View Poll Results: Will you dedicate the time to beat a game the second time around?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way. Too many games to spend my time on just one

14 27.45%
  • YES. The games I play I LOVE and get something out of it each time.

28 54.90%
  • Once back when I owned 1 game and was grounded for 1 month in my room

9 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You up for Sloppy Seconds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default You up for Sloppy Seconds?

I was looking at the gamefaqs guides to get some quick info on Shining Force. One of the walkthrus indicated he played thru 20+ times to try and get different results.

dear lord.

I couldn't even play Silent Hill thru the second time to try and get a different ending. I just lose interest once the game has been beat.

I'm only talking about games that are 1 player, not online, and have an ending. So games Mortal Komat,Halo and Phantasy Star Online do not count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Games? Not really.

The band? Sure, but in small doses.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I really missed a lot, or didn't get all the time stones. LOL How I love Sonic CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I've played many games through many times, but only the games I think are masterpieces. I'd say I've played through Chrono Trigger and earthbound > 20 times and FF3(6) about 15.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never played a game through two times. Its not that I have never wanted to, its just that I would rather experience just a few parts again. Sometimes I wish there was a highlight real on games that I could just replay certain bosses, etc. again. Although I won't nessecarily play something through twice, I do go back to the game after I have completed it just to screw around, especially in Zelda: Majora's Mask. I have probably beaten the final boss 10-15 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've "beat" and played through only two games twice.. Space Channel 5, and Viewtiful Joe. And that's mostly because when you beat them once, it opens up some new things for the second go-round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends what you mean. I've beaten Super Mario 64 at least 20 times (but that only means beating Bowser at the end). If you mean 'full out completing' the game, then that's a different story. However, I've probably gotten all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 5 times.... and onnce all in one day .
    Other than that game, I couldn't really see myself beating a game more than once (other than, of coarse, short NES games or whatever).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely. Especially if it's one of those "collecting" games where you can finish without getting 100% your first time through. I like to go back in and clean up the file. Or start a fresh file and do a 100% completion run.

I tend to spend my money on games with high replay value. I don't like games where once you've played it, there's no point in keeping it......like a game that has a big secret at the end and discovering that secret was the whole reason to play it in the first place.

I go for RPGs, crawlers, racers, FPS, schmups and games like Mario 64 because I can run through them countless times. The Dreamcast is an awesome system because almost everything on it is arcade in nature and designed to be played many times over.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i quite often go through games for a second or third time... i just do it for value for money on certain titles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Adventure for the Atari 2600 count? I've "finished" that game more times than I can count . Granted you can finish it in a whole 5 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

all the time. I usually don't play a game properly the first time through though, and cane it through (Ie, FFVII). after I have completed it, or almost completed it, i'll go back at a later date and take my time, knowing what is ahead of me.

In the case of FFVII, I played it through as fast as I could, not actually bothering to learn the Materia combinations or Chocobo breeding or anything like that. I didn't even do the two Weapons. I managed to beat the game, and then decided to go back a few months later and actually take the time and make the effort to play through at a reasonable pace, and get everything.

Some games you actually have to play through a second or third time to actually get the whole of the story. Resident Evil II for example. You have to play it through with Leon, then with Claire. Or, with Claire and then Leon...

Other games, like Parasite Eve II or Silent Hill, you have multiple endings, so have to play through at least twice to get all the endings...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can replay shooters like life force and super contra and still get great fun out of them every time I play, but for the most part I detest replaying games - not enough time to beat games the first time let alone multiple times.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had a nickel for every playthrough of Mario and Mario 3, I'd be a rich man. I also played through Ico several times.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

I've Replayed Games That I really enjoy. Some Such as X-com I've never stopped playing.

I have to admit that most of the games I do replay are because there really is nothing else like them or they are just fantastic.

Fallout, X-com, Chrono trigger, Dragon Force, Armored Core, Military madness, just to name a few.

Honestly having played games since I was a pup. I can see Alot of games try to Build off some of those titles. But never seem to get it right. Too bad to because I would certainly go for some good titles that were inspired by those games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have been a few games I've played through at least twice or more. Games like Super Mario RPG, Zelda, Illusion of Gaia, etc. In a lot of cases I'd rather play through a game I know is good then to take my chances playing a game that might be crap.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: You up for Sloppy Seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    One of the walkthrus indicated he played thru 20+ times to try and get different results.
    I feel sorry for him. He's poor and can't afford another game - he plays the same one again-and-again!

Only games I replay are top #1 games like Zelda Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy 10. Usually only twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

It depends what you mean. I've beaten Super Mario 64 at least 20 times (but that only means beating Bowser at the end). If you mean 'full out completing' the game, then that's a different story.
    Thats what I mean start to finsh.. all over again.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

It would have to be a really good game for me to play through it again. For example, I've probably played through Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap about 5-7 times, but I can't think of any other game that I've played that much. Heck, I don't usually finish a game once, let alone twice!
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said no because very, very rarely will I play through a game again, even if I loved it. And by playing through it, I'm taking that as start to finish... Redoing things to get them to 100% or better times isn't "beating it again" to me, nor is just playing the final boss again.

There are a few exceptions to this:

Mario
    Mario 3
    Earthbound
    Tempest 2000 (Jaggy only)

Those five I consider to be so good that I will play them start-to-finish on average once a year.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nowadays, I only play through a game once, mainly because I simply have far too many games that I haven't fully experienced to be replaying ones I have. It just doesn't feel right. When I was a kid, though, I'd play through the same few games over and over because I pretty much didn't have a choice. I kinda miss those days, in a way. At least I didn't have trouble deciding what to play! :/

There are some exceptions, though; I still play through these games once in awhile when I feel like it:

Earthbound
    Chrono Trigger
    Mega Man 2
    Mega Man 3
    Mega Man X
    Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan

and probably a few more I'm forgetting.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."