Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Xbox 360 CPU is greater than 3ghz?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Xbox 360 CPU is greater than 3ghz?

It sounds like it does according to this new article.

I always thought it was going to be 2ghz.

"The IBM-built chip features three customized PowerPC computing engines that can each handle two simultaneous tasks at clock speeds greater than 3 gigahertz. It was customized for Microsoft in less than 24 months from the original contract."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm confused now. Is that clocked with half of the processor working on one thing, and the other half on the other, instead of using all 4 or 6 like it can do? I would understand how that would give it increased speeds.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wikipedia says both the 360 and ps3 are 3200 megahertz

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I under stand the 360 will have Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each. From a technical standpoint that is power that cannot be denied.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What I don't understand is how a home console can have that much processing power, when the top range PC's are more or less the same.

My PC is a twin 3.4ghz Intel P4, so it seems hard to believe that the next wave of home consoles will be able to match it! What is the point in having a PC in the first place in that case, if consoles are going to be just as good (Or better) than them?

I didn't shell out £2,500 just for some punk-ass 13 year old GameFAQ's geek to say "Yeah, but my PS3 / X360 is just as powerful...", because you just know that's what is going to happen...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    My PC is a twin 3.4ghz Intel P4, so it seems hard to believe that the next wave of home consoles will be able to match it! What is the point in having a PC in the first place in that case, if consoles are going to be just as good (Or better) than them?
    Because your PC will have a 20 gigahertz cpu in 2010, while consoles are still stuck at 3.2

Not as clear-cut as the 1980s is it? Back then wecould get a 16-bit computer while Atari/nintendo were still stuck at 8-bit. Or a 1000 megahertz pentium, while ps1/n64 were still <100 megahertz. The PC-console gap is shrinking.

Consoles caught-up to Arcades & soon they'll do the same to PC gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But who is to say that in three years time, they won't come up with a next generation...

Am I also mistaken, but aren't they having difficulties in breaking the 4ghz barrier in PC's, simply because the processors get far too hot and they can't keep them cold enough. Only PC's I know of that run higher than 4ghz are custom ons which have been overclocked and have nuclear cooling systems or something... :/

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the point in having a PC in the first place in that case, if consoles are going to be just as good (Or better) than them?
    PC isnt a pure gaming machine. Its used for "everything"
    Consoles are mainly made for gaming only (movies and music too). Consoles doesnt need upgrade either.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But who is to say that in three years time, they won't come up with a next generation...

??? 3 years? No post-1990 generation's been that short, has it? Sony says their ps3 is good for 10 years. I don't believe it, but probably 6 years at least - 2012 - before we see a ps4.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not for us to understand. That what makes it so great.
    Multiple core is not new to pc's. Servers use multiple cpus.
    To be able get that power for 300 to 400 dollars is a steal.

It is the razor blade /razor theory Gillette lose's money on the razors but makes a killing on the blades.

What kills me is people will sit and try to analyze and knock the 360 without understanding its true power.

From a tech point of view I don't care what the ps3 puts out the with proper programming the xbox 360 will be able to do it.

I will tell you this the software has not caught up to the hardware.. I have yet to see a game come out and the requirement is a 3.2 core minimum. Half life 2 minimum was 1.2ghz recommended 2.4ghz.

That is why when the 360 comes out don't expect mind blowing games initially. It is a year or 2 that the real power will be displayed.

To break it down and make it easier to understand. A man is in the room and can lift 300lbs if you put 75lbs in one hand and 75lbs in the other hand even Though I can lift 300lbs if 200lb comes along I will have to free up one hand to lift the 200lbs.

Now if there are 3 men in the room that can lift 300lb apeice in theory 900lbs can be lifted at the same time. That is why I believe microsoft went ahead and released the 360 because in the end the system is way ahead of it time. cpu power is cpu power. All for games amazing.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I also mistaken, but aren't they having difficulties in breaking the 4ghz barrier in PC's, simply because the processors get far too hot and they can't keep them cold enough. Only PC's I know of that run higher than 4ghz are custom ons which have been overclocked and have nuclear cooling systems or something... :/
    i dont think the problem is keeping them cool -- its keeping them cool dirt cheap - materials science will find something that will help this problem - also the posibilty of a "diferent kind" of proccessor is not far fetched (for a few years down the road)
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mhz is definitely not everything. Google for Carmack's observations on Xbox360 vs. PC performance, those IBM cores can't really hold up to more general-purpose cores like Athlon 64 and P4/P4D.

And, they don't have to, they will be more than adequate, the real focus is on the graphics subsystem. Over the years, more and more processing has been moving from the cpu onto the gpu when it comes to what matters in games.

In games, these days the gpu is *the* crucial element for performance. I did an expirament with a couple systems and found it funny :

New 3.6Ghz P4 Dell with ATI X300 PCI-Express Video, 2048MB of DDR-II, was outrun by a 4-year old Athlon 1.2Ghz with 512mb and a Geforce 6600GT. Doom III, Same OS, same resolution, same settings. The better video card (from the same generation!) trumped 2.4ghz clock difference and 1536MB of additional (and faster) memory.

For a PC/Windows platform, the Xbox360 processor performance would probably be roughly equal to a 2.6Ghz P4, according to reasonable estimations. Couple that with the combination of a cutting-edge gpu and a *much* cleaner custom OS that doesn't bog down like Windows, and you get a game platform that will probably run equal to Dual-Core Athlon 64 or P4Ds.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    From a tech point of view I don't care what the ps3 puts out the with proper programming the xbox 360 will be able to do it. microsoft went ahead and released the 360 because in the end the system is way ahead of it time. cpu power is cpu power. All for games amazing.

Than why does the PS3 metal gear solid demo look soooooo much better than any of the X360 demos? All the 360 character models look like freaking toys with their extremely shiny skin. The Metal Gear Solid demo is teh r03Kers! Makes the 360 look like previous gen.

sorry couldn't resist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    From a tech point of view I don't care what the ps3 puts out the with proper programming the xbox 360 will be able to do it.

Than why does the PS3 metal gear solid demo look soooooo much better than any of the X360 demos? All the 360 character models look like freaking toys with their extremely shiny skin. The Metal Gear Solid demo is the r03Kers! Makes the 360 look like previous gen.

sorry couldn't resist

Prove it. Show me proof of an actual PS3 console running that demo.

Sorry, couldn't resist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, both the Xbox360 and PS3 are more than capable of producing outstanding visuals, what it comes down to is what kinds of games you want to play.

I had a Xbox, loathed Halo (prefer PCs for FPS), and sold it pretty quickly after I didn't find any other interesting titles.

I had a PS2, had fun with a few games, and sold it, got into more PC RPGs and FPS.

I may check into the PS3, I doubt I'll ever touch a 360.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1

i dont think the problem is keeping them cool -- its keeping them cool dirt cheap - materials science will find something that will help this problem - also the posibilty of a "diferent kind" of proccessor is not far fetched (for a few years down the road)
    It's constantly five years between console generations, except with Sony who wants to only upgrade once every 10 years. The reason the Xbox 360 is coming out when it is now is because it is forcing Sony's hand early. Sony didn't want a new console now. They wanted more profit out of the current one. Microsoft wanted to develop a new console that would cater better to consumer's wants, so the Xbox 360 was born, and then Sony was forced to develop the PS3. Why are there all these rumors that it is delayed? Because Sony isn't altogether that serious about it, which I do feel will bite them in the ass.

As for console's getting better processing power and computers getting better processing power, what is going to happen is more specialized processing. A 20GHz processor isn't that much better than a 4GHz processor if your RAM and GPU are going to be relatively similar. My computer at home is slower than my work computer, but it plays games MUCH better because it has a performance graphics card it in.

In general, I think we'll see more dual-core GPUs, and if we don't go beyond 3 to 4GHz in the future, it won't matter too much.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prove it. Show me proof of an actual PS3 console running that demo.
    Not poking fun at the X360. I was poking at YOU (friendly of course). Re-read you last post - we can almost see the drool. You're an Xbox fan - even if Microsoft put a slow 500 megahertz machine, you'd say it was the best.

PS3 Demo Pics:
    http://www.forum-125.com/c/ikonboard...ear+solid+demo

That link includes a playable movie of actual ps3 hardware (minus the GPU which don't exist yet).

k

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not poking fun at the X360. I was poking at YOU (friendly of course).

Re-read you last post - we can practically see the drool. You're an Xbox fan. Biased.

PS3 Demo Pics:
    http://www.forum-125.com/c/ikonboard...ear+solid+demo
    As opposed to someone with 'PSX' in their name .. doesn't count as bias?

Seriously, I had an Xbox and hated it. Oh well. From everything I can tell, the 360 will be more of the same. I guess I'm biased against it because of my experince with it's predecessor. I remember trying to play a DVD on it, and it not working because I didn't have the DVD kit. Boy was I pissed. DVDs played on my PS2 withOUT spending $XX on a damned kit.

I'm not sure I had a point here

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Than why does the PS3 metal gear solid demo look soooooo much better than any of the X360 demos? All the 360 character models look like freaking toys with their extremely shiny skin. The Metal Gear Solid demo is the r03Kers! Makes the 360 look like previous gen.

sorry couldn't resist
    Konami has always put out a great looking Metal Gear game
    I'm sure when the konami team work on the game for the 360 i'm sure it will look just as great. But i'm not impressed with Demo presentation video I want to see it running in a machine with a controller in hand being played.

I give microsoft all the credit in the world for being honest they come to the expo shows with real PLAYABLE games not what will be. They could have very well played the just video of what it will look like game. remember the Ps2 expo that show the old mans face, the emotion engine hype, did sony even come close to the hype specs of the ps2. I think not. I am from the will believe when I really see it group.
    neo geo system

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaign
    As opposed to someone with 'PSX' in their name .. doesn't count as bias?
    kevin_psx sounded cool. Other option was harleykevin! I'm biased but not by hardware. I always end up liking the weakest least-powerful console (atari, nes, ps1, et cetera). ??? Don't know why?

Next-gen I have no favorite yet. Taking a 'wait-and-see' attitude.

k