Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Not 100% Backwards Compatible?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 Not 100% Backwards Compatible?

Somewhat surprisingly, SCEI’s Reiko Sakamoto admitted not only that the list of problem games may grow but also that the imminent PS3 will not necessarily be 100% backwards compatible. You heard it here first.

(Via IDG News Service)

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) is launching a limited edition version of its PlayStation 2 to boost holiday sales in Japan. It comes with a special surprise: the inability to play some games smoothly.

SCEI has published a list of nine PlayStation 2 games and 38 PlayStation games that run into problems on the new console. The SCPH-75000 will be available in Japan from Nov. 23, and is modeled on the slim-line PlayStation 2 that SCEI put on sale just under a year ago. In launching the new model, SCEI is using an oft-employed sales-boosting tactic of making a console available in a different color — silver in this case — for a limited period.

However, this time changes made inside the console are causing trouble.

"We believe multiple factors are responsible," said Reiko Sakamoto, a spokeswoman for SCEI in Tokyo. The latest console uses a new chipset — the chip that sits between the main processor and the rest of the device — and changes in that chip coupled with the way some software is programmed are believed to be causing the glitches, she said. The problems are largely screen hang-ups during certain parts of the game but also include glitches such as the slow saving of game data onto memory cards.

The problems were discovered when SCEI began compatibility testing of the new consoles with the roughly 8,000 games that have been released for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles in Japan. Mass production of the consoles had already begun at the time.

As testing isn't complete the list could become longer. SCEI wouldn't specify how many titles remain to be tested but said "most of" the software testing has been completed.

Looking ahead to the PlayStation 3, which SCEI plans to launch in the first half of next year, Sakamoto said that SCEI remains committed to backwards compatibility with existing titles on the new machine.

"It's hard to say the PlayStation 3 will be 100 percent backwards compatible but as we said earlier this year we aim to make it so as much as possible," Sakamoto said.

The latest promotion comes at an important time for the company: ahead of the holiday sales season in Japan and just under three weeks before Microsoft is due to launch its Xbox 360 console in Japan. SCEI hasn't detailed an international launch for the console, which will cost ¥19,800 ($171) in Japan.”
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

No real suprise here. Ok well the compatability of the 75000 is suprising, but not for the PS3.

Hell the PS2 isn't even fully backwards compatiable, but it does support an incredibly large number of PS1 games. I always assumed the ps3 would be the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

9 ps2 games and 38 ps1 games out of 8,000 ain't bad.

Wonder what games they are and if most of them were even released here in the U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Hell the PS2 isn't even fully backwards compatiable, but it does support an incredibly large number of PS1 games. I always assumed the ps3 would be the same way.

Same here.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One would expect that the PS2 should be compatible with all PS2 games? What the hell is wrong? Sony shouldn't be getting away with this. I can understand problems with PS games, but really, they shouldn't release a PS2 that has problems.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

simple solution:

Use a psx to play psx games
    Use a ps2 to play ps2 games
    Use a ps3 to play ps3 games

I do think that is a little messed up that they aren't going to be fully backwards compatible, but i don't feel like anyone should be getting thheir panties twisted up because of it...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the Slim PS2 isn't compatible with FFXI, but no one seemed to care.

I don't see this as a huge issue.
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't find it a huge issue. So many other consoles gave you zero backwards compatibility. I'm glad to get what I get. This is usually only a big deal to haters and fanboys/fangirls. If it is merely less than one percent of titles released that is acceptable to most reasonable people. I'm sure this topic will soon become a hate thread somehow.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: PS3 Not 100% Backwards Compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Somewhat surprisingly, SCEI’s Reiko Sakamoto admitted not only that the list of problem games may grow but also that the imminent PS3 will not necessarily be 100% backwards compatible.

Plan to buy 5 ps2's when they get marked down to $50. I want to still be able to play all my ps1 and 2 games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    One would expect that the PS2 should be compatible with all PS2 games? What the hell is wrong? Sony shouldn't be getting away with this. I can understand problems with PS games, but really, they shouldn't release a PS2 that has problems.
    my thoughts exactly

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the White PSone compatible with all PlayStation games?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    I don't find it a huge issue. So many other consoles gave you zero backwards compatibility. I'm glad to get what I get. This is usually only a big deal to haters and fanboys/fangirls. If it is merely less than one percent of titles released that is acceptable to most reasonable people. I'm sure this topic will soon become a hate thread somehow.
    Except that they are talking about this being a problem with PS2s that they are releasing now. I don't understand why no one is talking about that problem.

Sony is releasing a PS2 RIGHT NOW that doesn't work with all of the PS2 games.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I bought an Xbox and then later found out it wasn't compatible with 10 Xbox games, I would feel pretty ripped off. I guess Sony's QC has just cushioned people from this?

As for the games not working on the PS3, agreed, that isn't a big deal. But the PS2 not playing all PS2 games? That I do see as a problem.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    Plan to buy 5 ps2's when they get marked down to $50. I want to still be able to play all my ps1 and 2 games!
    The PS2 doesn't play all PS1 games. Depending on which PS2 you're talking about (the original or that new one), they have different levels of compatibility. Hell that new PS2 doesn't even play all PS2 games.

Backwards compatibility will never be 100% and I'm okay with that. We've talked about that before; how many PS1 games do you really play on a normal basis on your PS2? And if you think PSX games look bad to your eyes now, wait until you get used to PS3/XBOX360 graphics.

I think they're making an effort and I'm happy with a 90-95% success rate, which they seem to be way above at the moment.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    The PS2 doesn't play all PS1 games.

Yeah. But PS2's 99.9% compatibility is better than the PS3's estimated 80% compatibility. That's my point. And why I want to stock up on spare PS2s.

; how many PS1 games do you really play on a normal basis on your PS2?
    All of them. I like how the smoothing function makes the graphics look better.

Is the White PSone compatible with all PlayStation games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on the games it won't play IMO, I'd be really bumm'd if I couldn't play my copy of Intelligent Cube, Konomi's Greatest Hits or my copy of Rez on a new PS2 model :/

I play alot of PSX titles on my PS2, it's nice playing theim through componet cables on the HDTV, S-Video is soo washed-out on the PSX.

This is really going to come down to whitch games, Now you know Sony won't let the cat out of the bag if they have any say so about the matter

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pollock
    That's because FFXI sucked balls.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra
    Depends on the games it won't play IMO, , Now you know Sony won't let the cat out of the bag if they have any say so about the matter
    Sony lists the PS1 games that don't run on the "old ps2" on their website - like final fantasy anthology. They don't hide flaws.

When Nintendo downgraded the Cube to a non-component video version - they offered to upgrade it to component video for anyone who asked. Wonder if Sony would do the same if you said, "Bought slim ps2 - won't play Rez. Can you fix it?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

who gives a flying f**k
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pollock
    That's because FFXI sucked balls.
    No because the slim PS2 doesn't support the shitty HDD. Technically it does support FFXI but it can't run it because there's no HDD. I beleive if you pop the disc in you get a warning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah. But PS2's 99.9% compatibility is better than the PS3's estimated 80% compatibility. That's my point. And why I want to stock up on spare PS2s.
    Who estimated 80% compatibility? You?