Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Bio Force Ape

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
    but I seem to recall at one time DP didn't show its threads unless you're logged in
    The Off Topic forum (and its topics) is not visible if you haven't logged in. Everything else is good.

I'm pretty sure it was ever thus.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if it's the real deal... please for the love of god, no not dump.

I've been following this mystery since the beginning and I've got my money lined up on the buttery goodness.

I'm curious as to what Seta came up with for the proto... but i'm more interested in the hard work that ProgAce has devoted to his version and he deserves to be in the spotlight for the efforts he's poured into the project more than a musty old proto that's been sitting in someone's basement for 20 years. Hands down.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap! Bio Force Twins and Mimi being set-up as a contingent patsy? 陰謀!
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by obesolete View Post
    Good idea, I'll let a piece of videogame history die because someone wanted to use its characters for a homebrew game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been following this mystery since the beginning and I've got my money lined up on the buttery goodness.

I'm curious as to what Seta came up with for the proto... but i'm more interested in the hard work that ProgAce has devoted to his version and he deserves to be in the spotlight for the efforts he's poured into the project more than a musty old proto that's been sitting in someone's basement for 20 years. Hands down.
    I would like to see Bio Force Ape released very much! But that doesn't take away that I'm hugely interested in the remake of ProgrammerAce & co and will buy the release one day 1.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
    I would like to see Bio Force Ape released very much! But that doesn't take away that I'm hugely interested in the remake of ProgrammerAce & co and will buy the release one day 1.
    ... wasn't it already released?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... wasn't it already released?
    Just the competition cart. As far as I know the final game has still yet to be released. I'm waiting for that one- as I don't really have enough money for both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as a courtesy,... and this is just my oppinion; if the proto were to be dumped(and I know it will be) why not wait until after the homebrew is finished and distributed?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I am a bastard, no denying that.
    Indeed. I could help myself either.

Better to think it was fake than ruin Red's surprise.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as a courtesy,... and this is just my oppinion; if the proto were to be dumped(and I know it will be) why not wait until after the homebrew is finished and distributed?
    The community has waited years for this game to be discovered, and now we're supposed to wait for some homebrew title before being allowed to enjoy it? I don't think so.

The fact that any unreleased game can be discovered decades after it was last seen is amazing, and being that the title discussed here is the holy grail of unreleased NES games this find is nothing short of a miracle.

If you want to save your money for some homebrew, be my guest, but please don't make the rest of us wait any longer for the real thing.

I don't even care if we get the rom to be honest. The fact that it will be documented and preserved by a prototype enthusiast is enough to make me sleep well at night.
    Last edited by BeaglePuss; 04-20-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Excuse me, but that homebrew has been a joint effort between ProgAce and I. Ace has been a joy to collaborate with for the past year or so, but for several months there last summer he literally dropped off the face of the earth and no one could get in touch with him. That meant we could not proceed to finish off the game as scheduled. Nobody anticipated the real game would show up in the interim but it was always a possibility, and yet here we are.

He has been nothing but cordial and super enthused with the project, even giving me first billing on the production credits when I won't argue that he's put in more time on his end code-wise. But just because the project got delayed is no reason to deny the proliferation of the REAL Bio Force Ape, something many people have been waiting for nearly 20 years now. The REAL Bio Force Ape is the reason you are posting in here to begin with.

I made this thread to start with. It was of my own motivation to fuck with the lot of you by faking the damn game five years ago because it was an incredible mystery back then, and play up the butter nonsense that I'm not even sure half of you understand. The fact that through this thread's explosion and unwillingness to die (in part to ProgAce's enthusiasm to promote our homebrew) resulted in the real prototype surfacing and coming to Red Eye's attention, elates me to no end. I even ponied up some of my own money to help pay for the auction, money I won't see ever see back just so Bio Force Ape could get dumped and shared.

The truth of the matter is that the real game is indescribably awesome for a NES game, and people will still buy the homebrew after the fact because it was inspired by this thread.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bratwurst For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (12-07-2019)

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    The community has waited years for this game to be discovered, and now we're supposed to wait for some shitty homebrew title before being allowed to enjoy it? I don't think so.

The fact that any unreleased game can be discovered decades after it was last seen is amazing, and being that the title discussed here is the holy grail of unreleased NES games this find is nothing short of a miracle.

If you want to save your money for some hacky homebrew, be my guest, but please don't make the rest of us wait any longer for the real thing.

I don't even care if we get the rom to be honest. The fact that it will be documented and preserved by a prototype enthusiast is enough to make me sleep well at night.
    Um, we are talking about SETA here right? You remember their previous titles... right?

Yes, BFA official is history and needs to be preserved, but I'd bet money that the game is utter crap. I don't know what's in the homebrew, but I'm a gamer and I want to play a *good* game. I'm betting on Prog here. Glad BFA's existence helps you sleep at night 'cause honestly I could give two shits about it.

The homebrew is the work of someone who's working with over 25 year old hardware and making it do new fun things. To me that's way more important. Fun. Gaming. It's why I'm here. Why not try the homebrew when it's fully released before calling it some 'hacky' piece of garbage?

For clarification, I have no stake in BFA either way other than the fact that homebrewers deserve more credit than they receive in the gaming community, and this sort of attitude pisses me right off. Homebrewers keep console scenes alive.
    Last edited by AB Positive; 04-20-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I apparently can't tell that questions require question marks.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I edited my above post slightly. My attitude was directed at the notion that we should wait for the release of BFA due to some fan effort. That seems outlandish to me.

I'm all about gaming, but that's not what's keeping the retro scene alive IMO. I here for the history and preservation more than the gaming aspect.

SETA is undoubtedly atrocious, but no one should be looking forward to the gameplay as much as they should be the history.

I'd rather read about the real thing than play the fake one. I don't think I'm alone in the sentiment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my appologies, Brat. It has slipped my mind that you were the second half of the homebrew. You deserve just as much credit as Prog.

I'm not trying to offend the community by unencouraging the dump, I was jsut trying to back the homebrew first and foremost since it's not finished.
    As is, the prototype is in safe hands and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It can be dumped tomorrow or another 20 years from now, it doesn't matter it's still going to be around and we know where it is.

know what I mean?
    maybe i'm just one of the few that appreciates and understands the time and man hours it takes to collaborate a program so I know what Prog and Brat are going through.
    I just don't want to see the homebrew get shoved on the back burner jsut because the proto turned up. that's all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather read about the real thing than play the fake one. I don't think I'm alone in the sentiment.
    I think the problem is that you are going into this whole affair with the attitude of real versus fake. To say that you would rather read about the real game than play the homebrew I find to be mildly disheartening, especially if I was one of the fine people who is making the new game. Just because these two games share some of the same characters and the same name doesn’t mean that they should be linked in other ways, and as such, should be treated as separate entities.

Am I excited to play the homebrew Bio Force Ape game? Definitely. I think it looked nice when I saw the screenshots from it, and if I can muster up the money, it looks like it would be a great play.

Am I excited to give the original Bio Force Ape a whirl? Sure, it will be neat to see how it plays, and to play another NES game that was made during the NES’s era, and it should be interesting as well.

But I have a definite problem with the homemade Bio Force Ape being slammed like it is garbage or something, just because the actual game surfaced. Just two different thinks entirely, and should be viewed as such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The community has waited years for this game to be discovered, and now we're supposed to wait for some homebrew title before being allowed to enjoy it? I don't think so.

I think you're seriously overplaying this. The overused "Holy Grail" term notwithstanding, it's neat that a game that had such a wonderful prank about it has finally been found and will hopefully be released doesn't change anyone's day to day lives. Unless your priorities are severely skewed.

If you want to save your money for some hacky homebrew, be my guest, but please don't make the rest of us wait any longer for the real thing.
    I think the team working on this deserves a lot more respect than this. This makes you sound like an asshat. I recognize you're frustrated people would call for this game to be delayed because of the homebrew but it's not fair to the people who've been investing so much of themselves in making this homebrew happen.

It's cool that the game's been found and the community is excited about seeing it. If nothing else I think Brat/Prog's homebrew should receive even more attention as the "butterliciousier" version of this game. At the same time, the team who got together and finally found the rom/proto also deserve serious props. Awesome job on that

Really, can't we call just get along?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post

Really, can't we all just get along?
    You're completely correct. I should have thought out my original post as I didn't expect such a reaction.

What I was driving at was the fact that the games are two separate entities, and that the finding of one should have nothing to do with the production of the other. I was irked by the notion that the prototype should wait in favor of the HB release. My words were mixed along the way, and that was completely my own fault.

My apologies for my initial post, as I can assure you my intentions were not to bash the HB BFA.

I've always had a vested interest in unreleased games, so that's were the passion stemmed from. I understand that the only thing that makes this game different than any other unreleased prototype is some 5 year old joke, but it still different none the less.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I probably went a bit over the top there too, and I understand your viewpoint, BeaglePuss. "BFA original" does have an interesting history, but it really just puts people in two different groups:

1) People more into the history than the gameplay efforts

2) People more into the gameplay efforts than the history.

But both can and should be valued. Seems like we're all in agreement on this though so really I'm stating the obvious now.

Oh, and Brat should be commended as well for starting this shindig as well as Prog - not to lessen credit. Also, cocks.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Also, cocks.
    Agreed!

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I didn't think ProgAce would return to finish his homebrew, I kind of developed my own parody of BFA in the tradition of Ms. Space Fury (Just a short battle and event, nothing more) to be added onto my crappy MegaZeux JRPG remake, coming out in a few months. I wanted the DB legacy to live on in some kind of playable form, just in case something bad had happened, and his game couldn't be finished. Good to see that isn't the case.

Sample, not final:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiHDo7TJiM

Just making sure everyone is cool with this before I finish it up. If not, into the recycle bin it goes!

And Seta made Super Real Mahjong PIV, which is the "insert greatest movie ever" of strip mahjong games.