Thread: Generations of Consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Generations of Consoles.

Of each generation of home consoles (programmables), which do you think is the best?

First:
    Atari VCS (2600)
    Odyssey 2
    Astrocade
    Coleco Telstar Arcade (yeah, right...)
    RCA Studio 2
    Fairchild Channel F

Second:
    Intellivision (tough choice, here!)

Third:
    Atari 5200
    ColecoVision
    Vectrex
    Arcadia 2001

Fourth:
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Atari 7800
    Sega Master System

Fifth:
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    TurboGrafx-16
    Neo-Geo

Sixth:
    (Note that this is the early 1990s, and it gets a bit hazy here. The new thing- CD gaming- was appearing on various infomercials at this point. Also, unlike the previous generations, several years might have elapsed before all of these systems were in play, but they were all part of this generation.)
    CD-i
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo-64

Seventh:
    Sega Dreamcast
    Playstation 2
    Nintendo Gamecube
    X-Box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

First- Atari VCS (2600). Remember how excited we were when Activision released its first games? And when we first fired it up with Combat- drrr-drr-drrr-drrr...

Second- Intellivision. I love these easy choices!

Third- ColecoVision. Lord of the Dungeon and Spy Hunter only made it better. Bejeweled, even more so! This console simply has the best overall collection, at least to me. The homebrews have added even more variety (Amazing Snake and 421).

Fourth- NES. It's got some classic arcade games (Galaga and Elevator Action) I like.

Fifth- None.

Sixth- None, but if I had to choose, then it would be the Playstation, because of Spyro the Dragon and those Classic Collections. If I purchased any of the more recent systems, this would be it.

Seventh- None.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Generations of Consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    Of each generation of home consoles (programmables), which do you think is the best?

First:
    Atari VCS (2600)
    Odyssey 2
    Astrocade
    RCA Studio 2
    Fairchild Channel F

Second:
    First off, the Intellivision definitely belongs in the same generation as the VCS, O2, and Astrocade.

Having said that, I'd pick the VCS, with the Astrocade a close second and the INTV third.

Third:
    Atari 5200
    ColecoVision
    Vectrex
    Arcadia 2001
    Atari 5200, then either Vectrex or CV

Fourth:
    Atari 7800
    Sega Master System
    Hmm, I didn't really like any of these very much. I'd probably choose the SMS, but I'm not very knowledgeable about any of them.

Fifth:
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    TurboGrafx-16
    Neo-Geo
    I'm leaning toward the Genesis, but the SNES is right up there with it. I liked the sound better on the SNES, but the Genesis just felt faster. Same reason I always preferred the VCS to the Intellivision. In videogames, speed matters.

Sixth:
    (Note that this is the early 1990s, and it gets a bit hazy here. The new thing- CD gaming- was appearing on various infomercials at this point. Also, unlike the previous generations, several years might have elapsed before all of these systems were in play, but they were all part of this generation.)
    CD-i
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo-64
    Another tough call. None of these systems have a lot of games I know and like, but they all have a few. The one I am most familiar with is the Jag, and I love T2k, D2k, Protector, Highlander, Rayman, and Cannon Fodder. I'm sure I'm leaving others out too, but these are what comes to mind right now. Worms is also very good.

The PSX has a few games I like also. And I like the Saturn hardware a lot, although I haven't used it enough to know much about the games.

I can't fairly pick out of this group.

Seventh:
    Sega Dreamcast
    Playstation 2
    Nintendo Gamecube
    X-Box
    Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I have to disagree with you on one thing- the Intellivision was a generation apart from the earlier systems, but too early to be included with the CV, 5200, etc.. It was a sort of fluke. With B-17 Bomber, a good one at that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First :2600. I doubt anyone is really going to argue that one :mrgreen:

Second: Well since there's not a whole lot of choice here, how about your favorite model. I always liked the super pro system the best, just because it's the coolest looking.

Third: 5200, it always has been my favorite system. I don't care what anyone says the controllers were ahead of thier time, and when they work, they rock :bangurhead:

Fourth : NES just for the number and variety of the games. All those weird and useless controllers are pretty cool too.

Fifth: I always preferred the genny back in the day. Without any neo geo experience and very little TG-16 I don't think I could really say now.

Sixth: Saturn without a doubt. I thought it was the best back in the day and I still do. It was the first online console in the US (that I know of) and the games just seemed more fun. The N64 comes in second just for being the last cart based console, and for zelda :Fade-color

Seventh: Dreamcast. It was the only console I ever got on the first day, and I haven't regretted it since.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. 2600
    2. Duh?
    3. C64 (not on the list? Too bad!)
    4. SMS (that's what I owned at the time so I have a soft spot)
    5. Genesis
    6. Saturn (recently aquired, never touch my PSX anymore)
    5. Dreamcast (great system design, still relavent)

Wow, I guess I like Sega!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. I was going to say what about the 32x and Sega CD! but then I realized it wouldn't change the fact that the neo-geo was still better.

I'm going to go

1st: Intellivision

2nd: C64

3rd: SMS had more power but NES is god here

4th: I'd say Neo-Geo but the price-performance still sucks, never owned it. SNES

5th: It's a real toss up for me on this one.. I want to go with PS1 just because of the shear # of good games.. but I love Shooters and my Saturn.. and my N64 platformers.. AHHHHHHHH
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

1st gen the Atari 2600- that's what got me into gaming.

Skipped 2nd gen and jmuped to 3rd with the C=64.

4th gen the NES definitly. that got me into modern gaming as it is today.

5th gen the SNES and Genesis.

6th gen the N64 and PSX.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Computers aren't allowed here- only consoles. Note that the Sega CD and 32X all fall under "Genesis," just as the Starpath Supercharger would fall under "Atari VCS (2600)."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

First:
    Atari VCS (2600)

Second:

Third:
    ColecoVision

Fourth:

Fifth:
    Neo-Geo

Sixth:
    Sony Playstation

Seventh:
    This one is TOO HARD! Sega Dreamcast for it's flexibility and high quality library, including emulation! Playstation 2 for its backward compatibility, making it the most versatile console on the market! Nintendo Gamecube for its size and - at the moment - best library of games! AND X-Box, for it's sheer power and potential. I have a favorite but I can't say which is BEST.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I'm 19 and never really got into the really old stuff I won't judge those. Although I would like to say I can't stand the odessey 2.

SMS is my first system. I have quite a lot of games for it and I love it dearly. I never really got into the nes. I had one a few years ago with some games, but it's just not my thing. So SMS is the winner.

What counts for the SMS also counts for the genesis. I never really got into other consoles from that age.

Next:
    CD-i
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo-64
    I can't stand cd-i... it's like a vcr with cd's and bad games.
    Never had a 3d0
    I have a jaguar, but only with a few games. I don't think there are very good games for it, but maybe I'm wrong. Clearly not a winner.
    I have 125 games for the saturn and a lot of them suck. There are some gems in it that make it worthwile though.
    Playstation is like a saturn... but a lot better and more diverse. Playstaation has everything.
    As much as I try I can't get to like the n-64. I don't like the blurry graphics, don't like the nintendo games and the controller is horrible.
    Playstation is the obvious winner.

Dreamcast wins the last round.
    I have a ps2 with 8 games. I don't have a game cube or xbox, but I have a dreamcast with 66 games.... It's hard not to prefer it over other systems like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Computers will always be at the top of my gaming list.. I like my computer more then my n64/ps2 dc but I didn't post that.. I posted the C64 because it was IMHO the killer of consoles and the start of the end for all cart systems in 1983-84.. I really still feel the C64 was a big factor in the Crash.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

First:
    Atari VCS (2600)
    Odyssey 2
    Astrocade
    RCA Studio 2
    Fairchild Channel F

Second:
    I have to go with noahsmybro and say these all belong together. Jus my opinion, however. Also, I don't really think you can consider the Telstar Arcade as anything other than a glorified Pong machine. Though it had cartredges, they weren't roms, rather they were General Instruments "Pong on a chip" chips. Close, but not quite the same as the others.

Now that I've nitpicked, I'd say the Atari 2600, hands down. Despite it's shortcomings, the games were, and are, the most fun. The INTV loses points for having too many two player only games and the worst controllers ever, and the Odyssey 2 just doesn't have enought titles period (though the good ones are really killer.)

Third:
    Atari 5200
    ColecoVision
    Vectrex
    Arcadia 2001
    Again, to nitpick, I really see the Vectrex as being a different animal altogether, but hey, it's your list Tought call though, I'd have to give the edge to the CV for the simple fact that it has many more exclusive games than the 5200. I like both, but I lived a lot longer without a 5200, if that tells you anything.

Fourth:
    Atari 7800
    Sega Master System
    NES for software, SMS for hardware. I always felt the SMS was a "better" machine, but thanks, in part, to the big N having the industry on lockdown, it never got the goods when it came to the games. The Sega stuff was always top notch, though.

Fifth:
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    TurboGrafx-16
    Neo-Geo
    Much easier choice here. Genesis by a mile. The Neo was/is an amazing machine, but it's just too damn expansive to be practical. TG-16, I still don't get what all the fuss is over. I guess all the good titles never made it over here, because I just don't see a whole I'm interested in (plus the cover art is second only to the Arcadia 2001 in terms of being piss poor.)

SNES, I still am not into. Sure, there are some fun, classic games, but I guess I was just the kind of person Sega was looking to market to, the kind of person who was growing tired of "Nintendo type" games. The Genny is, to me, all about the action games. That's more my style.

Sixth:
    CD-i
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo-64
    PSX, if we're not counting imports, Saturn, if we are. I had a lot of good times on the PSX, but the machine I still play today is the Saturn. Of course, it's mostly imports. It's like Sega was trying to fail. *Sigh*

Seventh:
    Sega Dreamcast
    Playstation 2
    Nintendo Gamecube
    X-Box
    Again, easy one. Dreamcast by a looong shot. I was thinking about this the other day. I bought my DC about the time Crazy Taxi came out. Within a year a had at least 30 or so games. I bought my PS2 a little closer to launch but after owning it for well over a year, I only have 5 games and could probably live without 2 of those. Xbox and GC, I still haven't seen anything that interests me there.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My picks...

First: Odyssey 2

The 2600 runs a close second, but I have so many fond memories of the Odyssey 2.

Second: Intellivision

Had it been listed, I would've gone with the Apple II instead of the Intellivision.

Third: Atari 5200

Tough pick, but I've gotta go with the 5200. Better controllers.

Fourth: Nintendo Entertainment System

Don't get me wrong, I do like the 7800, but its lifespan wasn't enough to accumulate a decent library. I'm a fairly recent NES convertee.

Fifth: I've never played any of the consoles listed, so I'm gonna go with the original Game Boy here.

Sixth: Sony Playstation

By a whopping vast margin.

Seventh: again, I haven't even so much as played anything on any of the modern machines. I'm a Luddite. A throwback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Needs work?

I think this list could use a bit of revision. There should be fewer generations, possibly five or less. Systems like the Intellivision, 3DO, Sega CD, 32X, Vectrex, Virtual Boy, etc. should be grouped as "transitional systems" and not part of a generation, since they are superior/different in some ways but aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generation. Also, Japanese systems would need a different classification, since upgrades and add-ons are more prevalent in the Land of the Rising Sun (PC Engine anyone?). But anyway, here's my lst:

1. N/A I'm a young 'un. :-p
    2. N/A
    3. Coleco All the way!!
    4.NES
    5.SNES
    6.Saturn

And after that it's been a veritable cornucopia of games from various new systems, but mostly on Dreamcast. I think Sega's little system had the best Good Game:Crap Game ratio ever.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First:
    Atari VCS (2600)
    Odyssey 2
    Astrocade
    RCA Studio 2
    Fairchild Channel F
    I had a 2600 and I barely touched it. If Atari was one of the top consoles of the time....eh.

Second:

Third:
    Atari 5200
    ColecoVision
    Vectrex
    Arcadia 2001
    In these periods, still nothing drew me into home gaming.

Fourth:
    Atari 7800
    Sega Master System
    The NES! The console of my youth and wet drea--err, of my youth!

Fifth:
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    TurboGrafx-16
    Neo-Geo
    ALL of the systems are great. Really, you cant go wrong with any of them, unless you have a standard TG16 w/o the CD add on. Some truly GREAT games were on the discs, especially import stuff.

Sixth:
    CD-i
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo-64
    Playstation, no doubt.

Seventh:
    Sega Dreamcast
    Playstation 2
    Nintendo Gamecube
    X-Box
    Too ealy too judge but i was truly digging the DC.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HM....

I'm going to start with fourth generation. My first system was an NES, and though i've played the earlier ones, I don't have enough experience to make the call correctly.

Fourth: NES. Lots of great games, bright, colorful graphics, and, at the time, I hadn't even heard of the Master System

Fifth: Tough choice. I've actually never layed my hands on a neo geo. The TG-16 had severe dearth of good games. Genesis was okay, but it's games just didn't have the feel I was looking for. Nintendo's the winner here again. Decent controller, better graphics and sound than my genesis.

Sixth: I like my playstation, my saturn, and my N64. Tough choice. N64 literally has the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I'm just now learning that Saturn had some awesome games (I just picked up Guardian Heroes, Metal Slug, and Nights). The Playstation has an exstensive software library. For this one, I'm going to have to go with the playstation (although I hate to do so), because I've just logged more hours on it, that's all.

Seventh: Well, I only own a Dreamcast and a GameCube so far, don't have moeny to pick up the other two, although I've played the PS2 quite a bit. For now, I'll have to go with Dreamcast. My Gamecube's great so far, but I'm really going to miss the quality of the games on Dreamcast.