & also yellowed. But the red text logo "Nintendo Entertainment System Asian Version" at the door lid was still there, no fading. He also included game but only one, the Super Mario Bros. So I clean the game cartridge and the console, and also de-yellow it too. After cleanings and reassemble the console, I try to test the NES with the cleaned games. It cannot load the game. I got solid grey screen on my TV. Then I disassemble the NES again and I founded that the 72 pin was the causes. It was dirty and also rusted. So I order a new 72 pin from ebay, and I installed it by myself. The old dirty & rusted 72 pin was then in the dustbin. Then I test the NES again. YEAH!! It come back to life!

Now about your Asian NES, I've ask many friends from worldwide at Facebook and NintendoAge, also the seller from ebay. For the controller, it can support a UK PAL but it cannot support the US NTSC. Also it cannot support the European, Italian, Australia & Spanish controller. For the games, ebay got tons of them but if you're looking for Asian version NES games, it very rare, and if got, the price are very expensive. I've buy NES games from ebay too, to begin my collection since my brother in-law gives his NES to me. From my experience, the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. 3 & Wild Gunman that I bought from ebay was a UK PAL which, one of them was branded as "MATTEL VERSION" & "NES VERSION" on its box and it seems that my Asian NES can runs the games without any troubles eg. blinking red light which we know caused by the lock-out chip rejection. So I think I don't need to disable its lock-out chip. I also has bought a grey zapper from a US seller at ebay and it can works on my Asian NES too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enixis View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to start this thread, but i've recently been looking to 'restore' my old asian NES since its been left somewhere in one of my wardrobes for over a decade. What i mean by 'restore' is, to get replacement controllers, a 240v plug and some games since my mom threw the entire lot away a while back (the entire lot except the system - i miss my mario/duck hunt cart *sob*).
    Anyways i know theres no way to get replacements where i come from, and since i'm going to be living in the UK for some time, i'd thought i'd get the replacements from here.
    Now my question is, would the european controllers work on my NES? And has anyone actually seen asian NES games floating around (on ebay or online stores)?

On a side note, i'm also looking to restore my famicom (well its not really mine, it came with the house my relatives bought here in the UK - along with a famicom disk system and hell of a lot of pirated games). The front label (where its supposed to say family computer system - i think) has completely worn off and i'd like to know if there's anyway to get that replaced. Oh and is there supposed to be a switch on the back at the point where it says (ch3 / ch4)?

Cheers to anyone that can help.
    Last edited by lena redmoon; 12-26-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: amend some mistakes