Thread: PS2 Rygar - Amazing

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Rygar - Amazing

I know this game is so old that it's almost a "classic" at this point, but I have to mention that I picked it up for $15 not too long ago and have been having a blast with it.

Amazing graphics and soundtrack. Perfect control and camera angels. One of the few 3D games to get both of those right.

The graphics and control remind me of Ico...you know...just with more killin' and stuff.

[Thread lock alert: I searched for Rygar PS2 and found 331 matches, none of which applied to Rygar for the PS2.]
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, I didn't much care for the game. The atmosphere from the graphics and music is amazing, but I found the level design and combat to be really lackluster. It was a really beautiful tech demo showing just what the playstation was capable of, but I don't think anyone really did a game in that style properly until God of War (which pretty much came out of nowhere to do it all just right).

But yea, that opening of the game (not the opening CG, but when you first take control) was beautiful. I love standing in front of that sunset, heh.

I got lucky and only had to pay $15 for it from EBGames about 2 years ago so I didn't lose much on it; i just felt disappointed after hearing so much good stuff about it.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    To be honest, I didn't much care for the game. The atmosphere from the graphics and music is amazing, but I found the level design and combat to be really lackluster. It was a really beautiful tech demo showing just what the playstation was capable of, but I don't think anyone really did a game in that style properly until God of War (which pretty much came out of nowhere to do it all just right).

But yea, that opening of the game (not the opening CG, but when you first take control) was beautiful. I love standing in front of that sunset, heh.

I got lucky and only had to pay $15 for it from EBGames about 2 years ago so I didn't lose much on it; i just felt disappointed after hearing so much good stuff about it.
    this game was good, but I had minor issues with the camera angles, and how you zoomed out sometimes when you were going places on the level... but the game is fun, I got far in it, and put it down, I have been meaning to go back and finish it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was a very good game... I enjoyed it a lot... the original Rygar was epic... and this was a good tribute to the game that I loved... short, but VERY fun...
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

I loved the original , I may rent it though if you say it's as fun as the original.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea i bought this game because people told me it was good. I personally thought it sucked. i thought it was a lot of run run, kill worms, run run, pick up something, run run, kill more worms, run run jump run run, pick something else up, run run run run, kill boss. seriously i took it back cause i couldn't stand to have it in my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the game for $5 from Blockbuster... well worth it

The game is short and it gets a bit repetitive, but the graphics are some of the best on the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycarl
    yea i bought this game because people told me it was good. I personally thought it sucked. i thought it was a lot of run run, kill worms, run run, pick up something, run run, kill more worms, run run jump run run, pick something else up, run run run run, kill boss. seriously i took it back cause i couldn't stand to have it in my collection.
    The game is very "old school" in its level design. It's no doubt that what you just said is true. But, that's one of the reasons I like it. It's a good game to sit down with and have some fun without having to memorize 18 different control schemes, or wonder where you have to go next.

I'm not discounting your opinion. I can see where someone may find it too simple if that type of thing doesn't appeal to them.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the PS2 version of Rygar was a damn good game.

Positives:
    beautiful graphics
    fun gameplay
    retained the "feel" of the original
    great music

Negatives:
    slightly on the short side
    gameplay gets repetative later in the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before people were able to compare this to god of war, Rygar was one of the kings of action games on ps2. Its simple yet fun combo system was great, and I rarely had problems with the camera. The graphics were beatiful, and the character designs (cmon who couldent love the first boss?) were all well done.
    I always reccomended whis game to friends, unfortunately none of them bought it (as I mainly forced Ico and Beyong G&E on them first) but this is definitly a classic for the ps2.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love the game too, but oe thing that annoyed me was that there was only one tune in the whole game that was borrowed from the original. Plus, it was only in a hidden bonus stage.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    Before people were able to compare this to god of war...
    I've seen quite a few people compare Rygar to God of War in this very thread, and in other places. To be honest, I've never played God of War, but the impression I've received of the game is that it is pretty gory and deserves its "mature" rating.

The thing with Rygar is, it's not gory or "mature" at all. My 2 1/2 year old daughter watches it with me and "helps" me fight the bosses. I'd never let her watch a game with me that I felt was "mature". Sure, Rygar is violent. But it's violent in the same way Bugs Bunny cartoons are violent. The monsters are all fantasy and there is little (if any) blood.

Again, this is a positive for me. I like the innocence of the old school games and Rygar has that.

Others have also mentioned the game's short length. We've discuseed this in other forums, and I'm not dragging the argument up again, but another positive for me is the short length. Action games shouldn't be longer than 8 to 10 hours. Heck, even a 4 hour action game is fine with me, just as long as it's quality and involving from start to finish.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How long is this one? I bought it before leaving Japan (for 300 yen I think) but haven't gotten around to it. This thread has inspiried me to get off my ass and play it though.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    Before people were able to compare this to god of war, Rygar was one of the kings of action games on ps2.
    It's ironic, but one of the reasons I wasn't interested in God of War when it came out was because people were comparing it to Rygar. It took a real leap of faith to finally pick it up and give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. It's everything Rygar wasn't... extremely interesting combat system, brilliant level design, etc. The one area where Rygar still shines above all though is in the soundtrack. My lord was that a goodie.

While not exact same genre, I felt Mark of Kri was a much better game (until the last level ) than Rygar.

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames
    I've seen quite a few people compare Rygar to God of War in this very thread, and in other places. To be honest, I've never played God of War, but the impression I've received of the game is that it is pretty gory and deserves its "mature" rating.

The thing with Rygar is, it's not gory or "mature" at all. My 2 1/2 year old daughter watches it with me and "helps" me fight the bosses. I'd never let her watch a game with me that I felt was "mature".
    Oh, you simply must give God of War a go sometime when the daughter is away/asleep/not there. It is quite gory and there's plenty of nudity to go around (ok, I can understand the breasts everywhere, but i really don't think they had thongs back then...), but the core gameplay is just so. damned. awesome.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rygar for the nes was a good game, but I just couldn't get into it. I would only play it for 5-10 mins at a time then get bored of it. Probably around the same amount of time that I played it on one of those nes arcade machines where you play one of about 25 games for like 3 mins. Can't remember the name of the thing now though. :/

I'll probably give the ps2 game a shot though.